2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was wondering and couldnt quite work this on out.... What uses more fuel?

100% throttle upto 70mph? (Fast and more)

50% trottle upto 70mph?

20-30% upto 70mph?

I am asking this as I cant figure out if it will be the same or not... Will using more fuel for a shorter time be the same as using less fuel for a longer time?

Someone eleberate for me :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Someone has to know this :D I for one would be interested to know which method uses the most or the least amount of fuel.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
If you accelerate keeping around the engines peak torque to the speed you need then go into 6th you should in theory be most efficient unless Relic can enlighten further?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
My experience is that keeping the revs to a minimum and the throttle to a minimum is by far the most economical, but don't ask me why.

·
Registered
684 Posts
100% throttle will use more fuel.

At part throttle the engine will keep about a 14.7 fuel ratio and will use a more economical cam angle for economy. At full throttle you will be hitting 12-13 fuel ratio and will be using more aggressive cam angles for performance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Please remember the overturning moment of the pistons.
To accelarate for example from 2000 rpm with (full throttle) right words?
dislikes your engine.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
100% throttle will use more fuel.

At part throttle the engine will keep about a 14.7 fuel ratio and will use a more economical cam angle for economy. At full throttle you will be hitting 12-13 fuel ratio and will be using more aggressive cam angles for performance.
Yes I understand that but what I am trying to figure out is what uses more fuel to accelerate to 70mph not cruise at 70mph.

100% throttle will get you to 70mph fast but will use more fuel... however

50% throttle will take longer to get to 70mph but uses less fuel over a longer period of time.

So wouldnt using less fuel over a longer time be the same as using more fuel for a shorter period?

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This calls for a real life test.
Onweed, you are our man!!

I think the most economical lies between full throttle and very slowly creeping up to speed, but no idea how much % throttle :popcorn:
I dont have any fuel :D Used 4 tanks on the weekend :/ Alot of driving and a sore arse was the result! :D

Maybe someone (relic) can work their maths and come up with a factual answer :p

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you go to some kind of German man festival wearing Lederhosen or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
No I mean sore arse as in driving none stop for more or less 12 hours then having a break and doing another 8 :D

All that sitting down (on my seat!!!!) :D

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
No I mean sore arse as in driving none stop for more or less 12 hours then having a break and doing another 8 :D

All that sitting down (on my seat!!!!) :D
Phew. Glad we have that cleared up then. I think maybe 75% throttle without hitting VTEC may be best.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The faster you accelerate the car, the more work is done, the more power is required the more fuel is used.

Ultimate eco technique? 5% throttle to 3000rpm, then skip a gear!

(doesnt work on hills clearly)

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The faster you accelerate the car, the more work is done, the more power is required the more fuel is used.

Ultimate eco technique? 5% throttle to 3000rpm, then skip a gear!

(doesnt work on hills clearly)
Without changing gear.

Say 5th gear from 40mph to 70mph no gear change...

Would using more fuel for a shorter time not be the same as using less fuel for longer?

·
I'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
3,095 Posts
where is relic when we need him ? :)

·
UKDM
779 Posts
This thread has also got me wondering what throttle percentage cruise control uses? As it doesnt seem to hang about, yet people say the car doesnt hit VTEC using cruise control after flash pro if in the lower VTEC window

·
everythings upsy daisy.
1,442 Posts
driving 100% throttle would use more fuel, as the engine will waste more fuel and become less fuel efficient and its trying to accelerate a heavy mass as fast as it can!

its about the fuel wastage and less fuel efficiency at higher revs..

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
driving 100% throttle would use more fuel, as the engine will waste more fuel and become less fuel efficient and its trying to accelerate a heavy mass as fast as it can!

its about the fuel wastage and less fuel efficiency at higher revs..
Yes I understand that using more throttle and more revs will use more fuel but wont using less fuel for a longer period, you obviously accelerate slower at a lower throttle %, more or less even it out?

For e.g 50% throttle gets 30mpg but you are at 50% throttle for a longer time.

but 100% throttle gets 20mpg but you are using 100% thottle alot shorter time than you are 50% so really are are getting 20mpg for a shorter time but will get to cruising speed alot quicker given you better mpg when cruising using the minimum ammount of throttle % to keep the desired speed.

I know its complicated or atleast I make it seem complicated... atleast its complicated for me anyway :D

Relic come relieve us with you mathmatical skills and give us some proper numbers to work off instead of me making them up :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts