2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Sell me a type R

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  R-2 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

As my previous post I am looking at getting a new car over the next few months. I will be test driving most hot hatches but the one thats stands out the most is the type R. However after reading many reviews all criticise the over bhp. I have never driven a vtec car before so will definatly test drive one. But is it honestly as fast as the turbo cars like golf gti, st etc?

Thanks

#6 ·
I took a GTI for a test drive before making my mind up about the CTR.
If you are looking for hard acceleration from low revs go for the Golf or any other of the turbo charged cars. The CTR is quick but you have to really 'drive' it to get the best out of it - but thats part of the appeal to me. It really is a drivers car not just an unsubtle turbocharged brute!
It is high revving and fun. When you feel and hear the vtec kick in you will understand why it is so addictive - the engine sound is superb.

In comparison the GTI is just not as involving. Although it is fast i didn't feel part of the car - the handling is more "spongy" and it doesn't sound as good.
The CTR feels like its an extension of me and handles brilliantly - you always feel safe and in control.

When you sit in the cockpit of a CTR, turn on the ignition and it all lights up i think you will find it hard to resist. No other car out there at the moment looks as good inside. The Golf interior is VERY boring and dull. As for the exterior, I think the CTR makes everything else look completely old fashioned.

I just love mine - oh and make sure you get a black one;)

#7 ·
As said before depends what you want.

I may be a tad biased look at the pic <<< but an ST/Gti/VXR/MeganeRs will all be a lot faster in the real world. The mid range on any of the turbo cars is mad especially the ST/VXR which both have 320nm from 1600 - over 5000 revs.

As you won't be racing on roads then none of this matters, as when the CTR is on song it will deliver similar performance.

You will find yourself reigning in a turbo hatch on a B road whereas you will be trying to get the best out of CTR which will be a lot more fun.

I loved the ST but it 17-23mpg wasn't worth it, if you want something really silly go with the ST with 285ps kit or a Golf Gti Ed30 with a remap 310ps.

If you want something with impact gives you drivers satisfaction and will trundle about at sensible mpg when you want get a CTR.

#8 ·
CTR is definitely a drivers car
when shes screaming at 8000 revs it dont get any better
and in the "real world" it will keep up with any turbo hatch quite comfortably as long as your in the right gear to start off with. all comes down to driver capability with the numbers we are talking about here. handling is brilliant too and like R2 said you feel part of the car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.