• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After stumbling upon this earlier today:

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/type-r/9006-type-r-diesel-way.html

I thought maybe we should have a little poll to see what people really think of this idea. Bear with me, this is my first poll so the choices may need refinement after suggestions from you!

So, which of the choices applies to you?

Cheers.

Edit: How do I amend the stupid typo? Oh the shame...

A reminder of the Type-R philosophy:

From Honda's own press releases:

Quote:
Background
The Type R name was introduced by Honda Motorcycles, where the letter R was added to conventional bike names to indicate a performance derivative. For example, the CB – a standard 4-cylinder across-the-frame bike – became the CB-R, a sporting model.

The First Type R
The earliest Type R car was the Honda NSX-R, a stripped-down, lightweight version of the NSX supercar. This was developed in response to claims the NSX did not have enough power to compete with rival cars from Porsche and Ferrari. The key factor in this argument – and a point proved by the NSX-R – was the importance of the power to weight ratio. The NSX-R epitomised Honda’s approach to creating high performance cars, and every subsequent Type R vehicle has been built to conform to certain principles. Each follows a certain Type R philosophy.

Philosophy
The Type R philosophy is not about building the most powerful, or fastest car in the world. It is about creating a car that provides a well-engineered, but exciting driving experience. To offer this, every Type R needs to have certain key characteristics:
Racing
An exhilarating driving experience similar to that felt when driving a racing car.​
Involvement
High levels of feedback and involvement in terms of sound, steering response and handling. The driver should feel part of the machine.
Not just speed
Going fast is part of the Type R experience, but not everything. The Type R should have above average levels of performance in gear change quality, braking, steering and handling.
Pure
The driving experience should not be diluted or interfered with by over-intrusive driving aids or excessive sound proofing that could detract from the driver’s involvement.
Engineering
To meet the aims set by the philosophy, a different approach is taken during the design and development of a Type R. Therefore, each car possesses a special set of engineering qualities.
Normally aspirated
No bolting on of a turbocharger to give silly power figures. All Type R engines are normally-aspirated, which deliver smoother power delivery throughout the rev range, allowing power to be transferred through the chassis more easily, improving traction and acceleration.
Torsional rigidity
A stiffer chassis improves the handling of the car in terms of balance and adjustability. This makes for a more involving drive.
Simple technology
Each Type R is based on clever, but simple engineering solutions rather than relying solely on electronic gadgetry.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Hmmm, now there is a question. When I was looking I would have bought a Diesel Type R, but then its technically not a Type R. So Hmmmmmm what do I pick? :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmmm, now there is a question. When I was looking I would have bought a Diesel Type R, but then its technically not a Type R. So Hmmmmmm what do I pick? :confused:
Exactly my reason for the poll :)
Hope this one hasn't been done already (couldn't find one).
For me, it goes against the Type-R philosophy.
It will always be a Petrol, High-Revving, Naturally Aspirated car. That's a Type-R.

But, as always, just my thoughts.

Told you I had OCD - just changed 'Type - R' to 'Type-R'. Oh dear.

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
Thanks wheelie - knew I could count on you :)

You were too quick though - have you read my edit yet :oops:
Never mind, you can get away with it as its your first!;)

Hopefully the first of many, you can never have too many polls!

(We could have a poll to decide whether or not people like your poll!)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I have OCD though :rolleyes: - that typo will bug me. Can a mod edit it if possible please?? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,247 Posts
As regards a diesel 'R', I've never been a huge fan of diesels. They may be very economical, but the words 'diesel' and 'sporty' should not be used in the same book, let alone the same sentence.

As I've said before, a diesel needs a turbocharger to make any progress, imagine what a Type-R would be like with a bit of forced induction!

(I'm going to duck now, coming under fire from the diesel owners - Help!)

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As regards a diesel 'R', I've never been a huge fan of diesels. They may be very economical, but the words 'diesel' and 'sporty' should not be used in the same book, let alone the same sentence.

As I've said before, a diesel needs a turbocharger to make any progress, imagine what a Type-R would be like with a bit of forced induction!

(I'm going to duck now, coming under fire from the diesel owners - Help!)
This is what contradicts the entire Type-R heritage - hence my vote :)
Don't get me wrong - turbocharged diesels can be a lot of fun but they just cannot wear the red H!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I cannot vote as there is no option for my thoughts... make the 2.0L petrol perform/develop its potential first, when the technological limits are reached seek alternatives.
I think a petrol turbo with Honda engineering prowess is the way to keep emissions down and the competition at bay!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I cannot vote as there is no option for my thoughts... make the 2.0L petrol perform/develop its potential first, when the technological limits are reached seek alternatives.
I think a petrol turbo with Honda engineering prowess is the way to keep emissions down and the competition at bay!
Once I know how to edit a poll I'll add:

"Not yet - develop the petrol engine to its full potential before seeking alternatives"

Sorry at the moment I don't know how to edit. :(

I've just noticed you used the word turbo in your thoughts - no no no! :confused:

I'll still add it but as:

"Not yet - develop the petrol engine to its full potential (including using forced induction solutions) before seeking alternatives"

·
My other woman is my CTR
1,505 Posts
I know the type r is for racing... but I think it is a great idea.
Some of the most successful gt cars now are diesel (think it is gt class??) such as the peugeot and audis which have won many events such as le mans 24hrs. They are phenominal machines when seen in the flesh... Also audi have an R8 diesel. I think that sports cars are traditionally petrol but now that diesel has advanced so much there is no reason not to consider them as an alternative to petrol,,, not just a second line choice. The first type of racing vehicle was a horse and carriage but as technology advanced we race motorcars... so if everyone questioned such "evolution" we would never be racing machines at all... just my thoughts... its been a long 100hr week on call....!

·
Administrator
19,185 Posts
Once I know how to edit a poll I'll add:

"Not yet - develop the petrol engine to its full potential before seeking alternatives"

Sorry at the moment I don't know how to edit. :(

I've just noticed you used the word turbo in your thoughts - no no no! :confused:

I'll still add it but as:

"Not yet - develop the petrol engine to its full potential (including using forced induction solutions) before seeking alternatives"
Edited :D

·
Bournemouth Belle
900 Posts
I have never liked diesels - to me the early ones sounded like tractors - but I have to admit they have come a long way. My sisters both have sporty cars - one has a TT and the other a diesel engined Merc which has a lot of oomph and is quick, but to me still sounds like a farm machine as it is noisy on start up.

A diesel type R is a no no - goes against the whole concept in my book. If I had a choice it would be 'petrol' everytime!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
No chance. Type r is all about high revving. Adding a diesel destroys years of type r tradition.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
1 - 20 of 65 Posts