2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per title I've recently noticed a smell of oil coming back into the car- more when in vtec but it's definitely there and obviously not something I want either, is there anything I need to be looking towards as a possible cause for this, maybe something on the breather side!?

Only noticed it the past 2/3 weeks - nothing before??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
250bhp.... finally :)
4,279 Posts
I've had the exact same along with two others I know. Smell just started randomly, all in the last 4-6 weeks you get the usual vtec whiff but definitely has an oil hint to it.

We've been under two of them and found nothing, asked Grinspeed and found nothing.
My next job is getting the rocker done as it's been off at least 6 times in my ownership and not replaced the gaskets as I was waiting for my Spooner one.

·
K200588
231 Posts
Mines not had any work done for at least 6 months no signs of oil anywhere and hardly using oil to

·
4,279 Posts
Surely one of the perks of vtec ownership? Both my FN2s have had this... it's the smell of victory
There's the usual vtec smell but this just smells of oil.

No leaks and not burning oil so just put it down to weather being naff and probably helping trap the smells.

Reactions: jude505uk

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is a breather setup/crankcase breather setup that could be blocked/clogged up and that's causing it!?

It's got to be an under bonnet thing as the aircon is dragging it through (can't think of how else the smell is making it in!?

Car isn't using anymore oil than usual, and ok it's due a service, but like I say this is something that just seems to have "appeared" this past few weeks!??

I'm betting a new pollen filter will help mask the stink, but where the hell is it coming from in the 1st place!??

Could it be a crack in the exhaust or maybe just a leak somewhere near the engine???

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Pulling the smell through the air con sounds like a fault yes, I was under the impression you we're referring to the usual.

I had a similar fault in a 3 series, turned out that exhaust mani had a huge crack in it...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulling the smell through the air con sounds like a fault yes, I was under the impression you we're referring to the usual.

I had a similar fault in a 3 series, turned out that exhaust mani had a huge crack in it...

What do you mean by referring to the usual?

Ain't usual to get a horrible smell of oil coming into the car?!?

I'm assuming it's being pulled through the heater/air con system as it's got to be coming from under the bonnet - that kind of area as it's got to be oil vapours coming from somewhere.

All I know is it stinks and it's not something I want lingering!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think I've found the culprit on my car, got a slight oil leak on the right rear corner of the rocker cover, it appears to be running down onto the gearbox mounting plate and a bracket at the back of the engine and pooling there a little.

I think the smell that is coming through is because I have the aircon on, the oily vapours are getting blown backwards into the cabin as the rad fans are cutting in all the time!

Will know for sure if I can cure the leak and clean things up!

·
4,279 Posts
Think I've found the culprit on my car, got a slight oil leak on the right rear corner of the rocker cover, it appears to be running down onto the gearbox mounting plate and a bracket at the back of the engine and pooling there a little.

I think the smell that is coming through is because I have the aircon on, the oily vapours are getting blown backwards into the cabin as the rad fans are cutting in all the time!

Will know for sure if I can cure the leak and clean things up!

Aye, the rocker gasket can get pinched / squashed or blow from the corners if the sealant has ceased doing it's job. Nice cheap and easy maintenance thankfully, you need some sealant on the corners where there's a gap in the metal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I've just dabbed a rag with some meths on it down there as best I can and then blasted the area within wd40 (trying to use it as a sort of degreaser), and I'll see now if I swap an oily smell for cooked wd40!

Looking to swap out the rocker cover at some point for a new one anyway so hopefully that will come with fresh gaskets and that'll cure the leak!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts