2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to figure this out, but i don't think i can without asking here.

I have a 57 deep bronze CTR, 42.8k miles. Currently waiting for Honda to get back to me about fixing the rust above windscreen. (The guy at Honda said he cant see why they wouldn't do it for me, but just waiting for the response from Honda)

I love my CTR so much, i have bigger plans for it than i ever thought i would (Thanks to you lot on here........)

But I am now unsure about putting a lot of money into this car for the next 3/4 years ( I want to keep it as long as i possibly can) or should i trade it in, buy a newer version and spend it on that? (With a huge delay in getting mods though)

Is 43k miles anything to worry about? I do about 2-3k a year.
The paint sucks (I like the colour, apart from no parts come in this colour) and was considering a respray in DBP just to get rid of the easily-damaged paint.

There are a couple of issues with it, the knocking when fully locked (Only heard it 2/3 times in about 10months), squeaky suspension for about 30 seconds when its cold/wet. Also has FSH but only 2 of the 4 are from Honda (2 diff Honda garages, 1 Available car - yeah i know :( and the other is Evans Halshaw from when i bought it)

Other than that, Interior is mint, Drives & sounds great, engine bay looked 10x better than the others i viewed at the time.

What do you think? lol. :popcorn:

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
difficult one really, what about one of the many for sale on here that are already heavily modded, could save you a fortune. Andys CW looks to be a great buy IMO

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
difficult one really, what about one of the many for sale on here that are already heavily modded, could save you a fortune. Andys CW looks to be a great buy IMO
Unfortunately, if i was to trade it in, i couldn't afford anything around the price of that. The upgrade would be a few years/lower mileage if im honest. (which is why im not sure if its worth it)

While i completely understand where you are coming from, I personally would like to see my car be modded by me (Not literally by me, but me paying a profesional to do it:D) Because my life seems to much more fun saving money for parts, deciding what one first, which i go for.. etc.

Plus, buying parts (charger, Mugen wing/other Mugen stuff) will keep the car fresh with each purchase. Buying one already done would probably get boring quicker due to less upgrades i could do.

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Assuming you have to sink some money into getting the newer / less miles version will that make a difference come trade in time? Given you said that is 3 / 4 years away I would say likely not, so that money will not be recouped. These engines have been smashing the miles on without problem, so 43K with about 5K a year is nothing!

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
Keep it mate and spend the money on modding your current one. I'd keep the DBP i had one and kinda miss it now.2-3K miles a year aint much so wont worry about the miles on the car ive seen a few FN2 with 100k on the clock.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Unfortunately, if i was to trade it in, i couldn't afford anything around the price of that. The upgrade would be a few years/lower mileage if im honest. (which is why im not sure if its worth it)

While i completely understand where you are coming from, I personally would like to see my car be modded by me (Not literally by me, but me paying a profesional to do it:D) Because my life seems to much more fun saving money for parts, deciding what one first, which i go for.. etc.

Plus, buying parts (charger, Mugen wing/other Mugen stuff) will keep the car fresh with each purchase. Buying one already done would probably get boring quicker due to less upgrades i could do.
good points

Whilst it is a money saving exercise it does take some of the fun away.

What sort of age you thinking then?

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good points

Whilst it is a money saving exercise it does take some of the fun away.

What sort of age you thinking then?
Wasnt thinking any specific age, but didnt 09+ get some upgrades? (usb port etc?) or one with a LSD? probs too expensive with LSD.

Hi I have a 2008 9500 miles Milano type r for sale if interested
Thanks but if i do go to buy another one, i'd be looking for one with any upgrades that come with newer ones, like LSD.

cheers for replies, swaying towards keeping lol.

·
Premium Member
6,643 Posts
Wasnt thinking any specific age, but didnt 09+ get some upgrades? (usb port etc?) or one with a LSD? probs too expensive with LSD.

Thanks but if i do go to buy another one, i'd be looking for one with any upgrades that come with newer ones, like LSD.

cheers for replies, swaying towards keeping lol.
Yeah 09+ came with a few extras most noticeably was the LSD. Given the loss your make swapping Id say staying with your 57 plate is a better idea and fit an LSD if thats what your after.

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah 09+ came with a few extras most noticeably was the LSD. Given the loss your make swapping Id say staying with your 57 plate is a better idea and fit an LSD if thats what your after.
Thank you for your input, appreciate it.

also cheers JimmyH, nice car but i dont think i can justify it.

·
Mr Miyagi
2,928 Posts
Very interesting thread, always something that goes through my mind. But the money you would lose trading it in, like said already you could just spend that on the LSD for the 57 reg. Plus if you trade it in you could end up with a car in worse condition and with more irritating faults that you dont notice on purchase. The idea is a great one but thinking from a financial point of view id keep your current one (and il keep mine lol). The mileage you do is nothing for a Honda, the engine will take 200k easy so your way off.

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Keep it and splash some cash on an LSD, fast road geo and coilies/springs, it will make you smile

·
Muscles From Brussels
4,073 Posts
I saw a type r with 100k+ on ebay for 4.5k so they are good for it!

Im not going to reccomend either keep it or not follow your heart if you love the car keep it if not trade it in and wait maybe do a few horsepower mods to see if the love comes flooding back and you cant sell it!

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I'm in the same(ish) boat, got 49k on the clock, had my car nearly 4 years, was going to sell this year and now I'm going to mod instead (J's racing inspired bonnet first mod!) :D

I was really tempted to PX for a newer model, but my car is still mint, performs well (I'm sure I got a fast one!) and as others have already said, it's money that could be spent on mods... and they're not cheap!

·
Race Taxi Pilot
1,558 Posts
43K miles is nothing, even for the petrol and I for one, quite like Deep Bronze (not that common, which is nice).

The suspension irritations can be fixed with aftermarket shocks (not sure if they do Koni FSD's for the CTR, though).

Better the devil you know.

·
Living the dream!
8,542 Posts
43k is nothing and lets be honest is sure not worth loosing £3-4k to get a 2-3 year old car the same but with half the mileage, my advice is if you want to restore the love for your existing CTR then pay for

1. A good detailing to bring back the paint finish and brighten the look up
2. FRS is a must and will not only make the tyres last longer but improve the handling and maybe eibach springs at the same time depending what you want
3. Flashpro will transform the car but with a rolling road map will cost around £800
4. You mentioned about audio well if you keep yours why not invest £500-£1000 to give your self the setup you have always wanted?

apart from the flashpro and the audio you would get the rest for around £600-£800 and you will notice the difference and lets be honest this is not exactly going to break the bank.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Trade it in for a championship white one, otherwise keep it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts