2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my ctr for a couple of months, its a 07 and seems to have most of the faults listed on the forum, which in fairness Honda have succesfully sorted.

One problem though was the flat spots and jerkiness when cold. Honda said they all do that sir. Having read other threads about using Shell V power I thought I would try it.
Put half a tank in yesterday and I simply cannot believe the difference it has made.

It really is smooth as silk when cold not a hint of any uneven running. I know its not minus 5 so will reserve full judgment but if yours has this problem get to your nearest Shell station and see if it works as well for you.

·
WARRIOR
2,107 Posts
i have used V-Power since i got my typeR and have had no such related problems,difference from normal petrol costs about the same as two pints of beer, money better spent in my opinion;)

Must be something in your findings eh:D

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
My old car was mapped to only use the likes of V Power, but I've not tried it in my CTR yet, might have to give it ago next time I fill up

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Well I'll play advocate here. Ive always used vpower on my fn2 and would swear by it. I recently had to use Tesco 99 momentum and it felt better?!? Also doing some live datalogging my knock sensor issue was less an issue with tescos 99?!?

·
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2,653 Posts
They say supermarket fuels can be better for your car as its always 'fresh'. With v-power etc most of the time its sat in the tank at the station as its so expensive but supermarkets turn it over much much quicker

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I hate shell. In germany we have a petrol station called Aral and their 95 is awesome. I was running Shell 95 "fuel save" and then changed to aral 95.. got upto 80miles more on a tank. Thats a big difference.

I've tried shell vpower once and I would rather use the aral ultimate which is 102octane... In my opinion too much for the FN2... 95 is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Put half a tank in yesterday and I simply cannot believe the difference it has made.
I find it hard to believe that half a tank over a days running would have made a difference. Over a few tankfuls and a couple of months maybe.

Personally can't tell the difference. I ran my EP3 on Shell Optimax for 8 months and got the same MPG and the same performance. The cleaning properties I can well believe as it's been well documented but giving cleaner running and more power and mpg, I have my doubts.

·
Premium Member
5,241 Posts
I find it hard to believe that half a tank over a days running would have made a difference. Over a few tankfuls and a couple of months maybe.

Personally can't tell the difference. I ran my EP3 on Shell Optimax for 8 months and got the same MPG and the same performance. The cleaning properties I can well believe as it's been well documented but giving cleaner running and more power and mpg, I have my doubts.
I'd put any difference in performance and mpg down to weather rather than the half a tank of v power!

·
Ageing Petrol Head!
352 Posts
Well I'll play advocate here. Ive always used vpower on my fn2 and would swear by it. I recently had to use Tesco 99 momentum and it felt better?!? Also doing some live datalogging my knock sensor issue was less an issue with tescos 99?!?
+1 The Tesco super has smoothed everything out and as a check I recently used 2 tanks of v power consecutively and to be honest was glad to get back to Tesco fuel.............Flashpro and CAI with inlet/CPL exhaust manifold too...................:cool:

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
In my old 4th Gen Prelude I had to run super unleaded as it was an import. Either filled up with v-power or Tesco 99 Momentum. Ran marginly better on V-Power. But this was a car setup from the factory to run on 100 RON.

Supermarket fuel is not necessarily better because it is fresher. The best bit of advice I got was to go to a busy garage (whether supermarket or not) as the fuel is fresher as doesn't sit in the stations tanks for too long.

My experience. The Tesco 99 is good, BP ultimate the same as Tesco. Sainsbury's SUL alright, but V-Power the best.

Funnily, the difference between diesels is more noticeable, the diesel accord runs brilliantly on v-power diesel, fine on shell fuel save. Not so great on Tesco and even worse on Morrisions.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
They did a test on this where they had 3 cars a 1.6 petrol a golf gti (turbo) and subaru impreza running 300 bhp ,the test they did was to run each car on a dyno with supermarket super unleaded,bp ultimate and shell after each one they drained and cleaned the tank before filling up with the next.
With the 1.6 engine it made no difference at all between the 3
With the golf gti the ultimate gave an extra 2bhp and 4 lb torque on the supermarket and the shell gave an extra 4bhp and 6lb of torque
With the impreza the ultimate gave 14bhp and 18lb of torque and the shell gave something like 20bhp and 30lb torque, If I can find the write up will get exact figures up but basicaLly it shows that unless u are running a high power/ turbo car it doesn't really make any difference,other than the cleaning properties,there have been lots of threads like this and they normally end up with the same conclusion.
I will try post the vid up if I can find it was a while ago so my figures may be out as going from memory!
I still get the jerky engine in my ctr running v power,I heard coming of the power the jerking is something to do with valves closing ,I think its exhaust valves to keep the car with in eu emissions limits

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
They did a test on this where they had 3 cars a 1.6 petrol a golf gti (turbo) and subaru impreza running 300 bhp ,the test they did was to run each car on a dyno with supermarket super unleaded,bp ultimate and shell after each one they drained and cleaned the tank before filling up with the next.
With the 1.6 engine it made no difference at all between the 3
With the golf gti the ultimate gave an extra 2bhp and 4 lb torque on the supermarket and the shell gave an extra 4bhp and 6lb of torque
With the impreza the ultimate gave 14bhp and 18lb of torque and the shell gave something like 25 bhp and 30lb torque, If I can find the write up will get exact figures up but basicaLly it shows that unless u are running a high power/ turbo car it doesn't really make any difference,other than the cleaning properties,there have been lots of threads like this and they normally end up with the same conclusion.
I still get the jerky engine in my ctr running v power,I heard coming of the power the jerking is something to do with valves closing ,I think its exhaust valves to keep the car with in eu emissions limits
I seem to get the jerking coming off the power more with v power?

Try find those result please would be interesting

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I will I am trying to remember which car show did the test. Have to admit I ran my car on normal 95 ron once and the car was a lot smoother,just didn't seem to have as much up top will try get them results up

·
Registered
2,824 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Yeah was fifth gear,good reviews,another thing I was always told is if u go to a petrol station where there is a tanker filling the station or just leaving don't fill up there as all the crap from the bottom of the tank is disrupted and swirls around then u end up with all the dirt in your tank!

Also I am surprised that a higher octane fuel like v power would cause det,surely the whole point behind using a higher octance fuel is that it combusts more efficiently...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts