2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Talking of dashcams - I've just seen the specs of the next, series 2, range of Nextbase dashcams due out in April.

Talk about advanced tech:
TBH. I personally prefer something simple. More tech, more to go wrong, more to create heat issues in summer etc. A camera should be a camera to record video. It doesn't need to replicate your mobile phone or pc.

I see issues with tech:

Nextbase Emergency SOS, the world's first Dash Cam to provide emergency response services to the motorists' location in the event of being unresponsive after an incident.
1. Do we believe if after a crash you're fit enough to push a button you couldn't have typed 999 into a phone?

2. Any such system potentially allows a call centre to listen in and record conversations within your vehicle and tracks you via GPS. Potentially, a serious privacy breach if abused during non accident times, and something potentially accessible by Governments to track your location and listen in at times other than emergencies.

3. Can we trust companies not to sell GPS travel data to interested parties just as web data is sold? eg imagine who'd pay for tailored ads based on your geographical location, travel details etc

Alexa built-in. Developed using the new Alexa Mobile Accessory (AMA) Kit, the Series 2 will allow motorists to; control smart home, integrate with other Alexa devices, play music, place calls, listen on content on demand, organize calendars, get directions, find parking, and more
1. Don't radios and phones already play music on demand, have calendars, use Android Auto / Apple Car Play or Google Maps etc?

2. Hasn't Amazon/ Alexa already been accused of recording private conversations and breaching privacy?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/08/01/amazon-echo-can-used-eavesdrop-conversations-hackers-reveal/

Here's a Guardian Writer's reported experience with an Echo - he reports the device recorded and archived his conversations, including arguments with his wife which it also barged into!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/21/amazon-echo-alexa-home-robot-privacy-cloud

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/24/amazon-alexa-recorded-conversation

As for smart home, are we really too lazy to flick the light switch after opening the door! Probably far easier than sitting in your car saying "Alexa turn on the kitchen light!"

Incident Aware – a unique feature that works in conjunction with AutoSync allows incident footage to be instantly uploaded to an insurer, or third party on command of the use
I see the potential for footage you don't want being shared getting shared by accident or uploaded again by governments or police. Imagine if you drove stupidly for a moment but nothing bad happened, but your device uploaded that to your insurer. Next renewal premium.....

GPS - privacy issues although GPS alone can be argued to make no difference as any smart phone is already broadcasting your location. However, GPS enables speed calculation so if you were over the limit even by a small amount prior to an accident in which another driver was at fault, you either can't use the footage or if you do, you are going to lose your no claims as you just proved yourself partially at fault. Pretty stupid really. Great advantage of dumb video, is it just shows what happened so unless you were driving stupidly or stupidly fast, it won't show up minor indiscretions with speed.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
No. I personally don't want GPS never mind the other functions, but it's individual. I know some people will value those functions. They're just not for me.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I have the Nextbase 312GW. Works fine, only niggle I've had is that in the Instructions, it says a red flashing light means that it is charging and recording as it should. After about 6 month of use it stopped flashing red and went to continuous blue but you can still see a bit of red flashing if you look close enough. I took it back to Halfords who told me that this was fine, I argued the case as one morning I woke up and got a low battery message, they say they contacted Nextbase and they confirmed this normal. Due to this my Halfords fitted Nextbase 312GW is just out of warranty and a few times recently I've got a low battery warning when I start up in the morning.

I've seen the video on YouTube how to change the battery for about £7 and it looks a bit of a faf on but I'd rather do that than go to Nextbase for the same to happen considering mine was only fitted by Halfords last January. Yes it still works as it should and records fine but the low battery warning is worrying me as I bought a cheapo dashcam a while back and once the battery went dud, it would lose power over night and I'd lose all of my settings every time.

I'd say my 312GW is pretty poor considering some of the glittering reviews it got in different magazines etc. I suppose they don't test them for over 12 month. Next time I buy a replacement Dashcam it won't be Nextbase if battery life is 12 month.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
My Nextbase 380 doesn't have a battery, it's capacitor based.

But, if you want Parking Mode then you can buy a battery pack that goes into it with ease, in minutes.

I'm hoping the new 422 is also capacitor to avoid constant charging given the low miles I do. If not I may look elsewhere for a [email protected] and/or [email protected] as the 380 [email protected] doesn't really cut it in some circumstances.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
The battery is only there for parking mode. i.e. when the car is switched off and it gets a bump.
Pop along to the Nextbase bit of DashcamTalk. There is a bunch of stuff about it there.

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
I got a response from Nextbase to email them with my problem so looks like they'll look into it :smile3: I just feel Halfords fobbed me off till warranty was out. Defo a battery issue as "Parking mode" is off.

I also explained to them that the blue light IMHO was dangerous as it is within your peripheral vision and distracting when dark. So let's see what they come back with. Cheers for pointing me towards the Dashcamtalk site :wink3:

·
Ex-Pat Geordie!
2,228 Posts
Just as an update. Nextbase offered to either repair my 312GW Cam but would have taken 7 - 10 days or offered to send me out a replacement battery tonight to do myself. If you're any good with a soldering Iron it looks pretty straightforward.

·
Super Moderator
3,323 Posts
That was sorted a bit quicker over there than asking about it here wasn't it.
Especially as I pinged NB admin.
MInd you, if you hadn't asked it here, I wouldn't have seen your tale of woe and pointed you in the right direction.
Some say (to quote JCl) the NB CS is [email protected], but that is usually before they have actually talked to them.:surprise:

·
i-Vtec
1,497 Posts
No. I personally don't want GPS never mind the other functions, but it's individual. I know some people will value those functions. They're just not for me.
I agree with that. My last dash cam was 12v, had no extra functions, it took video that is all it needed to do, sure it cost £17. My £250 Blackvue has loads of functions that are of no use, many I cant even turn off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@Riko Why? Any obstruction to visibility is a concern, even chips on the windscreen, snow, etc, etc.
@tricky70 Well done finding that info, i've used it before when positioning my camera. Which is tucked up behind the mirror on the passenger side and is not visible to the driver.
Because a dashcam is fixed and normally installed out of view, no need for specific guidelines for a dashcam installation.
At least thats what MOT standpoint in Belgium, dunno about other countries

But now I wonder, what are the checkpoints when reviewing a dashcam install at the MOT?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
No, just common sense?

The UK government must think its necessary to include it into the checklist, and ours doesn't.
Couldbe Belgium is the only one, I dunno, never thought about it as a potential danger :)
So in the end its all policy and maybe based on data.
Maybe in the UK they had findings wich made them conclude to adopt a dashcam checkslit in the MOT? :grin2:

Again, I am very curious, tell me what are the checkpoints that a dashcam installation has to comply with?
Is it a lined out detailed and measured review? '*** amount of inches from the roof, *** inch from the drivers A pilar' ?
I'm just guessing.
Or more a free review upon first look by the inspector like, 'looks okay, no danger or interference for the visibility..' Something like that?

How and what are the guidelines for a dashcam to pass MOT in your country?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
You already replied to that in post #34.
thx for the reminder, oversaw that post :surprise:

Interesting! And yeah very technical indeed. :nerd:

And so every country has its own specific rules on certain matters, or not :)

and I was actually replying to post #33, because I saw the word MOT regarding dashcams.

·
Administrator
20,945 Posts
Different countries have different laws on using dashcams. This is from the Honest John website....

Bringing your dash cam on holiday with you can ease the worry of dealing with liability if you get into an accident outside of the UK. Unfortunately, it’s not quite that simple. In fact, the UK happens to have some of the most relaxed rules in the world when it comes to regulations that may affect your dash cam.

Laws on recording in public, filming people without their permission and operating in-car electronics have no set EU regulation, and are left instead to individual national governments. In some countries, you can actually receive a £9000 fine for recording with a dash cam...

So, lets cover the easiest holiday destinations first. You can use a dash cam in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Denmark, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Serbia, Spain and Sweden without any restrictions. However, things aren’t so simple in many other European nations.

In Austria, it is illegal to own, let alone use, a dash cam and even first time offenders can be hit with a huge fine of €10,000. Get caught again and it is a €25,000 penalty. In Luxembourg, using a dash cam is illegal (though owning one isn't...).

You can both own and use a dash cam in Belgium, but only for 'private use', which means that if you’re involved in an incident you’ll need to inform all other parties before submitting the footage as evidence.

Like the UK, drivers in France can use a dash cam but it cannot obstruct the driver’s view. Like Belgium, France also restricts dash cams to 'private use'. However, in this case, that means you can't simply just share footage (on Youtube or Facebook, for example) unless you ask those who are being filmed.

In Germany dash cameras must not obstruct the driver’s view. In compliance with the country’s strict privacy laws, any footage shared publicly must have faces and number plates obscured. Similarly to the UK, in Norway the only regulation on dash cams is that it’s installed out of the way of the driver’s view. It's legal to use a dash cam when you drive in Spain, but once you arrive in Portugal it's illegal to own and use a dash camera.

And as you might expect, the most confusing law on dash cams is saved for Switzerland. Although they are technically legal to own and use, Swiss data protection laws mean you'll be hard pressed to actually use the footage in any capacity.

For starters they can't be used for documenting a journey, Swiss law says there needs to be a legal purpose behind the recording. And it also needs to be obvious to the people being filmed that they are being recorded. As dash cams are often discreet features within a car, it's unlikely you'll manage to get around that issue.

It's probably safer just to leave your dash cam at home if you plan on travelling to Switzerland...

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I have the Nextbase 312GW. Works fine, only niggle I've had is that in the Instructions, it says a red flashing light means that it is charging and recording as it should. After about 6 month of use it stopped flashing red and went to continuous blue but you can still see a bit of red flashing if you look close enough. I took it back to Halfords who told me that this was fine, I argued the case as one morning I woke up and got a low battery message, they say they contacted Nextbase and they confirmed this normal. Due to this my Halfords fitted Nextbase 312GW is just out of warranty and a few times recently I've got a low battery warning when I start up in the morning.

I've seen the video on YouTube how to change the battery for about £7 and it looks a bit of a faf on but I'd rather do that than go to Nextbase for the same to happen considering mine was only fitted by Halfords last January. Yes it still works as it should and records fine but the low battery warning is worrying me as I bought a cheapo dashcam a while back and once the battery went dud, it would lose power over night and I'd lose all of my settings every time.

I'd say my 312GW is pretty poor considering some of the glittering reviews it got in different magazines etc. I suppose they don't test them for over 12 month. Next time I buy a replacement Dashcam it won't be Nextbase if battery life is 12 month.
The cold weather has probably triggered this. Batteries hold less charge in cold weather which means if they are weak, it shows up. Hence why most instances of cars failing to start occur in the winter months.

As for the battery itself, batteries don't like constant charging. Most also don't like full discharge states. Bit complex but some explanation here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/index.php/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

A simpler to decipher explanation here:

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/premature_voltage_cut_off

Basically LI batteries have the longest life when kept between between 30-80% as min / max charge cycles.

I agree with that. My last dash cam was 12v, had no extra functions, it took video that is all it needed to do, sure it cost £17. My £250 Blackvue has loads of functions that are of no use, many I cant even turn off.
I see it like Antivirus programs. A few years ago, companies all trying to outsell each other in a crowded market put more and more features into AV programs with the result that they slowed PC's down more with every iteration of the program. A few realised this and have since cut their programs back to a more core basis and are faster as a result. Those in the know, often buy those brands.

I see dashcams as a little similar. In a crowded marketplace, companies are trying to offer more and more features to try to make consumers think their product is better than their competitors. In reality, most of those extra features offer little of any use for most people, and the money would be better spent improving build quality, and picture quality instead.

No, just common sense?

The UK government must think its necessary to include it into the checklist, and ours doesn't.
Couldbe Belgium is the only one, I dunno, never thought about it as a potential danger :)
So in the end its all policy and maybe based on data.
Maybe in the UK they had findings wich made them conclude to adopt a dashcam checkslit in the MOT? :grin2:

Again, I am very curious, tell me what are the checkpoints that a dashcam installation has to comply with?
Is it a lined out detailed and measured review? '*** amount of inches from the roof, *** inch from the drivers A pilar' ?
I'm just guessing.
Or more a free review upon first look by the inspector like, 'looks okay, no danger or interference for the visibility..' Something like that?

How and what are the guidelines for a dashcam to pass MOT in your country?
I'm not sure the rules are dashcam specific, although the words dashcam may have been added to the latest MOT guidance to cover their existence. So far as I'm aware, the UK MOT has always had a requirement that the swept area of the windscreen be kept clear long before dashcams were ever though about. The UK tends to be a bit anal about safety and nanny state-ism (FYI for those who live outside).

41 - 60 of 80 Posts