2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been to "necessity shopping" for work, ie razor, blades, shirt, tie (make up for the missus)

Upon starting full-time 'professional' employment whereby I need to be clean shaved every morning I went on the hunt for that closest shave. I had many varieties, electric trimmer, eletric shaver, mach 3, wilkinson sword quattro titanium and today purchased Gilette Fusion Proglide Power with 7 blades for £20!... Significantly cheaper than buying them in smaller lots for sure and Costco's price stood at £26 for the same deal which was £20 at Boots.

Basically the reason I went for a new razor and blades was the soreness from my current shaving. My routine is shower...let the steam soften my 'beard' and then straight out of the shower shave with King of Shave shaving cream...which does soften but doesn't lather much..and then an aftershave balm but I still suffer from razor burn and snags if I shave every day.. even after 2 days its still sore!

Any advice...I debated the Boots Double Edge Razor but backed out of the decision!

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Ask your doctor to put you on a course of female hormone tablets.
After a few months, you won't need to shave, but you will need a bra.;)

·
SGP Fk8
9,725 Posts
Real shaving co. hot towel mask first is awesome !! Then shave cream from the same company with a king of shaves razor does it for me :) never had any problems with razor burn s

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask your doctor to put you on a course of female hormone tablets.
After a few months, you won't need to shave, but you will need a bra.;)
Scanned that quickly and thought you was calling me a woman! :worms::police:

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
:)
I suffer with the same problem michael, when shaving.
I could grow a decent beard in a couple of weeks, so I often need to shave twice a day, if I'm going anywhere posh.
Bought myself a very expensive Philips electric shaver and it's been worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
pipping hot flannel on the face and neck, open up the pores, then a DE razor and your laughing, use sensitive skin gel, sorted!

and sooooo cheap too!

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Just been to "necessity shopping" for work, ie razor, blades, shirt, tie (make up for the missus)

Upon starting full-time 'professional' employment whereby I need to be clean shaved every morning I went on the hunt for that closest shave. I had many varieties, electric trimmer, eletric shaver, mach 3, wilkinson sword quattro titanium and today purchased Gilette Fusion Proglide Power with 7 blades for £20!... Significantly cheaper than buying them in smaller lots for sure and Costco's price stood at £26 for the same deal which was £20 at Boots.

Basically the reason I went for a new razor and blades was the soreness from my current shaving. My routine is shower...let the steam soften my 'beard' and then straight out of the shower shave with King of Shave shaving cream...which does soften but doesn't lather much..and then an aftershave balm but I still suffer from razor burn and snags if I shave every day.. even after 2 days its still sore!

Any advice...I debated the Boots Double Edge Razor but backed out of the decision!
Mate try a boots DE, go gentle, and give it a try on a weekend morning, the DE/Straight is my weapon of choice and I wouldn't choose anything else.... once you have the hang of it you'll never go back :D Plus Wilkinsons blades 1.50 iirc for 10 blades so 1 blade every 3 days, it'll 30 shaves for 1.50 It takes some getting used to, but the boots razor is very gently, use virtually no pressure, you don't need to push hard unlike with a crapppy mac3, you'll get less irritation too :)

Any Q's ask away..... if not try Badgerandblade.com :D

I have 2 straights, and 4 DE's and tbh the Boots one is mild and possibly the best all rounder out of the lot... :) Don't use sainsbury's own blades, they're Korean Dorco 501s, crap... :/

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MAY go back to Boots tomorrow and make the purchase..the razor was £3 and the Blades WERE VERY CHEAP...I think the blades were RIDICULOUSLY cheap in comparison to stuff like Gilette.

Worth wasting a 5er to write it off...that wont get you 3 blades for the Fusion...and if it does suit me I may save £15 taking the proglide back...or maybe a fathers day present!

Are the double edge razor good on thick beards...my facial hair is quite corse and harsh. If I try to shave daily it just ruins my skin and tugs SO much..does the DE eliminate the tugging/ need to shave the same area more than once?
Boots Razor Double Edge Razor with 5 Blades - Boots
That was the weapon I had hold of until the missus convinced me into the pro-glide as her Dad said it was brilliant...

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
thats interesting about the DE razor, i didnt think they were meant to be as good as say a fusion thingy? are they quite tricky to use?

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
MAY go back to Boots tomorrow and make the purchase..the razor was £3 and the Blades WERE VERY CHEAP...I think the blades were RIDICULOUSLY cheap in comparison to stuff like Gilette.

Worth wasting a 5er to write it off...that wont get you 3 blades for the Fusion...and if it does suit me I may save £15 taking the proglide back...or maybe a fathers day present!

Are the double edge razor good on thick beards...my facial hair is quite corse and harsh. If I try to shave daily it just ruins my skin and tugs SO much..does the DE eliminate the tugging/ need to shave the same area more than once?
Boots Razor Double Edge Razor with 5 Blades - Boots
That was the weapon I had hold of until the missus convinced me into the pro-glide as her Dad said it was brilliant...

Yes definitely worth a fiver, and the blades for the boots ones are ok (but if you get serious i'd recommend feather...... :D best blades going apart from swedes, sadly nlp).

DE's are excelletn on thick beards and will cause less irritation, good prep is essential as is pulling the skin tight, you'll find you get with practice a very close shave on a par if not better than a mac3. You may need 2 passes on a DE, but remember that for every one stroke a cartridge razor shaves the same area 3/4/5 times with no relubrication....

The boots DE and the Wilkinson DE are both gentle, my merkure 34C is vicious in newbs hands but i can get a shave that lasts 2 days with it if i try :D

ATB,
Tom

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
thats interesting about the DE razor, i didnt think they were meant to be as good as say a fusion thingy? are they quite tricky to use?
No and no....

The whole thing behind DE's and straghts is people view them as dangerous and inconvenient.... both of which is rubbish, King Camp Gillette started the cartridge war with the DE safety razor... they realised honing and stropping of a straight was inconvenient (and you only bought one straight generally in your entire lifetime) so they designed a standard blade and a handle that meant as a blade dulled you just threw it away it was cheaper than a straigth and you had a constant source of income.... :D they then moved to the cartridge from the blade as another convenience/safety thing... tbh a load of BS.... i put my blades in a jar and will recycle them when i get enough :D enviromentally friendly, whereas your cartridges never fully degrade....... they're expensive and cause skin irritation in many... something I have managed to eliminate with my DE :D

DE's do require a learning curve, of maybe 2 days with mach3's etc. you require pressure to bring the blades into full contact with the skin... on DE's pressure is a no, remember your pulling a single blade across your face, do it gently and you'll find the blade does the work instead of the pressure, ever wondered why you mach3 feels like it doesn't shave as well when you compare it to a newer model? the answer is the older the style of blade the ess work is put into it, and the less quality of the blades so you feel the need to change up to their supposedly newer and better razor... :) I believe you can get a years supply of blades on ebay for liek 40 quid.... :D as opposed to say a couple of tonne on mach 3 blades.... :D

Tom

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
Thanks for that Tom. I'm finding that the fusions, as good as they are, still don't really give that close a shave and still leave a shadow in certain areas of my face. Looks like it's time for a change.
Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
I use Wilkinson's latest *after both my M3 & last Wilkinson didn't last very long...* To be honest this one is brilliant, very close shave and no tugging.

But as said, i go through blades like i change my trousers... you know when it's time, when you get the first tug the blade has to go on them unfortunately.

I'd love to have a try with a DE, never had the guts, i'd end up in a bloody pile on the floor knowing my terrible luck! :p haha

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Thanks for that Tom. I'm finding that the fusions, as good as they are, still don't really give that close a shave and still leave a shadow in certain areas of my face. Looks like it's time for a change.
Colin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes practice and is not an overnight thing but i get better results :D it's also the same with blades but at like between 4/10p a blade do you really care :D :D

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A shave with Gilette lasts 2 shaves, 3 if I am lucky!
It just costs sooo bloody much... hense this thread!
I have been reading up on the internet and it seems as if DE is the way to go... going to purchase one today, have a bash with it this afternoon as I am not in work until Tuesday so if I cut my head off it has time to heal :)

·
-=SBZ=-
901 Posts
Cheers for the imput US, I'm forever suffering from razor burn and dry skin.
Best shave i ever had was in Cyprus, cut throat stylé. Lasted a day and a half before my face turned back into sandpaper.
I'll definatly look down the DE route now.

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
Alright guys, if you want any "Help" then just ask :D But have a good look on Badger & Blade theres plenty of newby guides on there :D

Basically take it easy and be logical, slow and most importantly no pressure :D Cut throats take more getting used too, but the shaves you get are beautiful. The prep is important, i personally feel soap and a brush givesd the best result but tbh as long as you massage the shaving gel or cream into your face throughly to rasie the beard it should make little difference :D DE's were around for a good 70 years before cartridge razors turned up..... :D

ATB,
Tom

Just added a few links for you guys :D

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Interactive_Guide_to_DE_Razor_Shaving

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php?title=Getting_started_wetshaving

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

There you go take it easy guys and welcome to the world of shaving like your granddad did :p (We beat Germany three times when we shaved like this..... not managed too since hmmm have we found our achilles chin? :p)

·
aka Colin
10,853 Posts
thanks tom, reckon ill take myself to boots today and get me one of these babies. and some decent blades.
is it still safe to go against the grain with these?

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
:)
I suffer with the same problem michael, when shaving.
I could grow a decent beard in a couple of weeks, so I often need to shave twice a day, if I'm going anywhere posh.
Bought myself a very expensive Philips electric shaver and it's been worth every penny.
Always found the Philips the best, I've just treated myself to the new sensotouch 3D that had £90 off at Argos.

I found that the foil electrics seem to make my face sore and don't pick up all the hairs.

·
Likes this
407 Posts
I just use T-Cut, then finish off with a nice polish and wax ;)

Dan

1 - 20 of 45 Posts