2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my 2.2 EX diesel for 3 months now and am really really pleased with it. This website is really useful to pick up tips and am certainly looking at the Ipod link kit that everyones talking about.

One thing I haven't seen on here is if anyone else has noticed how slow the heater is to warm up. Maybe it's this cold weather but my old car (12 yr old Audi 80 2.0e) warmed the car up in no time. The Civic seems to take an age. Is this because it's a diesel? Anyone else noticed this or am I not setting it correctly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've tried it with A/C on and A/C off. Should I set it to recirculate the air in tha car until it warms up?

·
King of the rodeo
4,824 Posts
You could try that, I just know that people have had problems with the A/C set to auto before. I don't recirculate the air, it doesn't take long for me at all. Temp max and fan max, maybe 2-3mins to get nice and toasty.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Slow warming up does tend to be a characteristic of high efficiency diesels - use very little fuel, produce very little heat.

I have read (elsewhere in these pages??) that there is either an electrical booster heater, or the air conditioner is used as a heat pump to provide heat. Can anybody confirm, refute or enlarge on this please?

I too find the car VERY slow to warm up - on cold mornings - the gauge is still on the 'cold' endstop after my 5 mile drive to work, and the heater is lukewarm at best. I have found in general that diesels tend to this, whereas petrols are much quicker at warming up but use (quite a lot when cold) more fuel in doing it.

On a long run the heater works OK, though is never over powerful. Do our members from the colder Scandinavian countries find the heater OK?

I assume that (partly due to tax differenced) diesels may not be so popular there?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Slow to warm up

I agree about the diesel being slow to warm up - four miles is about par for the course for the gauge to move. My son's Accord is the same. It is a bit quicker if you turn auto off but it is inconvenient and you need the demister anyway.

I have to join the small percentage of "never agains". For a car of this price the noise, tyre noise, harsh ride, various unidentified creaks and groans are not acceptable. In addition, does anyone find, like me, that it is impossible to see the warning lights with the steering wheel at the top of its travel, without a significant head movement?

A potentially good car, but a great disappointment.

·
Onto my second Civic
469 Posts
I find I need to go about two miles before the cabin warms up; it also takes around this distance for the temperature gauge to spring to life. Mine is a petrol however.

I would say that the car interior is quite slow to warm up on cold mornings, and the leather seats in mine are unpleasantly frigid until the in-seat heater shows its effect after about three to four minutes.

One good thing I noted in the Summer though was that the air con cools the interior down rapidly.

btw, welcome to the forum schotten1944!

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Mine takes an age to warm up too, but as it's only a few miles to work it doesn't matter too much as long as I can see where I'm going and been.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The accords diesel engine had a gas / heat recirculation system which improves warming, making it one of the fastest diesel engines to warm up, this was removed from the civic due to lack of space in the engine compartment. That's why it's a little bit slower to warm up

·
Registered
200 Posts
I remember my old 1998 Mazda 626 which had a heating element in the air flow ...just after the poll interior airfilter. I think that this element was there to improve the speed of heating the car's interior.
I also suppose that this element was switched on with the temperature to maximum.

Does our Civic has such a electrical heating element or not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ok, Some cars have a magnetic clutch on the air conditioning system wich kind of makes it work in reverse. I dont pretend to understand the physics but it acts as a temporary heater until the beast has warmed up. not sure which types have it and which dont.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, Some cars have a magnetic clutch on the air conditioning system wich kind of makes it work in reverse. I dont pretend to understand the physics but it acts as a temporary heater until the beast has warmed up. not sure which types have it and which dont.
i think you are talking about "instant heat" in some cars (haven't seen any) have with aircon. every car has an magnetic clutch in the compressor wich enables the compressor pulley spin freely when not needed. but the instant heat uses 4-way valve wich re-routes the compressed, hot gas around the condenser and expansion valve straight to the evaporator coil therefore giving out heat to cabin instantly. in cooling mode the aircon routes the hot gas through the condenser wich cools it down, transforming it to hi pressure liquid. that hi pres liquid the goes trough thermostatic expansion valve wich evaporates the liquid inside the evaporator turning the liquid to lo pressure gas. this takes huge amount of energy wich is aquired from the warm surrounding air of the cabin.

i would like the instant heat option on civic though...maybe i shall modify my own to that...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts