2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have a 2008 2.2 type S and cannot seem to get above 40 mpg

The car was serviced when bought about 4 months ago (only done 3k since this) and has only done 22k in total

I drive the car pretty well and dont rag it about but even resetting the on mpg on the motorway and staying at 70 it still only goes to 43mpg tops and this is if im lucky.

I Love the car but shorley this cannot be right for a diesel??? everyone else is on here is getting 45mpg round town :S

Anyone got any Ideas??

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Doesn't sound correct to me - some of the diesel gurus will be around shortly to help :)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Hi all

I have a 2008 2.2 type S and cannot seem to get above 40 mpg

The car was serviced when bought about 4 months ago (only done 3k since this) and has only done 22k in total

I drive the car pretty well and dont rag it about but even resetting the on mpg on the motorway and staying at 70 it still only goes to 43mpg tops and this is if im lucky.

I Love the car but shorley this cannot be right for a diesel??? everyone else is on here is getting 45mpg round town :S

Anyone got any Ideas??
That's about the same as my 1.8 petrol - 42/43 on the motorway and around 32.8 around town.

The diesel should give you a lot more.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
yes you should get more. Are you checking your mpg from a full atnk to a full tank and working it out for your self? This should be the 1st check you do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your responses guys

Iv worked it out manually as well as the on board computer and both figures are about the same...

im only getting about 350 - 400 miles per full tank

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Thanks for your responses guys

Iv worked it out manually as well as the on board computer and both figures are about the same...

im only getting about 350 - 400 miles per full tank

Thats roughly what i get to a full tank of v-power

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts

·
aka Paul
4,524 Posts
Check the easy stuff like tyre pressures, wheel alignment, seized brake(s), air filter. Does the car free-wheel well?

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Thats roughly what I get, on the motorways I average around 40-50 mpg and local it's approx 30-40 some times even less depending on driving style.

Before I bought the car thought I'd get much more but looks like not.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
On motorways I get 58-62 mpg - usually with cruise control set to 70

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
That's about the same as my 1.8 petrol - 42/43 on the motorway and around 32.8 around town.

The diesel should give you a lot more.
Yes I can get that with my 1.8 on a run without much trouble.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Silly question but are you reading the right trip computer?

I didnt even know about the other one until some time after I bought the car :S

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
Read thro this it may help !

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines-transmission/77609-tips-maximising-mpg-2-2-diesel.html[/url BG244 trial results

·
Super Moderator
7,124 Posts
Is the car an automatic?
Cause if the thermostat was stuck open the engine would be running cooler than it should and this will cause more fuel to be used.
As others have said check air filter, brakes, check oil as well, O2 sensors(if diesels have them)

Also run BG44K or what ever the diesel one is called to clean the engine.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts