2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys

When I bought my 2015 DTEC a couple of weeks ago, the salesman just gave me a printout of service dates and mileage.

He told me the newer Honda's no longer have Service Books and as soon as I get the log book back from DVLA, I can walk into any main dealer and they will be able to get the service history details for me.

I am a bit concerned as I've just phoned my local dealer and the lady I spoke with told me this absolutely not true.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

shaft

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks K. So was he telling porkies? Does it vary from dealer to dealer whether a service book is used on the newer cars? A quick Google told me that it is a fairly common practice, just that alarm bells started ringing when I spoke to my local main dealer.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if service books were phased out.

Maybe new owners can confirm/deny.

If a used car, and I was told there was no service book I'd be suspicious. I've always been asked for the service book before any dealer will calculate the p/x deal. It's like the golden chalice.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if service books were phased out.

Maybe new owners can confirm/deny.

If a used car, and I was told there was no service book I'd be suspicious. I've always been asked for the service book before any dealer will calculate the p/x deal. It's like the golden chalice.
No not phased out, yet.

·
Registered
673 Posts
If you got the service plan they keep an electronic record with details of parts and costs used etc bit still stamp your service book

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm. It certainly doesn't sound great.

They gave me a sheet with dates and mileage on that was it.

I wasn't that bothered at the time as I knew it was just over three years old and a lease car, so I thought it had to have been serviced regularly as a part of the lease agreement.

I have the lease company's details so maybe I'll try them. If I get no joy when the log book comes back from the main dealers I will definitely be having words with the sellers.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't know if location makes a difference. But both our 9G and 10G do not have service books here in Germany. Electronic print out is handed to us when they go in for service. Both received new within the last 15 months.

Other than a dealer stamp for the hand over and PDI, there is no space for mileage stamps in the printed material received.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Bought mine one 66reg last year from local honda dealer and it had manual and service book all in nice leather honda case. Had service done last month and had book stamped and print out of what was done, parts used. So i would question your dealer.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks chaps.

I'm beginning to think I've been had here. The car was advertised as having full main dealer history but of course I have no proof of that now as the ad on Autotrader is long gone.

If I get no joy from Honda regarding online history, which judging by responses on here, would seem remote, I don't know what I can do.

All I have is a printout on the dealer's letter headed paper of dates and mileage of the alleged services carried out.

I got the new log book through today and that doesn't even have the last owners details on it, so I can't even contact him/her.

I only hope that failing anything that Honda have on record, the Leasing Company can provide me with some information, or I guess confront the dealers as to where they got the printed history from.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bit sketchy to buy a car without seeing the service history but I haven't bought a car that's that new. I would just keep pestering the dealer/person you bought it from to see evidence of the full service history.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree Michael. I just didn't think anything of it at the time as I thought it had to have been serviced, otherwise it would have invalidated Honda's warranty terms, being that new.

Also, I had heard of online service history so I believed the salesman, naive I guess! Just a question of hopefully trying to track down the history.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I doubt the dealer would lie... assuming it's a Honda Dealer, then it's likely the book is lost. Honda on computer do have accurate records of ALL servicing carried out.

I'd say that's as much proof as a book with a stamp, which can easily be faked.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Hi Guys.

Success! I had an email today from the Honda garage that I thought the car was from, telling me they had no details but to try Honda UK (well done tricky!!)

I provided the VIN and they told me all of the details and the name of the Honda dealer that serviced my car. I have just contacted them and for £15 they will provide a new service book with stamps and dates of all of the services carried out, which is full.

cavalrystu, it wasn't a main dealer that I bought from, which was why I was a little dubious.

As usual, thanks for all the help and advice chaps!

shaft

PS Haltamer, regarding the oil, it looks cleanish but a little over the maximum level. Do you think this could indicate a failed regen? Or maybe a sloppy service? I'm leaning toward the regen.

·
Super Moderator
20,985 Posts
On a service related theme, the info I've received:

You can legally request the C.V.I.C from the dealer you bought the car. That will show you everything about the car from birthday to delivery including inspection, repairs, LET data and the day it left the factory.

Even for your older Civic, records have to be kept for 25 years AFAIK.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,307 Posts
Hi Guys.

Success! I had an email today from the Honda garage that I thought the car was from, telling me they had no details but to try Honda UK (well done tricky!!)

I provided the VIN and they told me all of the details and the name of the Honda dealer that serviced my car. I have just contacted them and for £15 they will provide a new service book with stamps and dates of all of the services carried out, which is full.

cavalrystu, it wasn't a main dealer that I bought from, which was why I was a little dubious.

shaft

PS Haltamer, regarding the oil, it looks cleanish but a little over the maximum level. Do you think this could indicate a failed regen? Or maybe a sloppy service? I'm leaning toward the regen.

I'd get it serviced right away. Ideally the level should be in between the Max and Min on the dipstick. If over, too much oil in there. If it was over diluted with fuel you'd get a warning light on. I have the 2015 Facelift and that came with a service book but as far as Honda service intervals go, I'd devise a more comprehensive one for yourself. Example, Honda UK say 37K between Air Filters? No way would I leave it that long.

If you have the 1.6, unless you're doing loads of short stop start journeys, I wouldn't worry the DPF. You'll also know if it's doing a regen if fully warmed up as the Stop Start will not operate and the miles to fuel pump indicator will plummet suddenly then go back up. Also, if you do switch it off if in the middle of a regen, when you go outside the car it will sound as though fans are still blowing within the Engine Bay.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Guys.

shaft

Good news! Did you manage to find an email address for them, or did you have to fill in the form on their website? I'm trying to find an email for them... PM me if you like!

Thanks
Chris

1 - 20 of 25 Posts