2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just bought a new(to me) 2013 1.6 I-DTEC and thought i'd join up!! I am extremely happy with it so far and looking forward to getting involved. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

So getting into it- the car did not come with a service book. I assume it was either lost or never came with one. There are receipts for services though so all good there. The car is at 21k miles. The previous owner seems to have followed the 12.5k miles per year or 12 months schedule although never reaching the 12.5k mark. But actually in fairness I'm not entirely sure what his/her mileage limit would have been(one at 7k in june 2014, 12.5k in june '15, and 19.5k in june '16). Before buying the car, my research online gave me the impression that 12.5k miles was the recommended interval. The forum wont let me post a link yet but i found a maintenance schedule on the wiki that indicated that interval. Anyways, I decided to have a look in the manual and it says oil and filter should be changed every 6,250 miles or 12 months! weird. Above the chart in the manual it says its for diesel except European. I am in Ireland and the car is a UK import. The manual says it was printed in the UK in 2012. Is there a chance i have the wrong manual? Also the manual says that if the car did not come with a service book then you should use what is in the manual. Could the intervals in the missing service book be different from the manual? And finally, the dealer i bought it from did a service when he got it about 500 miles ago. And the sticker he put in the windscreen says to change it at 30k miles. So he seems to think it needs it every 9k miles. I'm all sorts of confused! haha.

Thanks again everyone!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea very strange. No service book at all. It seems to have been lost. It would have been a uk book originally though. But again- the manual (unless it is not the original manual) should be a UK manual. But anyways I think I have decided to ring the main Honda dealer down the road and see what they have to say. They may even be able to get me a new service book. That would be handy. The dealer i got it from wouldn't go there. Laziness i suppose.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello,

Just bought a new(to me) 2013 1.6 I-DTEC and thought i'd join up!! I am extremely happy with it so far and looking forward to getting involved. Thanks ahead of time for any help!

So getting into it- the car did not come with a service book. I assume it was either lost or never came with one. There are receipts for services though so all good there. The car is at 21k miles. The previous owner seems to have followed the 12.5k miles per year or 12 months schedule although never reaching the 12.5k mark. But actually in fairness I'm not entirely sure what his/her mileage limit would have been(one at 7k in june 2014, 12.5k in june '15, and 19.5k in june '16). Before buying the car, my research online gave me the impression that 12.5k miles was the recommended interval. The forum wont let me post a link yet but i found a maintenance schedule on the wiki that indicated that interval. Anyways, I decided to have a look in the manual and it says oil and filter should be changed every 6,250 miles or 12 months! weird. Above the chart in the manual it says its for diesel except European. I am in Ireland and the car is a UK import. The manual says it was printed in the UK in 2012. Is there a chance i have the wrong manual? Also the manual says that if the car did not come with a service book then you should use what is in the manual. Could the intervals in the missing service book be different from the manual? And finally, the dealer i bought it from did a service when he got it about 500 miles ago. And the sticker he put in the windscreen says to change it at 30k miles. So he seems to think it needs it every 9k miles. I'm all sorts of confused! haha.

Thanks again everyone!!!
Welcome Kyle. First of all ,the one thing I look out for with UK imports( I've had 4 in last decade) is history.I'd be suspicious If it's absent.Secondly don't trust dealer that proper OW 30 oil was used.One Honda dealer in SE Ireland claims 5W30 is adequate for 1.6 Civic( it wrecks DPS and stretches timing chains).Get TopParts own brand 0W30_5.5 spec and also their Purflux oilfilter-better seal to flange than Honda OEM filter. Thirdly- Honda IRL dealers aren't as good as UK dealers so If I have warranty work to do I use Donnelly's in Dungannon(I travel up north regularly)1.6 is a cracking drive and Hondas aren't called the " Jap Beemer" without reason.
PS.My independent mechanic likes oil hanged on Honda Diesels at 10K not 12.5 as recommended by Honda!!

·
regrets his username
7,983 Posts
You can also buy service books from a dealer for around 12-£15, if you have all service history then those dealers will happily re-stamp your new book

·
Administrator
MY22 Jazz EX Hybrid
22,064 Posts
the car did not come with a service book.
I would be asking why. The service book is a major piece of information, if nothing else to verify the corrosion warranty checks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Welcome Kyle. First of all ,the one thing I look out for with UK imports( I've had 4 in last decade) is history.I'd be suspicious If it's absent.Secondly don't trust dealer that proper OW 30 oil was used.One Honda dealer in SE Ireland claims 5W30 is adequate for 1.6 Civic( it wrecks DPS and stretches timing chains).Get TopParts own brand 0W30_5.5 spec and also their Purflux oilfilter-better seal to flange than Honda OEM filter. Thirdly- Honda IRL dealers aren't as good as UK dealers so If I have warranty work to do I use Donnelly's in Dungannon(I travel up north regularly)1.6 is a cracking drive and Hondas aren't called the " Jap Beemer" without reason.
PS.My independent mechanic likes oil hanged on Honda Diesels at 10K not 12.5 as recommended by Honda!!
Thanks Catciv. I'll definitely keep all that in mind. But as I said, although the service book isn't here, those services are here in receipt form. So I am not too concerned on the service history front. I will try to get a dealer to sell me a service book and then stamp it for me as dweezle mentioned earlier. Also, I would definitely consider bringing the car to the north for any significant work. And I am up for the slightly more frequent oil changes. The question now is whether or not the dealer I bought it from used the correct oil in the service he did before he sold it to me! I doubt it I think- but I will look into it. And if I don't believe him then I may get it serviced by someone I trust with those parts that you recommended. Thanks again!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks Catciv. I'll definitely keep all that in mind. But as I said, although the service book isn't here, those services are here in receipt form. So I am not too concerned on the service history front. I will try to get a dealer to sell me a service book and then stamp it for me as dweezle mentioned earlier. Also, I would definitely consider bringing the car to the north for any significant work. And I am up for the slightly more frequent oil changes. The question now is whether or not the dealer I bought it from used the correct oil in the service he did before he sold it to me! I doubt it I think- but I will look into it. And if I don't believe him then I may get it serviced by someone I trust with those parts that you recommended. Thanks again!

If the receipts are there then I would be ok with that. I had the missing service book and manual in mine. The last person that had it was a priest so god only knows where he left them!!

I drop the oil every 15,000 KM/9,000 Miles against the reported 12,500 miles. You should be able to pick up an filter and the honda oil from Honda for around 80-90 euro, so an oil and filter change is not expensive and very straight forward to do yourself.

Mine has gone well with the last 1.5 years with the exception of DPF issue two times. I am in analysis mode at the moment on this but it is regenerating everything two weeks at about 1,000 KM interval.

If the car drives well and has no signs of been crashed with any other check you do, then go for it. They are a great car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts