2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
( Note: this has been posted in other forums so apologies if you have read elsewhere. )

Hi, I took my 10th generation Civic in for it's second service today. I waited while the work was done.
When I was told that the service had been completed they presented me with a bill for £398. I then explained that I had a four year service plan and they said could I hold on as they had to redo the invoice as it had to be sent to Honda. A little later the lady came back with a new invoice, but this time it was for £310 pounds. Unfortunately she had taken the original away so I was unable to compare them and when I question the difference I was told it's just the way Honda do it.
Given they only had the car for two hours £310 seems expensive, let alone £400.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
21,947 Posts
Makes you wonder !

·
Registered
53 Posts
When you say you have a 4 year service plan what do you mean - I have the 5 year plan which either cost £599 or came free depending on the deals going at the time - sadly I was charged the £599

I have had 4 of the 5 services by now and have only been charged for 2 front tyres and they price matched them with my local independant

·
Registered
100 Posts
( Note: this has been posted in other forums so apologies if you have read elsewhere. )

Hi, I took my 10th generation Civic in for it's second service today. I waited while the work was done.
When I was told that the service had been completed they presented me with a bill for £398. I then explained that I had a four year service plan and they said could I hold on as they had to redo the invoice as it had to be sent to Honda. A little later the lady came back with a new invoice, but this time it was for £310 pounds. Unfortunately she had taken the original away so I was unable to compare them and when I question the difference I was told it's just the way Honda do it.
Given they only had the car for two hours £310 seems expensive, let alone £400.
Any thoughts?
Dave.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Odd, I have had a 9th Gen since 2017 and have kept paying to roll over the Service plan (car is on a 14 plate so maybe 8th gen?) but other than my monthly service plan cost I’ve never paid a thing?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say you have a 4 year service plan what do you mean - I have the 5 year plan which either cost £599 or came free depending on the deals going at the time - sadly I was charged the £599

I have had 4 of the 5 services by now and have only been charged for 2 front tyres and they price matched them with my local independant
The 4 year service plan means I paid up front for 4 services. I wasn't offered a five year plan and the four years cost me £700 so it sounds like you got a good deal. Mind you if it's going to cost 3 or 4 hundred a service I'm still quids in. Beats me how they can charge that amount though, as I say, they had the car for under two hours and even if you deduct the cost of oil and filters that's still one hell of an hourly rate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The 4 year service plan means I paid up front for 4 services. I wasn't offered a five year plan and the four years cost me £700 so it sounds like you got a good deal. Mind you if it's going to cost 3 or 4 hundred a service I'm still quids in. Beats me how they can charge that amount though, as I say, they had the car for under two hours and even if you deduct the cost of oil and filters that's still one hell of an hourly rate.
If you paid up front for 4 services why have you been presented with a bill?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you paid up front for 4 services why have you been presented with a bill?
The first one, £400, was before they realised I had a contract, the second one, £310, was a revised one, presumable to send to Honda. I didn’t have to pay anything.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had 4 out of the 5 year plan which came free with the car as an ex demo 2017 model and never paid a penny and have had 2 free M.O.Ts as well. I think you've been conned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure I've been conned as such. The car wasn't new when I bought it and I only bought the service package after the first service and this was at a different garage than I bought the car from. I paid for the first service which was £265 and as the service package works out at £175 per service I can live with that. Also I think the price varies depending on the model ie the ones with cvt gearbox is more expensive.
On a side note, on the first service report it says my front brake pads were 40% worn and the back were 30% worn. On the report I've just had both sets were 20% worn, so if that carries on, at next service my pads will be brand new 😃😃😃
D.

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
The pads are only a technical guesstimate.
The only way is to take the caliper off and look at them properly.

At the last service on my FN2 the Honda service said 45% worn.
That was true for 6 of the 8 pads the other 2 were down almost to the metal after a stuck front caliper and misaligned pad/piston on the rear!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The first one, £400, was before they realised I had a contract, the second one, £310, was a revised one, presumable to send to Honda. I didn’t have to pay anything.
OK - I see now - you are trying to figure out the internal financial transactions of a car dealership - good luck with that

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,478 Posts
What size engine do you have? for the 1.0L 75K service the cam belt needs changed and I've seen on here someone quoted the eye watering £1800 from Honda... Oucha!

·
Registered
53 Posts
What size engine do you have? for the 1.0L 75K service the cam belt needs changed and I've seen on here someone quoted the eye watering £1800 from Honda... Oucha!
I spoke to the service manager at the dealership about this a couple of weeks ago - he said they hadn't done one as yet but he didn't see the cost being anywhere near this for obvious reasons - that reason being the amount of Civics 1.0's that will be sitting sround on forecourts unsold

He admitted is wouldn't be a good look for Honda

·
Super Moderator
3,992 Posts
I spoke to the service manager at the dealership about this a couple of weeks ago - he said they hadn't done one as yet but he didn't see the cost being anywhere near this for obvious reasons - that reason being the amount of Civics 1.0's that will be sitting sround on forecourts unsold

He admitted is wouldn't be a good look for Honda
Just had a quick look on the Honda Approved Used site and most of the Civics are 1.0L.
Had to through 5 pages of them to find a 1.5L

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,478 Posts
The high cost of the Cambelt change may be the reason there's so many? Someone on here claimed they were quoted £1800 from a Honda Approved Dealer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts