2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi it happens month ago and now this morning when I come to work I stop the car I could smell strong smell of burning rubber I couldn't find smell brake pads no open bonet no but after just minutes smell was gone it happens twice in 2 months only thing I maybe done diffrent is drove bit fast say revs to around 4k way to work but brakes didn't smell
any idea guys I have 2006 civic 1.8 vtec

·
<3
2,103 Posts
Hmm doesnt sound too good that, its best to get this checked out.

You would probably get more of a response if you post this in the bugs/faults section btw..

:D:D

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I would suggest a slipping clutch.... do your revs increase but your speed stay constant/decrease sometimes????

Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had a similar problem with a 98 Corsa, turned out to be a slipping alternator belt. No screeching though - as you might expect.

When the car came to a halt you could really smell the rubber, seemed fine when driving.
Eventually the battery went flat as it was not being charged by the alternator.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
if it smells after a good hammering, It could be the cat. mine used to smell until i got a race header and cat back exhaust.

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
I suspect a drive belt. I used to have a 1.6 auto Civic that sometimes had a whiff of burning rubber after a quick run. It obviously wasn't the clutch, and I never found any other reason for it though it may have been more noticeable at night when the lights had been on and the alternator more heavily loaded. That could have made the belt slip a bit I suppose, though it never squealed:confused:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've noticed the same smell from my 08 CTR, it started when I changed my exhaust to a blue flame cat back system.

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
More likely to be the rubber exhaust hangers at the rear of the car as they get warm
That would make the most sense.

I have noticed the smell of burning rubber recently coming off my Accord. It only comes from the back wheel arches and its certainly not the tyres.

Its going for MOT and service next month, i' am sure it will be checked out.

Edit: Just check underneath the car and have a look if a plastic bag or other material has caught itself on your exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts