2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys & Gals

Can anyone tell me what shape the brake caliper slider pins are ? When I replaced all 4 corners discs and pads I noticed that the pins were all different shapes. Some were round and some were ground down.

If anyone can help could you send me a link to a site where I can purchase them from.

Thanks

Rem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they should have ground down areas on the pins. 7 are round and just 1 is ground flat.

If they are worn not fitted properly or the wrong shape. Then they can ruin your brakes. Whilst I was fitting £170 worth of top notch disc brakes and pads. The old pads were very badly worn. The back of the pads there was evidence that the piston was getting stuck in the back of the pad. The wear side one one pad was very low. The obvious cause of that is worn or the wrong slider pins have been fitted.

As I said I have just replaced my discs and pads with top notch gear so I want the pins right otherwise if the are the wrong shape type they are going to ruin and decent set of discs and pads. I think who ever as done them last they have seen the ground areas and thought that they are worn and rubbed them down to get the ground part out. I dont know why they left one with the ground areas on.

The sun comes out. So do all the numpties.

Cheers

Rem
I did a years mechanics course and learned a fair amount of stuff. That's how I know that the pins aren't right. This is my first car since I finished the course and I'm cutting my teeth on it. So still a bit unsure of certain jobs.

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
I would say badly worn on 1 pad lot more than the other is sign something been sticking either the slide pins or the calliper piston itself
but it is common on the 8g for the rear pads to ware faster than other cars and also uneven
not unusual for 1 edge of slide pins to have a flat edge on them

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Slider pins are greased using silicone grease and they are quite a snug fit in the caliper. If there was no flat area, the grease would form an hydraulic lock for the pin when assembling the brakes. The flat section allows the grease to squeeze from the end of the pin.

At least that's what I have always understood it to be for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the slider pins/guide pins do have ground or flat areas on them.

As only one caliper out of 4 as a ground/flat pin at the top and the bottom one is round. I think they all should be ground/flat. So (7 out of 8) are wrong ?

Could you advise me further please

Rem

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Mine definitely all have flats on them and just been looking at pictures of new parts which appear the same e.g. Slider Pins

Part number for front caliper carrier is 45014-SMG-E01 and rear is 43014-SMG-E01 if you want to run an image search.

See alsoSlider pins

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine definitely all have flats on them and just been looking at pictures of new parts which appear the same e.g. Slider Pins

Part number for front caliper carrier is 45014-SMG-E01 and rear is 43014-SMG-E01 if you want to run an image search.

See alsoSlider pins
Hi pal thanks a lot. I really appreciate it
Take care

Rem

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say badly worn on 1 pad lot more than the other is sign something been sticking either the slide pins or the calliper piston itself
but it is common on the 8g for the rear pads to ware faster than other cars and also uneven
not unusual for 1 edge of slide pins to have a flat edge on them
Hi
I fitted new slider pins on the front yesterday but I still have a rattle. When I dismantled the passenger front brake the anti rattle clips were loose. I replace them with another set. I went for a little drive. Still got the click.

I haven't done the back yet but have a set of sliders for them as well. Is there a special way of fitting the anti rattle clips so the wont come loose? I cant understand it all the others are ok. Went in and stated in.

Regards

Rem
Ps would an hammer do it hammer it in?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
The anti rattle clips fit snugly into the caliper carrier. They shouldn't allow the pad to move around.

If you touch the brakes lightly, does the rattle disappear. If not it's unlikely to be coming from the brakes. Sure your bottom ball joints and track rod ends are ok?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The anti rattle clips fit snugly into the caliper carrier. They shouldn't allow the pad to move around.

If you touch the brakes lightly, does the rattle disappear. If not it's unlikely to be coming from the brakes. Sure your bottom ball joints and track rod ends are ok?
Hi
When I am not braking I can here the rattle. (A clicking)

When I took off the passenger side they just fell out of the carrier.

I fitted new guide pins and now the rattle is back. Its since I replaced the discs and pads a couple of weeks ago.

In the kit were some new anti rattle clips but the last set wouldn't go in and stay in. So I force them in. I put back in the ones that were in on that side when I did the pins last week. They have either come loose or it the other side with the new clips in.

I have still yet to fit new guide pins in the back. So might end up putting back all the original anti rattle clips back in. The Borg & Beck ones with the new discs & pads were all ok apart from one set.

Cheers Rem

1 - 11 of 11 Posts