2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'll be shopping soon for a 1.4 i-VTEC Type S. Currently driving a Jazz, which is going to the missus. I'm no stranger to Civics, and generally love Hondas. Really want a Type-R, but can't justify the fuel (more than 50 miles a day), so I'm settling for a humble 1.4

Basically I want one with a Black grill and body coloured side skirts -? is there such a model? I've seen pics on here- but not sure if its members that are painting. what is it and what year can I get one?

and what prices are coming in at?

also is fuel much better than the 1.8 ?

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Hi all,

I'll be shopping soon for a 1.4 i-VTEC Type S. Currently driving a Jazz, which is going to the missus. I'm no stranger to Civics, and generally love Hondas. Really want a Type-R, but can't justify the fuel (more than 50 miles a day), so I'm settling for a humble 1.4

Basically I want one with a Black grill and body coloured side skirts -? is there such a model? I've seen pics on here- but not sure if its members that are painting. what is it and what year can I get one?

and what prices are coming in at?

also is fuel much better than the 1.8 ?
Hi mate,

I love my 1.4 vtec personally and had it for just under a year.

All type S come with the black front grill, but only the newer ones (I think 2009+) Have the colour coded side skirts. But obviously if you get one before then you can get them colour coded. I bought mine brand new from Honda for £12,995.

Personally I've never driven a 1.8 so wouldn't know. But I don't think there is that much difference between the 2.

I would go for the 1.8 just so it has that bit more power.

But up to you :)

All the best

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
I bought a 2011 Type S and it has the black grill and is fully colour coded.

With regards to fuel. I get 48-49mpg when I am driving normally around town and on motorway. If I drive economically I.e 65mph on motorway and no town driving I can get 54mpg with a record 57mpg a few days ago on trip to Edinburgh from Glasgow.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
I bought a 2011 Type S and it has the black grill and is fully colour coded.

With regards to fuel. I get 48-49mpg when I am driving normally around town and on motorway. If I drive economically I.e 65mph on motorway and no town driving I can get 54mpg with a record 57mpg a few days ago on trip to Edinburgh from Glasgow.
Diesel I take it? My 1.8 is 33mpg around town :(

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
If you mostly drive around town, the 1.4 - if a deal of longer tours, the 1.8 ...

Pressed very hard, the 1.4 is really no better on fuel than the 1.8 ! ...

Having said that, I recently drove a (5-door) 1.4, and I was surprised as to how 'spritely' it was - it was the current i-VTEC version (100 BHP) and not the earlier 'DSi' engine (83 BHP) ...

As far as I know, the Type S 1.4 is only 2009+ vintage, and should therefore come colour coded ex-works ...

·
9,228 Posts
Hi and welcome,i think the later face lifted models came colour coded and with the type s sports grill
There was no such thing as a 1.4 Type S, before the 2009 facelift

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is mine 2010 civic type s 1.4, it wasnt color coded however ive seen some that were :) So far ive been very happy with car, quite economical and has a bit of a kick when needed, i would recommend it :)

mine with type r wheels

·
9,228 Posts
Here is mine 2010 Civic Type S 1.4, it wasn't color coded however I've seen some that were :) So far I've been very happy with car, quite economical and has a bit of a kick when needed, I would recommend it :) mine with Type R wheels
Very nice, but - BADLY needs lowering springs (and colour-coding) ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow thanks for all the reply guys !

i'm impressed with some of the mpg figures quoted. pretty much the same I get in my 1.2 jazz !

I do like to drive hard. So i imagine if i had either the 1.4 or 1.8 they both be driven hard.. probably more so when I get one, as I miss VTEC! so i'm settling on the 1.4 for the spare change at the pumps. i-dsi has made me change my driving style, trying to make use of the low end torque. don't know why honda ditched that engine, its quite mildly diesel like in pull compared to vtec. (living on as a hybrid doesnt count).

i wonder what would happen if they combined the two in a performance engine. hmmm..

anyways thanks for the answers and pics ! I'm waiting for prices to drop after the 3 year warranty expires then I'll join the brigade.

·
World Traveller
1,814 Posts
I drive mine hard, for one reason its run revving it all the way to 7000rpm, Guessing we have the same lead foot :) and i get 33-36mpg per tank, on motorway it only pulls 41mpg, but again, I dont sit at 70mph everywhere

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
how on earth do you get these figures from a 1.4 type s ??? im clearly doing something very wrong :(
It's easy if you drive properly. Red lining it in every gear may be fun but is it really necessary every time? Sticking to speed limits and having balanced acceleration. Predicting road traffic conditions and staying off the brakes and letting the engine do as much of the braking as you can. Looking after the car and keeping it in good mechanical condition. All these contribute to good mpg.

I average 48mpg on my day to day stuff. This is about town at 30/40mph and on A roads and motorways at 60/70mph and I don't hang about or drive like I am 70 (just ask my friends and family lol).

Last night on the way home (on a private motorway ;)) I sat at a steady 90mph all the way pretty much for about 30miles and still averaged 47.4mpg.

It's all about how you drive and treat the car. But this doesn't mean drive like you are 75. As soon as you try to race everywhere your mpg drops. Particularly when you roar away up a slip road then 1/2 mile down the road have to break for slower traffic then when they pull over roar away again before braking for the next slow batch of traffic then looking in the rear view mirror to see the car you flew by on the slip road appear behind you. That's where mpg plummets.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts