2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day

I have searched quite a bit for info on the Skunk2 DIC's.

I came across this on your FB page.
https://www.facebook.com/TDiNorth/posts/1005532306135371
They seem to make the same peak numbers as the S2S1's and DC DIC's.

I recall seeing a dyno overlay of the S2S1 vs DC DIC's and the S2's made QUITE a bit more midrange power.

Could you possibly assist by confirming how the S2 DIC compares to the DC DIC's?

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Funny enough they were removed at the owners request after only a couple of weeks.

If your looking for camshafts seriously consider the Kelfords. ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Funny enough they were removed at the owners request after only a couple of weeks.

If your looking for camshafts seriously consider the Kelfords. ;)
Thanks for you feedback. I assume that though the car made the peak numbers it lacked somewhat?

TBH, I would love a set of TDI North stage 1 DIC's but with our currency being at a all time low, it's just too expensive for me :(

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
It was drivability at low speeds as they have so much overlap.
Like all the Skunk2 cams they make the power but designed as race derived cams and people used to like the "camed" feel to a car with lumpy idles and that sort of feel until pushing then they take off and drive ok but in heavy traffic at slow speeds they are pretty horrible.

As a trackday car then probably a different story as you wouldn't have seen the same scenarios.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apologies for dragging this up again.0:)

I've managed to get my hands on a set of Skubnk2 Stage 1 V3's.
From this graph you posted overlaying the S2S1's with the DC DIC's, they killed them in the overall power band.

Is there any possibility of you sharing a overlay of the S2S1's with the S2 DIC's that you've mapped?

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I really liked those Skunk2 Stage 1s in my car. The tensioner didn't, but hey ho!

Worth noting that the Drag Cartel cat had a Js manifold which is a stubby manifold with short primaries into a single collector IIRC and my car had a Tegiwa header.

It's not a straight comparison.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really liked those Skunk2 Stage 1s in my car. The tensioner didn't, but hey ho!

Worth noting that the Drag Cartel cat had a Js manifold which is a stubby manifold with short primaries into a single collector IIRC and my car had a Tegiwa header.

It's not a straight comparison.
It's your review on them that made me look at them, as I have only heard horror stories of these cams before.
I cant recall, did you replace it with a OEM tensioner?

Yes, I'm aware that it wasn't a direcr comparison, and also kind of why I asked for the overlay with the Skunk2 DIC's, as that car has pretty much the same bolt ons you had?

Having said that though, I cannot see the gap in the midrange being closed so much that the DC DIC's are on par with the S2S1's?

I ultimately would love a set of TDI North DIC's (as I have only read good things about them) but for now they are out of my reach :(

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
The Skunk2 Stage 1 cams were fitted along with Skunk2 Pro Series valve springs as we knew they were quite aggressive and would trouble the OEM springs.

I ran the cams for about 5,000 miles IIRC and everything was inspected when test fitting the TDi-North DICs. The car was on 47k at this point, but the centre teeth on the OEM tensioner were stripped and it was only still working by pure luck. A victim of Skunk2's "Fast Ramp" technology.

I replaced the tensioner with a Clockwise Motion uprated one after that.

I personally found the Skunk2 Stage 1s to be very good in traffic but they had a very aggressive crossover compared to FD2 cams and TDi-North DIC and Stage 2s that I ended up with eventually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts