2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, went to a garage yesterday and had the AC gassed. All working fine till I got home and a few hours later it all leaked out. Paid £60. Went back today and they said the condenser was broken (was hoping they would've checked this since they knew it was a common fault) but I'm not sure if they did or not since I can't go inside.

Anyway, they got back to me and gave me a quote of £265. Seems quiet a lot to replace one, they would replace with an aftermarket part nissens or nissan, not sure which? They did say they would check it all over and keep the bumper off when they redo the gas for next time.

I was thinking of just replacing it myself since I won't be able to pay for it till the 15th when I have money. I could buy one now myself and fit it myself but get it regassed somewhere else and save myself £100-£150. An NRF from eurocarparts would cost me £75 and autodoc its the same price or I could buy a different brand? Regas will cost me around £35-50 if I go to a different place. Just unsure if there would be any other issues along the way. Everything else seemed to work fine.

Any idea what I should do? and if I should do it myself are there any guides on how to remove it all? Thanks.

Car is 2007 1.8 Type S

quotes.PNG

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Just had one replaced on my type R and it came in at £380. They had a lot of trouble with seized bolts etc as it is a 2009 model hence the extra cost. For what you have been quoted I would not hesitate to let them do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just had one replaced on my type R and it came in at £380. They had a lot of trouble with seized bolts etc as it is a 2009 model hence the extra cost. For what you have been quoted I would not hesitate to let them do it.

I guess so, wondering if they'd accept using a different part if I buy it and still do a regas for free, may have to ask about that. If it was nissens condenser they use then it costs like £95 on autodoc. They did say it would take a few days to order in but it costs £133 on there invoice. Or I could buy a NRF for £75 from euro and get it monday. I don't mind just dropping the bumper myself and trying to remove the bolts, I have penetrating spray, tools and I barely work so I can take time doing this job, just can't regas.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are confident in your ability to replace it then why not do it.
What's the worst that can happen?
I've no idea :LOL: trying to figure out if anything bad could happen if other people have done the similar job before, just rather save £140 fitting it myself.

·
i-Vtec
2,520 Posts
All this talk of AC and mines not blowing cold anymore. Compressor still works so assuming its just a bit low. Mine often took a minute or so to kick in fully cold anyway. Getting a regas tomorrow see if that fixes it if not ill just replace the condenser.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I guess so, wondering if they'd accept using a different part if I buy it and still do a regas for free, may have to ask about that. If it was nissens condenser they use then it costs like £95 on autodoc. They did say it would take a few days to order in but it costs £133 on there invoice. Or I could buy a NRF for £75 from euro and get it monday. I don't mind just dropping the bumper myself and trying to remove the bolts, I have penetrating spray, tools and I barely work so I can take time doing this job, just can't regas.
If you supply the part I very much doubt they will regas for free!

·
Administrator
18,076 Posts
I swapped mine out, the new condensor cost approx £100 and it took my around 2hrs.

I used new AC o-rings on the joints.

The local garage then tested and regas'd it for me.

Job done.

For a guide, look up how to remove the front bumper, unbolt the bonnet latch and the radiator work is self explantory.

Go for it and let us know hoe you get on.

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
they are supposed to do a test for leaks before regassing to stop the harmfull gases just coming straight back out
most wont fit parts you supply now as the fitting garage becomes responcible if the part fails and as you bought it the garage has no comeback on supplier for compensation claim

·
Super Moderator
2,193 Posts
that aswell
about 2 years ago my mate got a memo from the garage owners federation or something like that advising them of a court case that was won by customer who supplied there own parts but claimed against the garage that fitted the faulty parts
the garage fitting parts regardless of who supplies them is lable if defective

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All this talk of AC and mines not blowing cold anymore. Compressor still works so assuming its just a bit low. Mine often took a minute or so to kick in fully cold anyway. Getting a regas tomorrow see if that fixes it if not ill just replace the condenser.
Ask them to check for leaks and check the condenser for damage before doing the regas. My aircon lasted about 2 hours and then it was empty again, not sure if they checked before doing the test.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that aswell
about 2 years ago my mate got a memo from the garage owners federation or something like that advising them of a court case that was won by customer who supplied there own parts but claimed against the garage that fitted the faulty parts
the garage fitting parts regardless of who supplies them is lable if defective
Yeah I understand that they won't but may aswell ask them before I do anything else. I usually have a local garage who will do things cheaper but he's closed so can't ask him how much it'd cost to replace the condenser.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I swapped mine out, the new condensor cost approx £100 and it took my around 2hrs.

I used new AC o-rings on the joints.

The local garage then tested and regas'd it for me.

Job done.

For a guide, look up how to remove the front bumper, unbolt the bonnet latch and the radiator work is self explantory.

Go for it and let us know hoe you get on.
Might just go for it then and post pictures or ask for help if needed. Just bothered about the bumper job really lol

Was also thinking of adding extra meshing to that area to protect it whilst the bumper will be off, has anyone done that before?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I've done a few radiator swaps and A/C condenser's on different vehicles (I remove them to delete A/C) I'd never pay over £100 labour to have a condenser swapped out.

You drive a Honda, so all you need is a basic set of tools.

Mechanics will say they had a right pain in the backside with the job, they want you to come back again. Every job is complex and complicated to them, they never say it's easy. Especially when you're parting with hundreds of pounds. ;)

Just ensure you use a wire brush on rusty bolt heads and tap the socket on lightly with a hammer to ensure you're on the bolt fully, and not at an angle, or wrong size as the rust has prevented the socket going over properly. If you use your tools correctly, you cannot snap a bolt. Improper use or wrong tools causes problems.

·
i-Vtec
2,520 Posts
Ask them to check for leaks and check the condenser for damage before doing the regas. My aircon lasted about 2 hours and then it was empty again, not sure if they checked before doing the test.
Its my neighbour thats doing it at the Ford dealership he works at, im getting the regas at a super cheap price, if it deosnt hold ill just buy a new condensor, swap it out and get it regased.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the same issue. Replaced the omron relay but that didn't work, pressed the valve on the low pressure side and it was empty. Local garage pressure tested it with nitrogen and it wouldn't hold pressure diagnosed it as a leaking condenser. Ordered the nrf from euro car parts, they sent an eis branded one instead. Decided not to change it myself, garage fitted my condenser did a pressure test then pag oil and regas for £150
Money well spent in this weather.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts