2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - newbie here!

I run a 2004 Accord CTDi which is starting to show its age, and am looking at a 9G Civic Tourer as a replacement. As I commute to work by train, the car sits unused Monday-Friday quite often, but I do some long-ish trips at the weekend.

Looking at a 9G in the showroom today I was quite impressed, but the drivers seat didn't feel as 'snug' as some of the other cars I've looked at - eg Volvo V40 (beautifully built, but poor rear access) and Ford Focus (not impressed with the interior fittings).

I'm 6'4" and 13.5 stone: ie quite gangly, and I suffer from mild back and hip ache, from time to time. Although I thought it might be a problem, the seat adjusted low enough for me, so no issues there.

Does anyone have any comments/observations about seat comfort over the long term? I've got a test drive booked for next weekend, but that may not be long enough to tease out any aches arising from the driving position.

The EX model comes with electric lumbar and side supports. Are these features of much benefit, in the real world? The (manual) lumbar adjustment in my Accord doesn't seem to do very much.

Finally, to my eyes the rear bench looked flatter and shorter than other cars I've looked at. The ageing parents will flop there from time to time, so have others had any complaints about rear seat comfort over long journeys?

Thanks for any input - I'll probably buy new and keep for 10 years, so this is quite a big decision for me.

(Not that it's relevant to the question, but with future taxation structures in mind, I'll be going for the 1.8 petrol.)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
I'm 6'4 and have had the 9G since Oct 2013, best driver's seat I've ever used. Just done Sheffield to Brighton and back, after the journey there were no aches at all. I find the middle arm rest to be perfectly placed for long journeys, I think Honda are world leaders when it comes to practicality. I have been more impressed with the car as time goes on, little things like the boot floor being able to go lower for tall items are really appreciated.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Personally, I think the 9G's seats are back aching on long journeys.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,065 Posts
I have to agree with most car seats these days.

They seem to be shortening the squab length and for me I tend to get a cramp ache in my right rear upper leg after a couple of hours of continuous driving. I just take it as a message that it's time to take a break. On motorways I put cruise on if I can and wiggle my leg about which usually works.

What I found in the IS200 was to raise the front of the squab only to put more pressure on the lower top leg area but you can't do that in the Civic

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
When it comes to seats you can't beat Volvo... I would NEVER buy one, but the seats in Volvos are great. That said, when you say you want to put People in the back seat, would you be able to fit grownups in a V40? I looked at one before buying my New Civic, and felt claustrophobic, just like I did in the New MB A-class. There is just no room in the cabin. No headroom in the backseat, no leg-room, the rear doors hardly open and the boot is a joke.
I really like the seats in my Civic. Maybe not as comfy as the Volvo seats, but considering the car that comes With the seats I have never regretted my Choice :cool:

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
There are minor changes coming in the face lifted versions this year.. i believe lumbar support is one of the things being added to the 5 door and Tourer seats so you might want to have a look at them..

New Honda Civic Tourer | Honda UK

Our newest estate car is more comfortable to drive, too. With the added luxury of Lumbar Adjust on the driver's seat, you can alter your seating position to support your back.

·
Whistlin' on a Tuesday...
1,168 Posts
Thanks for any input - I'll probably buy new and keep for 10 years, so this is quite a big decision for me.

(Not that it's relevant to the question, but with future taxation structures in mind, I'll be going for the 1.8 petrol.)

Cheers
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you shed any light on future taxation structures re: engine size/emissions?

This info might help other people thinking about changing their car.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you shed any light on future taxation structures re: engine size/emissions?

This info might help other people thinking about changing their car.

Cheers
perhaps referring to extra emission charges being placed on diesel cars around large cities and maybe beyond?

·
Registered
493 Posts
When it comes to seats you can't beat Volvo... I would NEVER buy one, but the seats in Volvos are great.
I also hear that Lexus seats are great, but I've never sat in one. However I have sat in a Volvo and oh my... That was such a great seat! The Swedish should sell the Volvo chair in IKEA... I will buy it for my house! HAHA

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,065 Posts
It's not the Lexus seats as such but being 8 way electric you can sort of rock the bit you sit on.

I had mine set with the front bit quite high to support my leg and I could drive for hours with no problem.

Seat squabs being fixed almost horizontally with just equal vertical movement front and rear don't work for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm 6' 3" and not even remotely gangly, and I have to say I find the 9g seat very comfortable indeed, once I had set it up right.

Compared to the 8g the seat comfort is about the same, although there are some overall comfort differences:

Where the 9g is better:

- It has seat heaters.
- The suspension doesn't crash over every last rock.
- It is quieter inside.

Where the 8g is better:

- The shape of the door gave a comfortable support for the side of my right leg; not as good on the 9g.
- The 8g Climate Control could be left in Automatic mode without it trying to boil my feet all the time.

Cheers

Penguin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the feedback.

The Volvo seats felt great, and the V40 would be my choice if all my mileage was one-up, but with a need to accommodate elderly relatives in the rear quarters it's just too compromised. Not to mention holiday luggage, trips to the recycling centre etc.

