2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon to all

my first post in the english section so I will carefully analyze my issue below and hope for a solution from anyone.

I own an FN1 MY2008

1. at 62000km, I found a used set of brake calipers from an EP3 and bought them along with a brand new set of zimmermann discs and textar pads. After thorough checks about the condition of the calipers, I install them in my local brake tech guy which is very respectable and specializes in brake-suspension. I used to change everything that has to do with these things in all the cars I owned at this shop and had no issue thus far. After 4.000km, I notice that I had vibrations under braking with speeds from 60-70km/h and found out that the rotors had warped

2. at 66000km, we replace them with brand new brembo discs and ferodo pads. After 4000km, brakes warp again with vibrations at same speed. Nothing above 70km/h or below 60km/h

3. at 70000km, we replace them with the same combination under warranty and guess what... after 4000km warped rotos again!

4. at this point at 74000km, I 'm fed up and I decide to return to stock brakes

5. at 79.000km, stock brake rotos and pads warp. Car shakes under braking a lot more than before and at almost every speed.

the brake guy has checked every thing that believes that is needed to be checked, that is hub issues, alignment issues, pad issues. suspension issues...nothing seems out of the ordinary...

is there any other one that has experienced this freak matter?

I had never had any issues with brakes in all the cars I owned, never warped them or anything, I was very careful in all the brake-in periods, typical driver with normal driving conditions...

any advice/guidance will be very much appreciated

·
i-Vtec
2,550 Posts
From my understanding most cases of warped discs are in fact not warped disc but just a buildup of pad material on the disc face which in turn causes the pulsing through the pedal, chassis shake you feel. Its one of the main reasons that bedding in pads is so crucial. I read just lately that the reason for bedding in pads is to allow a slow and gradual transfer of pad material to the actual disc, which then aids and helps with braking. Im surprised you had issues with the Brembo Discs and Ferodo Pads set up as they are wholly reputable braking companies.
I can only assume that prior to 62000 km you had no issues?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Presumably you have had the disks measured to make absolutely certain that they are warped?
yes, the technician said that it was enough to produce vibration and replacement. cant remember the figures though

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you've had the runout measured is it affecting one disc or all disc's?
both front discs are affected in every case. driver's side disc a little more so than the passenger's

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is it possible the calipers/slides/pads are sticking?
the used calipers from the EP3 were checked and were ok. You could argue that there may be a hidden issue with these calipers, but all was dismissed when the same thing happened when I returned to the stock spec

·
i-Vtec
2,550 Posts
Ok so what about collapsed flexi hoses, the fluid cant return so shows the same symptoms as a seized caliper. Ive had that on my last car. Only way to tell will be warm/hot rotors after a gentle run, or try turning the disc after someone depresses the brake and the brakes drag.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so what about collapsed flexi hoses, the fluid cant return so shows the same symptoms as a seized caliper. Ive had that on my last car. Only way to tell will be warm/hot rotors after a gentle run, or try turning the disc after someone depresses the brake and the brakes drag.
Ι had done this test after another forum member suggested it. I touched the rotor after half an hour of drive and the temp was ok

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
the way to test the collapsed hose better is take it for decent run then jack car up straight away after run see if the wheel turns freely
I had argument over the collapsed hose thing with a guy I know who paid a garage a fortune trying to solve issue
the garage said that only happens on fords
******** ford don't use a different supplier to everyone else
after 2nd hand calliper than brand new 1 his garage gave in replaced flexi hose and surprise all good

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the way to test the collapsed hose better is take it for decent run then jack car up straight away after run see if the wheel turns freely
I had argument over the collapsed hose thing with a guy I know who paid a garage a fortune trying to solve issue
the garage said that only happens on fords
**** ford don't use a different supplier to everyone else
after 2nd hand calliper than brand new 1 his garage gave in replaced flexi hose and surprise all good
Will try again this as I m desperate to fix it

Just to be clear, we are talking about the brake hoses, right?

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
yes
if the inner tube collapses its like the brakes are sticking on for a while until the fluid forces its self past
if I was testing this id go for good run have the jack ready to lift up as soon as possible after wards
try to judge so you brake up hardish as you stop last time not dangerously hard just a good bit of pressure and if possibly long hold on the brakes
it is strange to constantly warp discs
to be honest its not that common to warp discs on normal road use

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
The one thing that nobody has mentioned is the fitting of the new discs.
Are you SURE that the hubs were cleaned thoroughly so that when the discs are fitted they sit absolutely flush with the hub surface.
It won't take much dirt/corrosion on the surface to knock the disc just a little out of line and make it feel like a warped one. Bit strange if this has affected multiple replacements but ...............................

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The one thing that nobody has mentioned is the fitting of the new discs.
Are you SURE that the hubs were cleaned thoroughly so that when the discs are fitted they sit absolutely flush with the hub surface.
It won't take much dirt/corrosion on the surface to knock the disc just a little out of line and make it feel like a warped one. Bit strange if this has affected multiple replacements but ...............................
Yes hubs were cleaned before, I was there in the process

1 - 20 of 44 Posts