2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

Short number plates

7K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  Nowell 
#1 ·
anyone got short number plates on their car, the 5 digit variety or less. How do they look?

#4 ·
thanks all, did you shorten the size of the plate from the standard size?

#8 ·
I'm thinking the ones specifically for 5 digit number plates, think they're 330mm wide.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

#9 · (Edited)
That's what I thought you were talking about. But didn't know that you were allowed to do that. Are you, legally?
I can't find anything about it other than the 'standard size' is 533 x 152. Isn't it strange that those dimensions are within a few thou of exactly 21 x 6 inches. But my plates are actually 520 x 110 and a shorter front plate would not fit the Honda backing thingy.

You asked if I(we) had shortened the size of the plate. I said No. What am I missing?
The 5 digit number HERE is on a 'standard size' plate.

My 5 digits are a total of 310mm wide.

#10 ·
That's what I thought you were talking about. But didn't know that you were allowed to do that. Are you, legally?
I can't find anything about it other than the 'standard size' is 533 x 152. Isn't it strange that those dimensions are within a few thou of exactly 21 x 6 inches.

You asked if I(we) had shortened the size of the plate. I said No. What am I missing?
You can legally, as long as the characters are correctly spaced and are in the standard format.

Difficult to do on the front, due to the STD plate holder, rear can be done, looks pretty smart.

#15 ·
just a heads up cheaper on Ebay, around £12.29 delivered :)

Reactions: Haltamer and M8TJT
#13 · (Edited)
Anyone seen / have these?
https://www.fourdotdesignerplates.co.uk/cars/platecreator/find-my-car

The plates are legal; someone on PH was saying that they had been pulled for shortened plates though, so there is the potential for issues.
regardless of how many didgitds there is only 1 legal plate size
however if your didgits look legal most wont bother if you reduce the surounding area
i always reduce plat size on bikes but just to get them in propotion and had very little trouble
in fact only time i got pulled was when i had a 1 line plate similar to car plates which is not legal on a bike regardless of size

#17 ·
Hi, heat up with a hair dryer, it loosens the adhesive and then gently pull.

#19 ·
Yup hairdryer and some cotton.

#21 ·
Good [emoji23] you had me worried.

#24 ·
Dental floss is a little fragile, it breaks easier.
Cotton is something you use to sew with, also known as thread.

#26 ·
If there is stronger dental floss available then this should do the trick. If I had known or googled it beforehand I'd have been more knowledgeable.

#28 ·
Sticky wicket that [emoji3]

#30 ·
What a silly post.
How can you say that someone being pulled over is a load of cods?
If he was pulled over, he was pulled over. End of.

We have already established beyond doubt that 'shortened' number plates are legal providing the other parameters re. character size and spacing are adhered to, by reference to the relevant Government documentation. And that's without any reference to hearsay or urban myth.

Just because someone has not been stopped for 'whatever' for 7 years does not necessarily make the 'whatever' legal. It just means that they have 'got away' with driving around with a possibly illegal 'whatever' for 7 years. And because you have had no issues does not mean that someone else has not.

Perhaps the shortened plate was just an excuse to pull him over so that they could just have a look at his great car.

#31 ·
In much the same way as front heavily tinted windows are illegal but many are not pulled over for it.

One of my neighbours has all round, except windscreen, 'double shadow' tints on his 51 plate Merc SUV and has never been stopped.

#32 ·
I got stopped once.. was nothing to do with any number plate...

Was by an informative highways agency chap telling me my N/S/R tyre was loosing air.

#33 ·
it's a shame one cannot be put on the front.

#36 ·
Behind the plinth are there holes?

#37 ·
Just on the number plate subject I know you’re talking about shorter plates but what about longer/bigger ones? You see loads on Rover 75s where they are huge end rounded at the bottom. And on 1990s Rolls Royce they’re very big at the back. And Range Rover rear ones are big too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.