2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi first of all i'll appologise for asking again, but since my previous thread keeps getting further down the page i'd thought i'd ask this question.

I have removed my bumper as suggested and as far as we can make out all clips and brackets are intact nothing has snapped, the only thing we think it could be is with the bumper off the grille is flimsy has a few mm movement up an down and in and out (is this normal or should it stay rigid with the bumper off). Most of the movement seems to be coming from the grille clips that sit in the headlight brackets (these brackets are solid no movement) the clips haven't broke they still look ok but there seems to be too much play in them. When we but the bumper back on we popped the centre in and worked our way around when we popped the final part in the centre decided to pop straight back out (so it could be the grille surround isn't gripping the bumper in??). Has anyone noticed how their grille felt when they have had their bumper off, did it stay completly rigid??. I hope someone has a few more ideas now, as taking it to honda is way down on my to do list. Here's some pics of how it looks.

Grille surround looks normal but up close it has popped slightly out in the centre.

The grille being pushed in to show the gap.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Mine's the same matey, bumpers been of several times

The best way to remedy it would be to pull the headlight brackets outwards in the centre part slightly, this will mean it grips that part slightly tigher and ensure the (stupidly designed) clips hold the bumper (mine dont and still need a tweak, just havnt had the time)

Ensure the headlight bracket 'clips' are gripping the bumper itself (ensure the bumper is completely over the tab and 'hooked' on

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Should sit flush and tight into the grille mate.

When I bought my CW the bumper had been rubbing against the bottom of the grille and some of the paint had come off, got a new bumper through warranty as its common for civics to do this.

Was talking to a Honda tech and he told me the brackets under the headlights have to be modified ( bent:D) so the bumper stays clipped in.

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i bend the headlight clips towards the grille?? my mate suggested lifting the clips in the grille surround so the bumper cant lift and pop back out, either way i will have to drop the grille out as i have a bloody stone chip in the chrome surround and its annoying me, Im just confused how it happened do you think it has been kissed in a carpark or by a mechanic leaning on it, and your right it is a stupid design fault

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
The two brackets under the bumper need bending until it'll sit ok, might be a few times on and off before you get it right.

I need to do this where I work, kinda does my head in as we need to send out cars better than they come from the factory.(not just Honda).

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh i get you now, you mean the actual brackets under the headlights and the ones on the grille where your bumper sits in, i thought you meant the bracket that come off the headlight unit inside, So flat head screwdriver and prise them up so the bumper pops over and has something to grip onto.

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
Oh i get you now, you mean the actual brackets under the headlights and the ones on the grille where your bumper sits in, i thought you meant the bracket that come off the headlight unit inside, So flat head screwdriver and prise them up so the bumper pops over and has something to grip onto.
Slightly bend the brackets (the black ones under the head lights) outward (forward of the car) on the inner most parts (the two end bits), this will make the (daft) clips actually 'grab' the bumper

The clips themselves (or more "hooks" i guess) are simply cut and raised part in the bracket that grab the bumper then a guard piece which is meant to hold it in place
Try to knock the tabs a bit deeper (so they ''hook'' better) and pinch the guards into the bracket more so the bumper will be guided better onto the tabs and also less chance of it pinging back off

Don't expent to get this right the first time you stick the bumper on, it's pure trial & error :p

·
Civinfo Wind Up Merchant
2,472 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ it's easier to do than try and explain.:D
MUCH SO !

But bloody time consuming...

i'd got mine just right, then i found it popped back out one day, i can only assume some idiot had bumped it !! :facepalm: (luckily no furthur damage) but i've not had time to look at my own car recently to do it!

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would of been nice of honda to do this for me when they put the GP kit on 2wk ago, but seeing as they didn't even bother to give my exhaust surrounds a quick buff up just goes to show they dont really care about the customers, if that was me fitting the kit i would of at least tried to sort the problem and buff the surrounds up, i've always thought they were miserable gits.

·
The Dugs Baws
3,507 Posts
Didn't know Honda had your bumper off, get it back to them to fix.

As I said earlier when I was buying my car I noticed the bumper sticking out and pointed it out to the salesman and told him I'd fix it for some cash off the price but he was having none of it. Was him that told me they would fit a new bumper through warranty.

When I dropped the car off for new bumper to be fitted, the tech that was taking it in told me it was common so I asked what they do to fix it to see if was any different to what I do at work and basically it was the same method. A bit of bendolligy!

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was like it before honda had it, i know i keep saying this about this dealer but they are useless and i know they wouldn't just try to fix it they would charge for new parts, the quotes i've had off them in the past for work is disgusting

·
regrets his username
7,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well popped into an alloy wheel refurb place earlier and he sent me down the rd to a bodyshop place who also do body kits, told me to mention his name, they had a quick look and said they will pop the bumper off bend the clips an hold it in with a couple of screws to make sure, quoted me £15 and when the alloy wheels are being done (3days in total) they will do it whilst its in the same industrial estate. All in all cant grumble at £15 which means money to maybe get the mugen grille ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts