2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new user here, hoping you can offer some advice on servicing!

I have a 64 plate i-Dtec 1.6, which was purchased from a Honda dealer in Feb 2016. It was up to date on its servicing, having had its 12 and 24 months full services each September.

Since owning it, I had what my local garage calls an 'intermediate service' done in Sept 2016 and 2017. I'm not sure exactly what that covered, probably not much more than the basic oil and filter change. In 2018 the car needed its first MOT, along with tyres and brakes, so I did that but for whatever reason didn't get a service done.

So here we are in 2019, approaching the next MOT, at 32,000 miles and 5 years old. Clearly I need to get a better service done this year. I'm wondering what would you recommend I do? When you read the list of items on the official service guide, it seems way too long, and I wonder how many of those things are essential? Also, how many of the things on the list could I do myself, and is there much to be gained in saving money that way? I'm vaguely technical - used to do a lot of work on cars in the old days - but these days I do very little and don't have the modern tools.

It's not just about saving money - there's a certain level of interest in trying things myself . However I won't be lying out in the road doing mucky oil changes! Things like changing filters or electrical leads may well be possible though, depending on the tools required.

Any thoughts appreciated. Is there much to be gained in attempting things myself? Or should I just shut my eyes and hand over my credit card. What items would you say are pretty much essential at this point in time?

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I don't know if you have a Honda dealer near you, but if you look here https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/3-years-plus.html
you can see what Honda recommend. Also, most dealers offer a years Honda Recovery thrown in with the service-only if you ask for it, so that saves you a bit.
I'm not familiar with a diesel, but I think engine oil should definitely changed yearly as it deteriorates with age as well as mileage, so at least get an oil and filter change.
I have recently bought a Pela oil extractor which sucks out the engine oil through the dipstick hole, so I can change my oil between official services ,( I have a 5 year service plan ), it's a lot easier than crawling under the car, and it means I know what oil is in there ! I think the diesel oil filter is accessible from the top , so you could probably do that yourself.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Diesel oil filter (if it's a 1.6) is underneath and difficult and messy to change unless you can get good access

If the OP doesnt want to get involved in crawling under the car a good alternative is to buy a genuine filter from Honda and then get someone like National Tyres and Autocare to change the oil for you, just make sure it's the correct oil (Mobil-1 ESP is I think what's recommended). Air filter is easy. Not much else needed on the engine other than visual check of hoses, belts etc.

Servicing isnt just the engine though, always important to keep an eye on brake wear, tyres, etc etc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips so far.

Would brake fluid not be recommended?

And what about electric components - in the old days, we had to always change plugs, HT leads etc - is that not a requirement any more?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Brake fluid ever 3 years, so if your 3rd year service was done by a local garage as an "intermediate" service, that may have been missed.

No plugs or ignition lead on a diesel.

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
Brake fluid is a 3 year service item, but ask fir it to be done if there is no record of it being done.

in the old days, we had to always change plugs, HT leads etc - is that not a requirement any more?
You have a diesel, it has neither of these.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brake fluid ever 3 years, so if your 3rd year service was done by a local garage as an "intermediate" service, that may have been missed.

No plugs or ignition lead on a diesel.

Ha, that shows how much I know about it! You learn something new every day :serious:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I have recently bought a Pela oil extractor which sucks out the engine oil through the dipstick hole, so I can change my oil between official services ,( I have a 5 year service plan ), it's a lot easier than crawling under the car, and it means I know what oil is in there ! I think the diesel oil filter is accessible from the top , so you could probably do that yourself.
Is this possible on a Honda engine? I use to do this on my old Skoda diesel as there was quite a few videos showing how to do it. I've not seen any on a Honda civic engine, although mine is a 1.8 petrol. Definitely was easier than crawling around on the floor!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Is this possible on a Honda engine? I use to do this on my old Skoda diesel as there was quite a few videos showing how to do it. I've not seen any on a Honda civic engine, although mine is a 1.8 petrol. Definitely was easier than crawling around on the floor!

I have one of these and the dipstick tube is too narrow for the tubes to go down. It's really easy to change it yourself from underneath the car as long as you can jack it up.. Remove the inspection cover, drain oil via sump plug then use one of these to get the filter off, it's not hard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-LEG-2-WAY-OIL-FUEL-FILTER-WRENCH-63-102MM-DUAL-DRIVE-REMOVAL-TOOL-REMOVER-/123691089208?hash=item1ccc903d38

or one of these.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/laser-oil-filter-cup-wrench-76mm?_br_psugg_q=oil+filter

I use the latter.

Cheers.
Neil.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I heard that might be the case. I did hear that somebody had changed the tube that goes into the dipstick to a narrower bore clear tube from a fish aquarium.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have one of these and the dipstick tube is too narrow for the tubes to go down. It's really easy to change it yourself from underneath the car as long as you can jack it up.. Remove the inspection cover, drain oil via sump plug then use one of these to get the filter off, it's not hard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-3-LEG-2-WAY-OIL-FUEL-FILTER-WRENCH-63-102MM-DUAL-DRIVE-REMOVAL-TOOL-REMOVER-/123691089208?hash=item1ccc903d38

or one of these.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/laser-oil-filter-cup-wrench-76mm?_br_psugg_q=oil+filter

I use the latter.

Cheers.
Neil.
I have both of these and would definitely recommend the second one, the three legged type didn't work that well for me.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I have both of these and would definitely recommend the second one, the three legged type didn't work that well for me.
The three legged one is fine provided that the person who installed the last one wasn't a Gorilla as it'll collapse the filter, almost did to mine first time I used it as The Honda Tech who put it on must have been heavy handed. I have the second one as that's what I used for my 8G 2.2...

·
Premium Member
337 Posts

YES ! The PELA tube fits easily down the dipstick hole and sucked out 3.6 litres of oil on my 1.8 Petrol Civic.
It also worked on my petrol lawnmower which has to be drained through the fill tube.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts