2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Sorry if I am posting in the wrong section, I am new here, please don't eat me.
I was just wondering what are the differences between these versions. I am pretty sure it's about interior equipment and extras, but have no idea what so ever what those differences are actually are.

I am looking for Honda Civic 8th gen right now (1.8 i-VTEC or 2.2 i-CDTi, not sure which one is better, probably very similar). Ideally I would love to buy black one, with glass roof and sat nav (and black alcantara seats), but my budget is only 4-5k so probably never gonna get all of that for 5k.

Really confused about different versions. Please help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
wow, that was a quick response! Thank you very much guys. I didn't know about the wiki before, thank you for that.
This 1.8 Civic is really nice. I defo gonna go and check this car out. Nice website tho, never saw it before. Absolute beginner :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is very confusing. The South African model is also UK built but our models were significantly different. Thought I'd mention our models and features for interest's sake.

No glass roof available.
No satnav available.
No parking sensors available.
Only 1.8 available originally and later 2.2 diesel also.

Two models EXi and VXi.

EXi
Dark blue velour seats with height adjustable driver's seat.
Single zone climate control.
Cooled glovebox.
Drilled aluminium pedals and footrest.
Remote heated side mirrors with indicators.
Front loader cd player with remote audio controls on steering
6 Speed manual or auto box.
Traction control
6 airbags.
Space saver spare wheel.
Power socket in boot.
Front foglights
16" alloy wheels.
Leather covered steering wheel.
Front fog lights

VXi
Same as EXi plus:
Leather seats
Cruise control
17" alloys

I think I covered it all.

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Papyrys, I'm quite a newbie to this Forum and get a bit scared by any chav like people (said in half jest but there are some lippy people about) Definitely not wanting to offend other people though. Anyhow, I've had the Diesel 2.2 CDTi for over a year now. I didn't test drive the 1.8 petrol. Have you test driven both yet?

When I was looking, I too wanted the panoramic sunroof, which only comes as option with the EX, however during my search (live in Berkshire), there were VERY few second hand for sale with the panoramic roof unfortunately. So I bought an ES in the end. No idea if the market has more with panoramic roof at the moment? :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Papyrys, I'm quite a newbie to this Forum and get a bit scared by any chav like people (said in half jest but there are some lippy people about) Definitely not wanting to offend other people though. Anyhow, I've had the Diesel 2.2 CDTi for over a year now. I didn't test drive the 1.8 petrol. Have you test driven both yet?

When I was looking, I too wanted the panoramic sunroof, which only comes as option with the EX, however during my search (live in Berkshire), there were VERY few second hand for sale with the panoramic roof unfortunately. So I bought an ES in the end. No idea if the market has more with panoramic roof at the moment? :)
For now I tested only 2.2 and I loved it! Gonna check 1.8 this weekend.
I also couldn't find EX with glass roof, it's rare I suppose. Sometimes you can't have everything. I will keep looking, test driving, etc. I have to buy it before the end of the may so maybe I will find the one I like :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
isn't 105,000 miles too much? I know it's a diesel, but I feel it's too much :) I was looking for up to 80k :D
I went to a local car dealer to see 2006 2.2 ES version today. It was really clean and immaculate condition inside and out. 79k miles on the clock and £4295 with an offer to consider (I hope he would drop to 4k). I did check the car around myself, but as my knowledge is quite... little I tried to do a little search on the internet and see what I should be aware of when purchasing Honda Civic mk8 in diesel.
I read that early models (55reg, 06reg) are less reliable.
Also they said to check the painting, because it like to corrode.
Next thing is a 1.4 engine which I don't care about. They said diesel engines are good but when something goes wrong, it's pain and costs a lot of money - like all diesels basically.
I also researched wiki a bit, but couldn't find a lot about 2.2. There was a little about clutch problems, but nothing specific and also this:

"The diesel engine can get through a litre of oil in less
than 1000 miles, yet there's no warning light, so check
the dipstick to make sure the oil level hasn't been
neglected. If it has, there could be costly damage to
the engine."

Do you guys know what else I should be aware of? Some specific parts and common issues with 1.8 and 2.2 and other car parts?? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
papyrys81 - I can't help with all the questions in your post but a few things to help:

Bought my Civic ES at about 65k miles (2008). The seltbelt doesn't recoil as easy as you would expect in a car (when you release the seat belt before getting out the car) and I haven't bought a second hand car with that amount of mileage before but would expect something more durable. I didn't notice this before buying the car. Think it's build quality. Had it looked over a few months back, not worth the hassle changing any component/s apparently. I make sure I feed the belt back a little and it's out of the way so I don't trip over it getting out of the car.

Good thing I heard is this Diesel doesn't have a diesel particulate filter, DPF, which is something that can go wrong on diesels.

There are scratches (light ones above one of the rear doors) which I think are due to my car previously being a company car or fleet car so someone was less careful than a private owner and/or being less careful whilst clutching keys/stuff whilst opening the rear door.

I find my cloth seats really comfortable - quite 'cushty'. Though I find it hard to reach the clutch pedal (even adjusting the seat forwards backwards and up and down, sometimes the clutch feels too 'far away'). But this is more of a preference thing and I am short; 5ft 3in and a half.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi pal, spend a little more and purchase the EX 1.8
I have the EX model, love it to bits.
Mine has :
SAT NAV
PAN ROOF
FULL LEATHERS
PARKING SENSORS
AUTO WIPERS
AUTO HEADLIGHTS
VOICE CONTROL

You will get a lot of car for you money.

Let us know what you go for.

Cheers.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts