2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions about a proposed Sub install.

I am thinking about installing a small sub woofer with built in amp under the rear seats. I am looking for something small and discreet that works reasonably well. Having checked the dimensions, only 2 Subs are small enough to fit:

1 PIONEER TS-WX11A
This is similar to the alpine below, but also benefits from a wired remote control for set up from the drivers seat etc so this is my preference
http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/products/25/130/201/TS-WX11A/index.html

2 ALPINE SWD-1600
As used in the How to by Roger Harris on this site.

The next size up, like Alpine SWE 1000 and Pioneer TS-WX22A, would give better performance but are too big to fit fully hidden under the rear seats.

Questions:
1 Has anyone any experience of using these very small subs (the pioneer in particular) – do they give a useful improvement in sound quality?
2 As this sub is very small (rated at 150W), I was thinking of taking the power from one of the power / cigarette sockets in either the boot or the front console. Is this OK?
3 The sub can take signal off the rear speakers so, like Koen, I am looking for the easiest place to connect the cables – does anyone know the route of the wiring loom from the stereo to the rear speakers ? See link below:
http://www.civinfo.com/forum/ipods-mp3-players-ice/9759-rear-speaker-cables.html
4 I was going to fit the Pioneer TS-WX11A using Velcro patches stuck to the underside of the seat base. This would allow easy removal when I want to lower the seats. However, do you have to have a rigid mount for the sub for best sound quality?

Any other comments welcome.

Pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
go for the pioneer because of the remote, although the alpine is a nice bit of kit and you can pick them up really cheap at the mo

·
Registered
8 Posts
plus iam sure swindonjapster has fitted the pioneer sub already!!!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. It is reassuring that someone else has tried the small pioneer and rates it highly.

I have had a good read thru SJs thread; it’s a very professional install. I just hope the sub only install doesn't involve dismantling the dash - it looks like the front of the car has exploded!

I am still looking for help with my questions, for those that have done this sort of thing before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Blaupunkt TBH200A from bluespot. You only need to connect this to one speaker feed which makes it easier. It will sit nder the rear seat quite happily. £99 delivered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Blaupunkt TBH200A from bluespot. You only need to connect this to one speaker feed which makes it easier. It will sit nder the rear seat quite happily. £99 delivered.

Like the look of this for a cheap temporary option. Anyone got one???

·
Civic gone, not forgotten
2,092 Posts
Just a thought, will even the wiring get crushed if you fold the seats??? Remember 150W @ 12V is more than 10A (the rating of the power outlets). Assuming 70% efficiency you are looking at 17A so you will be leaving a bare high amp direct battery feed under there.

I had to be careful with positioning when putting a cigarette lighter splitter under mine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Munro

I have fitted the Pioneer sub in my Type R and it sounds quite good. You will have trouble mounting it where you have suggested as the seat will no longer fold down. The amp will catch on the step on the floor, but this can be remedied by mounting it further forward on the seat :)

I mounted mine underneath the single seat just like Swindon Japster and took a power feed directly from the battery. This is not to hard as long as you follow the instructions and pictures that were posted by SJ. If you want some pictures let me know and I'll get some for you before the weekend :idea:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Hi Munro,

I fitted the larger Pioneer TS-WX22A under the smaller seat on my Type-S.

I used velcro to attach it and it works fine.

Although the WX22A is (slightly) visible from above, I have fitted it under the mat, so you can't see it, and it doesn't restrict leg room in any way.

The Pioneer remote is very good, and the unit seems to work well. Taking feeds from the rear speakers is a doddle on the 3 doors, the panels clip off ever so easily.

However you must take a live feed from the battery (the worst part of the install, but do-able).

If you're going to the trouble of fitting one, you may as well fit one big enough to make the effort worthwhile!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Munro,

I fitted the larger Pioneer TS-WX22A under the smaller seat on my Type-S.

I used velcro to attach it and it works fine.

Although the WX22A is (slightly) visible from above, I have fitted it under the mat, so you can't see it, and it doesn't restrict leg room in any way.

The Pioneer remote is very good, and the unit seems to work well. Taking feeds from the rear speakers is a doddle on the 3 doors, the panels clip off ever so easily.

However you must take a live feed from the battery (the worst part of the install, but do-able).

If you're going to the trouble of fitting one, you may as well fit one big enough to make the effort worthwhile!
Thanks Humbermart, Can you post some pictures of your Pioneer fitted ?

I made a trial box the size of the TS-WX22A to see if it would fit and thought it would stick out too far. The box was pure rectangular dimensions so it didnt benefit from the tapered edges of the real thing.

Did you run the cable to the battery the same way as SJ, the bit past the bulkhead must be the most difficult bit ?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Munro

I have fitted the Pioneer sub in my Type R and it sounds quite good. You will have trouble mounting it where you have suggested as the seat will no longer fold down. The amp will catch on the step on the floor, but this can be remedied by mounting it further forward on the seat :)

I mounted mine underneath the single seat just like Swindon Japster and took a power feed directly from the battery. This is not to hard as long as you follow the instructions and pictures that were posted by SJ. If you want some pictures let me know and I'll get some for you before the weekend :idea:
The idea was to fit with velcro patches so that I could remove the sub on the odd ocasion that I put the seats down.

A picture of your installed sub would be great , Thanks

Did you run the power cable under the carpet to hide it ?

Where did you splice in to the rear speaker cables ?

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Yep, I'll try and take some photos at the weekend and post asap.

I used SJ's method of routing the power cable. I got some split corrugated conduit to cover the cable from the battery (immediately fitted with in-line fuse), and ran it around the edge of the engine bay. Mine's the 2.2, so I had to take of the plastic engine cover to get sufficient access to pull the cable though the existing gromit from inside the car.

Finding the gromit and pushing the wire through is a bit of an ordeal if your more that 4ft 6 tall and not double jointed. I ended up laying across the lowered seats on my back, with my head near the pedals!

The Pioneer kit comes with all the bits and cables you need (exc. the conduit).

I ran the cable through the centre console, but didn't bother to run it under the rear carpet. I again used the conduit the cover the few inches the cables are exposed as they leave the back near side of the console, and are hidden under the rear mat. It looks neat enough, and easily removable. I hope the forthcoming photos will show this!

If you take out the centre console (very easy), you can take the switched 12v feed from the cig lighter supply, and install the remote in either of the compartments.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Munro

Here is a picture of the sub mounted underneath the seat, as you can see I have had to mount it fairly far forward due to the step in the floor pan.

Sub Under Seat.JPG

I routed the wiring through the rear panel as shown; If you remove the trim running along the sill, you will find a channel that runs from the rear of the car to the front which allows you to run all of the necessary cables into the passenger kick panel and then into the dash. I used a SOT 908 to connect to the rear speakers as I installed a bluetooth kit at the same time. This is really easy and means you don't have to cut into the original loom.

Sub Wiring.JPG

Here is a picture of the main power cable leaving the interior of the car toward the engine bay. This is a little tricky due to the confined space.

The easiest way to do this is to get a a long philips screwdriver and push a hole through from the engine bay to the inside of the car. Then take an empty BIC biro pen (the tube) and with the help of a friend, use this tube to push the screwdriver out. This will leave the tube poking through the rubber grommet. Next feed the wire through the tube and hey presto your done :D Remove the tube from the wire by crushing it to peices with a pair of pliers.

Loom Inside.JPG

Run the cable to the battery and make sure you put a 10amp fuse in the line. The ignition feed for the amp can be taken from the cigarette lighter.

Loom Outside.JPG

I hope this helps and if you need to kow anything else just let me know :)

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
sub1.jpg

With the sub ontop of the mat, you can see the edge of it when looking back, although as the next picture shows, when viewed directly from above, it does no protrude or get in the way of any legs in the back.

The velcro hook pads I've stuck under the sub stick very well to either the carper or the mat, and make it easily removable for lowering the seat etc.

The cables are contained in the black conduit, which although shows up well on the photos, is hardly noticable in normal use, and again make the possibility for removal of the system easier if you sell the car.

sub2.jpg

The power cable is fused just after the battery and runs inside the new black conduit I have piggy-backed to the existing loom.

civic battery.jpg

This is where the yellow power supply cable enters the engine bay through the existing large gromit above the clutch pedal. I used silicone sealant to cover over the hole I poked through it with a screwdriver. Never thought about using an empty Bic tube though, what a brilliant idea!

gromit.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great advice Homer , Humbermart , Alanwalne and Dougl65 - thanks.

I think I will have to order my pioneer now

I still dont like the idea of taking the dash apart ( I will never get it back together again) so am hoping to get the speaker signal near the rear speakers.

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Ive got the SWE 1000 to fit to mine

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have upgraded all the speakers front and back, but would like a bit more bass.

is this one any good? RIPSPEED PSR-135A

Ripspeed PSR-135A Subwoofer from Halfords Price £49.99

looks nice and small to fit under the rear seats.

The Ripspeed does look small and cheap and it says it comes with a wiring kit, but you generally get what you pay for. Having gone to all the trouble of installing one, I would recommend spending a bit more on one with a good reputation.

The pioneer at @ £120 is more expensive but people on here recommend it and it obviously has a better spec:

Power rating 150 W V 100W
Freq Response 54-200Hz V 80-200Hz (ie Pioneer can handle much lower frequencies)​
Link for Pioneer:
TS-WX11A Pioneer Subwoofers - CarÂ*Entertainment

Let us know how you get on whichever you go for.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have found a wiring diagram which I think shows the route of the cables from the stereo to the rear speakers. This could be useful for someone connecting a small sub to the speaker cables, to save routing all the way back to the stereo.

I may install the small sub under the rear seats one of these days.......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts