2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey so this may have been covered before but I find searching this forum a nightmare on my phone and have issues logging in from work....
Anyway... I’ve noticed over the last few weeks that my car has become sluggish as if there’s something holding it back and seems to be drinking fuel. I’ve done a google search and some are saying that a caliper could be locked on? I had new discs and pads put on the rear about 3 weeks ago and was told about 2 months ago when i had it serviced that the exhaust needed changing soon as it was blowing just under the drivers door. So would either of these cause the issue or should I just take it to Honda and ask them to look at it. Bear in mind I’m a girl not a mechanic so unlikely to fix myself

Thanks in advance x

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
A sticking Caliper will lead to it being much hotter than the others (don't touch the Caliper or disc, see if the actual wheel is warmer than the others). Oil level OK? A blowing exhaust won't help

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Have someone check your air filter too, that may need replacing or may have become blocked. The exhaust blowing won't help either.
Also check that there are no loose pipes under the bonnet you can see. If unsure, take a pic and post ere for us all to take a look at.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the wheels after a drive to Meadowhall on m1. All wheels felt the same heat? Air filter was replaced on service in Feb/Mar. Done by ABP so I know it was definitely replaced. The belt under the bonnet looks very worn. I’ll try and add a pic later after work. Other than that can’t see any issues under bonnet. I’ve checked the oil it’s within normal range (good oil in only buy from opie). Re the belt seems like it should have something on the ends to stop it coming lose but doesn’t???

·
Enjoying life
8,559 Posts
What mileage is the car on?
Spark plugs, valve clearance been done?
Could be a number of things, if you can access an obd2 to scan for fault codes it would be a good place to start. Could be a faulty oxygen sensor.

·
K20 addict
983 Posts
Blocked/faulty injector was my issue on the Ep. Guzzled fuel, stunk and lost loads of power.

Could be anything though - faulty lambda, injectors, blocked filters, knackered plugs

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Plugs were done on service. Just gone over 100k. Gonna try some vpower in tonight when I fill it. Last few fill ups have been cheap she’ll (as my local garage don’t do vpower anymore)???? Valve clearance not done.

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
Since you say this issue has only just come on I'd go for the fuel first if you have put supermarket crap through her recently.
If you can't get Shell V power then use BP Ultimate or Esso synergy+.
These premium fuels have a higher octane rating so give more burn and so more poke at lower revs and that may be what you have just noticed has disappeared.
Valve clearances at that mileage would be a good idea since if they are off it won't help - the later FN2 interval is every 62,500 miles, the earlier ones every 25,000 - either way treat it as overdue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don’t have a BP or Esso garage local either. My nearest is sainsburys, tesco or shell (without vpower) but I can stop at services on a1 on commute and get vpower shell. I won’t put random or tesco in her and I’d only put sainsburys in if I was on the light. I’ll ring ABP and Honda in the morning to fina price for the valve clearances. I was gonna get them done when I got the service but ran out of funds. I’ve been saving for the new exhaust. Hopefully it can get done at the same time. Honda is 5 miles away, ABP 2hrs away. My dads got a code reader (apparently) so I’ll check that out this weekend. ** WHERE IS THE READER PLUG LOCATED** Thanks for your help so far xx

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
Don’t have a BP or Esso garage local either. My nearest is sainsburys, tesco or shell (without vpower) but I can stop at services on a1 on commute and get vpower shell. I won’t put random or tesco in her and I’d only put sainsburys in if I was on the light. I’ll ring ABP and Honda in the morning to fina price for the valve clearances. I was gonna get them done when I got the service but ran out of funds. I’ve been saving for the new exhaust. Hopefully it can get done at the same time. Honda is 5 miles away, ABP 2hrs away. My dads got a code reader (apparently) so I’ll check that out this weekend. ** WHERE IS THE READER PLUG LOCATED** Thanks for your help so far xx
The plug socket you're after (OBD2 port) is under the wheel, by your left knee. Stick your head down there and you'll spot it.

·
Super Moderator
1,292 Posts
Where do you live - in the middle of nowhere from the sound of it?
Sounds like you are stuck with standard fuel
Honda have a fixed price of £100 for the valves but maybe only with a service(?) you could ask about it as a one-off.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I had issues with my brakes for the longest time, turns out me being a complete numpty didn't put the rear pads in correctly. the nipple wasn't between the piston. Durp!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Give Tesco Momentum fuel a go, I use it all the time and I'm very happy with the results, better than VPower IMHO.
I have just filled up twice with Momentum having always used V power (20 months) and have found momentum to be just as good so far and also save over £7 a tank!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts