2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking for a new car for my wife and have now 'played with' all the other Japanese manufacturers In Car Entertainment units - all now being touchscreen orientated I was particularly amazed at how the Suzuki's was much more responsive and near-instant when compared to the Honda's. Especially as Suzuki are much more 'value' orientated. The Nissan, Mazda and non-Japanese Ford interfaces were all faster too.

It is clear that the 'rest' of the Suzuki was not as high quality as Honda. When I pressed the volume control, or any function on the touch screen it was a fraction of a second to respond. I've pressed 'Climate' on my Honda and have waited a few seconds before for the screen to appear. The whole feel of the interface is generally a 'delayed response' and never anywhere close to instant.

Has anyone else felt somewhat dismayed that Honda seemingly get so many things correct, but their In Car Entertainment systems are lagging way behind in terms of optimisation?

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I'd say it's due to their Android base:- For the most part, the specs are minimal too; It's essentially the same as using a £80 Chinese tablet - Based on the same android, too, with the addition of some special sauce software to tie into vehicle systems.

If they added a little investement for the UI, which shouldn't be hard given the number of Android UI varieties there are, and the commonality of android - Developers shouldn't be overly expensive I'd have though! That, and a little hardware investment to have specs like a proper Android device; A few cores and 4GB RAM would do the trick - And it'd be very responsive, and if opened up officialy, easy to expand with other applications, which I'm sure would win the hearts and minds of many automotive journalists, who universally hate the ICE.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand it's a relatively 'cheap' Android based tablet, but the fact that it's so slow to respond, at least to some degree could be resolved with some optimisation. There's definitely 'animation' when you press some buttons and go between screens. If there was an option to 'turn off animation' or reduce the 'effects' of the user interface I think this would add some snappiness to it.

Just like on a PC you can reduce transparency or various effects to make things more responsive (not really necessary nowadays, but it used to make a significant difference).

Alas it is a relatively minor weakness in an otherwise exceptionally engineered vehicle.

I wonder what functions the 'tablet' is actually performing whilst the car is in use in addition to the functions you can 'see' working.

I know there's a 'Hack' tool, which I'd rather not use as I feel it's like handing your keys over to a complete stranger. Add to that you are voiding warranties and potentially modifying safety features.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Yhere is a hack and its big in the states where most owners seem to perform it. I wont go anywhere near it, can you imagine the cost to replace if it all goes wrong as Honda wouldnt cover it under warranty as it had been modified.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
And yes it's running Android 4 from many years ago, reminds me of my first Google Nexus 4 tablet. And it's slow.

The CRV has the subwoofer though which really helps, the Civic does not (American civic hatchback top version has a sub).

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I am currently looking for a new car for my wife and have now 'played with' all the other Japanese manufacturers In Car Entertainment units - all now being touchscreen orientated I was particularly amazed at how the Suzuki's was much more responsive and near-instant when compared to the Honda's. Especially as Suzuki are much more 'value' orientated. The Nissan, Mazda and non-Japanese Ford interfaces were all faster too.

It is clear that the 'rest' of the Suzuki was not as high quality as Honda. When I pressed the volume control, or any function on the touch screen it was a fraction of a second to respond. I've pressed 'Climate' on my Honda and have waited a few seconds before for the screen to appear. The whole feel of the interface is generally a 'delayed response' and never anywhere close to instant.

Has anyone else felt somewhat dismayed that Honda seemingly get so many things correct, but their In Car Entertainment systems are lagging way behind in terms of optimisation?

If the Suzuki system you are talking about is the same as in my new model Swift then it's a Bosch unit that is shared with the Renault Alpine. It works well and sounds fine. It isn't as 'pretty' as some of the Android units out there and, for some reason, doesn't seem to go down well with journalists but it is functional...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the Suzuki system you are talking about is the same as in my new model Swift then it's a Bosch unit that is shared with the Renault Alpine. It works well and sounds fine. It isn't as 'pretty' as some of the Android units out there and, for some reason, doesn't seem to go down well with journalists but it is functional...
I generally don't find journalists take in to account things mere mortals do. Indeed the Suzuki system did what it said it would, quickly and responsively.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts