2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi so I am currently looking to sell my 2006 Civic EX fully loaded but less the leather seats. (mods, note im not selling in this thread) I was hoping to get around £6500 for it.

I have had it since I joined the forum so not very long but I have always wanted the Type R and now I have an opportunity to get sell up and buy.

I dont need all the auto wipers, folding mirrors, etc because it is just more to go wrong and they are all very expensive to fix, thank god my clutch hasnt gone yet in my Diesel. ( I have replaced the passenger mirror due to not folding, now drivers mirrors seems slow to fold) Also heard about windscreen wipers acting up in Auto function.)

So would that rule out the GT spec for me? What makes a GT better? What is a high mileage for a type R 60K 80K 100K I can afford one around 40-50K miles on an 07 plate.

What should I look for out for in a second hand Type R, is the clutch a weak point, I guess its all down to the previous owner really.

What are fuel costs like, how much would £30 get me, 100, 200 miles? only going to be doing 250 miles a week, I could live with £50 a week for fuel.

What about servicing costs, much more than a diesel?, I know the tyres will be the same price as I have 18's on my derv.

I have one question regarding the 3 doors, how easy are they to use a baby seat with, my wife and I are recently married and she wants a 5 door, I explained all the cool hot hatches come with 3 doors so she is coming round to my way of thinking just need to convince her a baby wont be incapable of getting in and out a car for long...

I hope that all makes sense, basically want Type R for economical/sporty family car to replace boring 5 door diesel but without all the gadgets that WILL break knowing my luck.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I get about 260 miles to a £60 tank of Optimax. I average about 27mpg but I only travel 7 miles each way to work, I've seen north of 30 on a longer drive.

I think the non-GTs don't even get air conditioning, so i'd really hold out for a GT spec model.

I've not had a service yet, but my dealer showed me the price guide and the CTR servicing wasn't any more expensive than my old Type S 1.8 was... but I'm not sure about the diesel.

The seats slide really far forward, I have no problem getting in and out of the back to vaccuum it so you should be fine with a baby :p

Things to look out for are 3rd gear synchro and rusty doors on the pre 2008 cars.

·
...............Daedalus
3,687 Posts
Petrols are generally cheaper to service than diesels, I would imagine it's the same for the R. Tax will be much more expensive though.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies,

There are a few cars that I like the look of but dont really know much about hence the bias towards the Type R.

Focus ST (5 Doors, big turbo engine must cost more to run than the Type R, but that turbo must be great to drive)

Golf GTI (almost on the verge of being a bit too boring to look at, would like something that stands out a bit but I suppose you cant really go wrong with a golf)

Volvo C30 R Design (havent seen or heard much about these but they look awesome and Volvos are built pretty well, not sure if they come with the same engine thats in the ST, T5 version were in slightly older volvos)

What do you think, also what is the Red Type R like to own and keep clean, waxed etc, which colour is generally less difficult to deal with when it comes to showroom shine

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
why dont u remap it with one of the companies from forum your diesel will be as fast as type r if u want more type r look chznge the grill or go for lowering kit ????????? i can not go back to petrol now i am averaging 60 mpg on motorway from my diesel

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
why dont u remap it with one of the companies from forum your diesel will be as fast as type r if u want more type r look chznge the grill or go for lowering kit ????????? i can not go back to petrol now i am averaging 60 mpg on motorway from my diesel
Lol. I chuckle

Get one

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Just remember that in a type R you need to be in the right gear to get lift off, in a CTDi any gear will do!

Both are great cars, but have completely different characters.

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
Well it's all down to putting the power down on the road, isn't it.

The tuned CTDi's are putting a massive wall of torque down from 2 - 3,000 rpm (most achieving over 300lbs), keeping in this range (changing gears) will show a clean pair of heals to most cars.
You need to get the Type R's singing over 5000rpm before the real fun starts, but when it does it's wonderful (and addictive!)

Me, I love my CRV, being able to motorway cruise and just floor it with 378lbs torque being produced, barring the big Mercs and Bentleys not much can respond to that. AWD in the wet is great too!

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
my type s is the faster lighter non gt version ;) and has climate control just not dual and from an owner of a tuned 2.2 if you can afford the running costs of a type r go for it :D ive spent lots to make a car that is only type r standard and lots would have bought a lot of fuel! i did it because i like to play and it interests me. a stage 1 tuned 2.2 with no other mods will get nowhere near a type r lots of people wont believe mine will..... some type r owners know ;)

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Id take a type R over my diesel if i never drove so far! The noise alone will make it worth it. Currently looking at getting a 2nd car for fun and track... maybe consider that? Love dc2's ek9's glanzas, 106gti's, renault gt 5's.. oh the possibilities :D

·
Stage 3 Hybrid
1,932 Posts
charged dc2 or ep3 are on my "things to do when our lass isnt looking" list :)

Don't you think she will notice? [smilie=the_judge.g:

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
depends how many bags ive bought her :D

Use her line "No its not a new top, iv had it for months..."

Well hunny, this cars been in my garage before you met me.. :lol:

Reactions: coste1l
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.