2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Nice Guy!
2,360 Posts
Didn't I read something somewhere that dealers were
throwing in the £500 servicing deal on the diesel models as well??:)

of course that won't apply if you already have your civic:(

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
My dealer wouldnt throw in the service deal for my diesel ive just ordered. But maybe some dealers are as im sure ive read on here a few people who have managed to get it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st Years service free but I was not aware of any servicing packages at the time of purchase, either diesel or petrol.

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
yes its called honda happiness and covers the petrol version servicing for 5 yrs at a quite reduced price. Save something like £350 by paying for 5yrs upfront.

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
1st Years service free but I was not aware of any servicing packages at the time of purchase, either diesel or petrol.
Sounds like you got a good deal there :eek::D

My first service this week cost £170 inc VAT, I did notice that the next one on the board is somewhere over the £300 mark. The prices were on a notice board and just had milage intervals so I'm guessing it was for all cars.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will give the service department a call. I asked the salesman about servicing cost for the 2.2 and he said first year was arround £100 and the second about £240 and then it went back down the 3rd year.

I suppose it payes to check with the right people, it may differ from area to area ?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I asked about Happiness at £500 for the diesel, no-way said the dealer.
Here are the current dealer service prices for the diesel:
Year 1: £154
Year 2: £314
Year 3: £180
Year 4: £314
Year 5: £233
Total £1195.
Happiness is available at £950, which is a decent saving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I was lucky to get the 1st Years service free as part of my deal :D [smilie=superkewl.g:

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
I guess I was lucky to get the 1st Years service free as part of my deal :D [smilie=superkewl.g:[/quote]

It's never free - it's just covered in the cost of your purchase, but when you've finished getting cash off the next best thing is to get the essentials included (better than mud flaps!)

I negotiated a 'free' service into my deal as well. :D[smilie=superkewl.g:

What intrigues me is the difference in service costs - I did see on the Honda site at one point that they claimed the first service for the 2.2 was approx £100 (ho ho ho). When I asked Honda UK they stated its down to the dealers - so shopping around is essential but don't forget that quality counts. Most want around £170.

Just recd mine back and I have never had a car vallet done so well (also recd 1 litre of oil - retail ~ £15) :D:D (btw: Avonvale Northampton )

·
Registered
94 Posts
To be fair, those prices are not that bad. My last Civic was and ej6 coupe, nothing special about it, but a major service on that cost over £400, once they had scraped me up off the floor I gave them the money, but I never went back to Honda for a service after that, mind you it was a six year old car so i dont really know why i went there in the first place, guess it was to keep it looked after properly.

Ps that did not include cam belt change as a had that done shortly after i bought the car.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
With the seemingly high cost of servicing where is the economy of the deisel?

Five years total servicing for oil burner is is over a grand and my up-front Happiness thingy for me petrol 1.8 only set me back £500.

On full tanks I'm getting over 40 mpg as well!

Even the initial buying costs were around a grand cheaper for the petrol.

Long live gasoline!

"To you it's a six pack, to me it's a support group!"

Charles H.

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
my 1st service £91.80 inc vat

daiashthomas,
Spill the beans - which dealer and did you get good service? For an £80 saving I'll travel to Swansea for a day out and visit the relatives!

If this dealer is in Wales it wouldn't surprise me as the cost of living is signifficantly cheaper and there are some nice roads. Nothing like heads of the valleys on a dark and stormy night! :)

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I've had a look in the manual for oil capacities, and the diesel has a much greater oil capacity at 5.9litres than the 1.8 petrol at 3.7litres (oil required when oil and filter are changed).
Using Halfords prices for Castrol Edge at £43 for 4 litres, I reckon the petrol needs £40 of oil, the diesel £64 worth.

(Another thread on which oil is here:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1490)

I still can't see why the diesel is so much more expensive to service than the petrol. OK so there is £25 worth of oil, and the time it takes to pour in the extra 2 litres of oil (say 5 minutes at £60/hour equals £5 labour) to make £30 plus vat.

Next time I'm at the dealer I'll ask.

·
Registered
100 Posts
daiashthomas,
Spill the beans - which dealer and did you get good service? For an £80 saving I'll travel to Swansea for a day out and visit the relatives!

If this dealer is in Wales it wouldn't surprise me as the cost of living is signifficantly cheaper and there are some nice roads. Nothing like heads of the valleys on a dark and stormy night! :)
bassets honda llansamlet

yes the roads are awsome

·
Enthusiastic Supporter
627 Posts
bassets honda llansamlet

yes the roads are awsome
Many thanks for that

Terry - I to am puzzled as diesels require a lot less work when serviced!

How long does a Diesel 12.5k service take? Its usually labour that makes up the significant proportion of the bill. I dropped mine off at 8:30 and just after 10am I had a call to say it was finished (by the mechanic) - It took the Service Desk until 4pm to call me. (there was a lot of warranty work though :()

Usual labour rates around Northants are in the region of £60/hour, not sure on the local Honda dealer?

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Perhaps they allow a lot of time looking for the spark plugs!

I guessed £60 an hour labour to make the maths easy!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hey guys

-Diesel Service-

For info - just got a dealer to price match the second service - Llandudno charge £230 rather than the £275 quoted (Others asked for £300+).

Lesson is to shop around!!

J

·
Registered
58 Posts
I am amazed that everyone was not offered the 5 year service plan when they purchased the car from new. It cost me £500 and Honda call it the fixed price service plan. If I decide to sell the car during the five years the service plan tranfers with it. A good selling feature !

1 - 20 of 37 Posts