Back to the Honda and my petrol choice: I only know what I read in the press, and from that I have a hunch that in the years to come, diesel will start to be more highly taxed, and diesel vehicles (even Euro 6 compliant) will be restricted in city centres: eg Brighton, close to my home, with a Green council.

None of this would matter if I changed cars every three years, but I'd like this one to last ten, like my Accord. I only do about 5,000 miles a year at present, although that might increase with changes to my job that require more travelling.

I think I'll like the free-revving 1.8, although 140bhp doesn't sound like much these days against competition with 160-180bhp. But even ten years ago, 140bhp would have been a decent hot hatch output. Not that we get much opportunity to plant foot to floor in the south-east, anyway!

·
Registered
329 Posts
The EX model comes with electric lumbar and side supports. Are these features of much benefit, in the real world? The (manual) lumbar adjustment in my Accord doesn't seem to do very much.
You might want to confirm this with a Honda dealer, but I think lumbar support is only in the Ex versions with leather. Not accross the range.
Mine does not have it and is fine. I've tried an Executive, I think it's an added bonus, but a bit of a gimmick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might want to confirm this with a Honda dealer, but I think lumbar support is only in the Ex versions with leather. Not accross the range.
Mine does not have it and is fine. I've tried an Executive, I think it's an added bonus, but a bit of a gimmick.
I think in the UK the EX is only available with leather, but yes, the brochure implies it's the only trim level to get lumbar support. However, the details released about the facelift suggest lumbar support will become available more widely in the range: whether standard or optional, I don't know.

·
Registered
329 Posts
No, because even Honda Connect is not across the range or many of the options there.
But I agree, everything from panoramic roof to lumbar support should be an extra, not part of a pack. I might want a panoramic roof but not leather, for example.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks to all for the feedback.

The Volvo seats felt great, and the V40 would be my choice if all my mileage was one-up, but with a need to accommodate elderly relatives in the rear quarters it's just too compromised. Not to mention holiday luggage, trips to the recycling centre etc.

Back to the Honda and my petrol choice: I only know what I read in the press, and from that I have a hunch that in the years to come, diesel will start to be more highly taxed, and diesel vehicles (even Euro 6 compliant) will be restricted in city centres: eg Brighton, close to my home, with a Green council.

None of this would matter if I changed cars every three years, but I'd like this one to last ten, like my Accord. I only do about 5,000 miles a year at present, although that might increase with changes to my job that require more travelling.

I think I'll like the free-revving 1.8, although 140bhp doesn't sound like much these days against competition with 160-180bhp. But even ten years ago, 140bhp would have been a decent hot hatch output. Not that we get much opportunity to plant foot to floor in the south-east, anyway!
The 1.8 is quick enough and yes it happily revs - The power delivery is a little different to some other cars but you quickly get used to it. 142bhp is enough in that car, they're no slouch. The engine is REALLY quiet around town, too.

I chose petrol as my miles aren't that high (probably 12k per year) and I don't really like the lack of reliability that you seem to have to put up with from a modern diesel. Am planning to keep mine for a while, too.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I am only 5' 7" but seems to me the seat is a little short, our Astra Design has part leather seats that have much better length and are more comfortable.

Not that I find the Civic ones particularly uncomfortable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am only 5' 7" but seems to me the seat is a little short, our Astra Design has part leather seats that have much better length and are more comfortable.

Not that I find the Civic ones particularly uncomfortable.
dont all vauxhalls have proper ergonomic seats, or is that only the insignia?

possibly the best thing about them...my mate had one a few years ago and along with the ford focus managed to be massive outside but relatively small inside.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Very happy with the seat in mine and I often do 4 hour driving stints. Also have a bad back but only 5ft 10.

Leather heated seats on mine add to the comfort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the further comments.

I took a test drive in an SR yesterday and felt quite comfortable, although found myself wishing the steering wheel would move a little higher and/or closer, to provide more room for my legs underneath. Particularly when trying to move my left leg from the clutch to the rest alongside it. But I thought the pedal placing was spot-on: unlike certain BMW and Audi RHD manual vehicles.

Otherwise, I was quite positive. Steering a bit light, compared to my Accord, but the ride was far better even on 18 inch alloys, which I wouldn't specify. I also found it very easy to place the extremities of the car in tight spots, thanks to the estate shape and short bonnet.

I thought the 1.8 engine was quite refined compared to my 2.2 CTDi, and whilst clearly no ball of fire it will be adequate for all practical purposes in the crowded south-east of England. These days my driving style is generally one of chilling-out and cruising, anyway.

Slightly embarrassing, but I've never driven a car with a 6-speed box before, and kept fluffing my down shifts from 6th to 4th, and 5th to 4th: ie - I kept hitting 2nd and experiencing the full revviness of the engine....! I imagine this soon comes with practice, though.

I tried the adaptive dampers, but frankly couldn't pick-up any difference between the settings. Probably, alongside certain other electronic gizmos, it would be left on a default setting for as long as the car stayed with me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts