2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got a new Type R who used to own an old Type R, and wishes they had the old one back.

I have old Type R and was within a midgies pube of buying the new one.

Head tells me new one is better but heart says otherwise.

Be honest.

Thanks

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I've never owned the EP3 but there are a few on here who have.

Without getting into the 'which one is fastest debate'!!! They all seem to think the FN2 is easier to live with day to day, and a better all round choice. :)

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
have you driven the FN2 ?
just as fast as the EP3 , corners flatter and harder, looks better, and some nice toys, not a contest, all in my opinion of course

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have driven the FN2 - I had one for a two week loan through work. I have also owned my EP3 since March 2002.

Loved the FN2 initially - it is strange but towards the end of the two weeks I was looking forward to getting back into mine.

I feel more part of the car in mine. But I suppose it could be the 'Old Slipper Syndrome'.

I am waiting to see if they hike the power up before I get one - as I test drove the Seat Leon Cupra - no contest in performance but the interior is shocking.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
I have driven the FN2 - I had one for a two week loan through work. I have also owned my EP3 since March 2002.

Loved the FN2 initially - it is strange but towards the end of the two weeks I was looking forward to getting back into mine.

I feel more part of the car in mine. But I suppose it could be the 'Old Slipper Syndrome'.

I am waiting to see if they hike the power up before I get one - as I test drove the Seat Leon Cupra - no contest in performance but the interior is shocking.
if you wanted to get back into the ep3 after two weeks then the FN2 may not be for you ?
re: hiking power - i doubt it , the facelift may lose a little bit of weight and have a few cosmetic touches but they dont need to make wholesale changes imo, the car is selling very well.
i do agree that Honda should have given 20-30 bhp extra to offset the weight that has been put on but what can we do. still love it :p

·
Registered
412 Posts
Carlos pleased to hook up man...Have you taken the FN2 out for a test drive.... maybe that would the first issue to look at as you have not said in your post if you have ....granted twenty thousand is a large amount ...but see if the key fits the door before you buy the house...ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE

·
Premium Member
22,623 Posts

Carlos pleased to hook up man...Have you taken the FN2 out for a test drive.... maybe that would the first issue to look at as you have not said in your post if you have ...
:?:

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I liked the old EP3, but held off buying a Type R for a couple of years until the new one came out.

The FN2 may be a bit heavier and slower than the EP3, but it is better in most other ways. You would have to race the FN2 and EP3 side by side to notice the performance difference. I was looking for an all rounder that was fun to drive and practical, the FN2 delivers for me.

Modern hot hatches are getting far too fast for public roads and this spoils the fun driving them. Its more fun working at getting the best out of a car than having to drive around at half its capability.

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
The FN2 may be a bit heavier and slower than the EP3, but it is better in most other ways. You would have to race the FN2 and EP3 side by side to notice the performance difference. I was looking for an all rounder that was fun to drive and practical, the FN2 delivers for me.

you would not notice much . its all down to driver skill and capability . the performance stats are too similar.
plus quite a few EP3's these days are modded, Kpro e.t.c and then the two cars cannot / should not be compared

·
Registered
412 Posts
Carlos.... stupidity is not inherent its ocasional on my part man.. must read all posts not just the juicey ones trouble is i am like that with books..ANYWAY i have a few cars and bikes but nothing draws me in like my FN2 ...Its way beyond out there man ...truly fabulous...ON A STEEL HORSE I RIDE

·
Registered
299 Posts
had my EP3 for 2 years and 76K miles and loved it. but love my FN2 more. just think it is better overall, more power would have been nice as i do miss the turbo grunt of my old leon cupra r before my EP3, but no less performance wise compared to the EP3. but overall love it.

·
geekess
3,638 Posts
I had an EP3 for 3 years and loved it. Was never very sure if i liked the way it looked but then i was more interested in what it was like to drive. To me it was the closest thing to a road going go-kart!! Total fun.
It was the first car that i've ever considered keeping longer than my usual 3 years.
When i went to the dealer to look at the FN2 i was really worried that i wouldn't like it as much as my EP3 even though i much preferred the looks of the new version.

Anyway the rest is history. I loved the new one. As already said i prefer the look of it and like all the toys. Very nice to have after the old one being so basic.
I think it drives better - especially cornering. Feels safer somehow. Doesn't feel any slower to me despite the extra weight. Also it's much less noisy at higher revs and generally much easier to live with on a day to day basis.

My husband and daughter are happy to be passengers in my new CTR. They hated the old one - maybe that was its one advantage - i had it all to myself [smilie=cheeky-grin:

So hopefully that answers your question Carlos1967. No i don't want my old one back.

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
I had an EP3 for 3 years and loved it. Was never very sure if i liked the way it looked but then i was more interested in what it was like to drive. To me it was the closest thing to a road going go-kart!!
To be honest R-2 that is what stopped me from buying an EP3, I was always unsure of it's looks, I could never argue with its performance but simply didn't like the look of it. :(

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks R-2 and to all others who posted. Looks like there are not many who have had both.

When I test drove the EP3 - it took me about 10 seconds to decide that I was buying it. However, a year after I drove the FN2 I still have nagging doubts. Looks like the most sensible thing to do is nothing.

I am considering waiting for the Focus RS in early 2009 or even a total change and go for a Nissan 350Z (bit impractical this one though). Would look at Megane R26 but depreciation faster than the 0-60 time!!

Thanks again for posts - I am really pleased that, from reading this and other posts, the vast majority of FN2 owners appear to be more than happy.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had two EP3's, the second one was a Premier. Loved them both. I have an FN2 now and love it too. I have not once wished I was back in any of my old Type-R's. The FN2 is just leagues away from the older car. I just find it infinitely better to live with day to day. It has all the raw power of the old car but it will also give you a quieter drive if just just don't fancy ringing its neck. Oh, and it looks loads better too :)

On the subject of a 350z you should definitely try one. I owned one and loved it. I think I would still have one if my circumstances hadn't changed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts