2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i just read this article Jalopnik - Brake Myths

It gives good advice regarding slotted and drilled discs, boiling brake fluid etc and generally thought it was a good read for anybody who might want to know more about brake setups.

I know there's lots of info dotted around threads on here, but this article seems to sum it all up.

Anything in there anybody disagrees with or would add?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I agree with the majority of what the guy says.

As for drilled or slotted discs allowing water to escape I don't think that is a biggie, do you really want 100% brake efficiency in the wet? Sound like good way to lock up the brakes (or set your ABS off).

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was a good read mate.
Interesting some of the points in it.
Yeah, i thought so, too.

All my information about braking systems and components has come from threads on here when questions come up, so it's interesting to know why drilled discs crack more easily (especially the cheap ones) and also that most pads have a mechanism for removing dust.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the majority of what the guy says.

As for drilled or slotted discs allowing water to escape I don't think that is a biggie, do you really want 100% brake efficiency in the wet? Sound like good way to lock up the brakes (or set your ABS off).
Well, you don't want water getting caught between the pad and disc, i suppose. And of course you want 100% brake efficiency in the wet! You always want the brakes to be outdoing your tyre's grip as oppose to the other way around, surely?

·
Registered
179 Posts
And of course you want 100% brake efficiency in the wet! You always want the brakes to be outdoing your tyre's grip as oppose to the other way around, surely?
You want your tyres to grip more than your brakes, always. Any loss in grip from your tyres is bad since your are no longer in control of the car. If you cant translate braking force to the tyre/tarmac, what is the point in having good brakes.

Since your are not getting 100% your usual grip from your tyres in the wet why would you want 100% of your potential braking force in the wet? A bit of a moot point really as your brakes are never wet enough to cause any big issue. The centrifugal force of the disc spinning is enough to clear the water.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You want your tyres to grip more than your brakes, always. Any loss in grip from your tyres is bad since your are no longer in control of the car. If you cant translate braking force to the tyre/tarmac, what is the point in having good brakes.

Since your are not getting 100% your usual grip from your tyres in the wet why would you want 100% of your potential braking force in the wet? A bit of a moot point really as your brakes are never wet enough to cause any big issue. The centrifugal force of the disc spinning is enough to clear the water.
Ah, yes, I see your point.

In an emergency, I'd want my brakes to be able to push the tyres to their limit regarding traction, though. Abs will sort out any loss of traction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts