2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Short Journeys in a Diesel

Fuel 
4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Civic_Outcast 
#1 ·
I'm moving house at the end of this week, which results in my 40 miles daily commute being cut down to 6 (main reason for moving).

It'll still get the occasional long distance run, but probably only once a month.

My only question is will the diesel civic be alright with only doing such short journeys on a daily basis?

Probably worrying over nothing but just wanted to be sure!

#7 ·
I'm not sure about re-mapping yet, but come end of the year i'm definitely looking at some eibach springs to improve the ride. Just need to decide if the drop is worth it, as i've had the car scrape the floor twice in the last month in different places.

#9 ·
My run to work is about 3 miles (tops!) my average fuel comsumption is 28mpg at the min!!
Shocking i know...

But i dont have an issue with how the car runs; perfectly!

I just take it on a blast once a week for a couple of hours to make sure everything gets hot and cleared out properley

#12 ·
You're worrying about nothing, my friend.

My daily commute is about 8 miles (6 miles at 30mph urban roads, and the last 2 miles on a 50mph single carriageway)
I rarely see less than 48mpg, and at the moment, it's showing 50.4mpg from 239 miles.

* - all figures are indicated, but suitable for comparison :)

#13 ·
Just ensure its had enough time to get up to operating temperature each time you run it, and give it the beans once in a while ;)

Maybe consider having the EGR mapped out as it has the potential to start choking with only short runs, but not absolutely necessary.

#16 ·
I work less than 2 miles from home & had an Astra CDTi for 3 years I covered less than 7k a year & it was fine. I did blank off the EGR & vent out the crank case oil vapour pipe though so no sludge was getting in my inlet or EGR. It also made it alot more responsive under 2,000 rpm as its sucking in clean air & not smoke, soot & oil!

#17 ·
Yup the GM's and some VAG's are easy to EGR OFF and you can get away with physically blanking them out. Not the Honda ICTDI's though I'm afraid, it's a far more complex loop with various calculations for fuelling, emissions controls and egr vaccum controls that need to mapped out, plus a number of errors.

The net effect is the same as you describe though and highly recommended.

#20 ·
I get about the same as mns. My commute takes place just before the traffic gets too bad in the morning )about 7.30 am and is from Biggin Hill to Orpington, about 8 miles on mainly local roads. The average over the last 7000 ish miles is 51 mpg, this does include some long runs (like to Cardiff and back last week) but is mostly around time. On the trip to Milton Keynes recently (M25, M1) and outside of rush hour I did average 58 mpg. This was helped by the endless 50 mph zones! I don't consider myself to be particularly light footed and this pretty much matches what my old 2.0HDi C4 could do.

#21 ·
I'm going to be doing about a 20 mile round trip everyday. Half of it will be on local roads, then onto a 40MPH dual carriageway until I hit Birmingham which goes down to a 30MPH dual carriageway. If I can get over 40MPG I'll be more than happy. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.