2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My AC isn't on all the time, but everytime I turn it on, a nasty smell comes out of the ventholes, is this normal?

tx in advance

·
Resident Civinfo Nutter
4,451 Posts
Have you got cats living near by?

They could be using your car as a toilet....a cat or two did that to our BMW and it stunk EVERYTIME >_<

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
it will affect mpg very slightly. its very economical on the civic. i never turn mine off and recently it has been making some odd smells. or maybe i need to wash more?

·
Registered
414 Posts
i have to dissagree with it not effecting your MPG! ive found that i can get an extra of around 40-50 miles per tank more if i dont have the air con on/auto thats doing the same daily drive etc.. apart from not having the air con switched on.

·
Administrator
19,173 Posts
i have to dissagree with it not effecting your MPG! ive found that i can get an extra of around 40-50 miles per tank more if i dont have the air con on/auto thats doing the same daily drive etc.. apart from not having the air con switched on.
Obviously it will affect the MPG a little but not enough to turn it off. I think I am right in saying the handbook suggests leaving it on all the time to get the best efficiency from the system.

I did try the same thing, turning off the AC and found the results to be negligible in the main so now leave it on.

It's each to their own I guess, no right or wrong answer just personal preference :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I NEVER turn mine off and have never had a problem.
Why would you turn it off?
It doesnt affect your mpg on the Civic
Robbo, it does. turning on your stereo does as well as having bigger lunch. not very much though, but still.
every system on your car needs some power to work and you do not get this power out of thin air but from the engine, ergo - FUEL.
Same goes for every extra kg (or whatever you call it out there) - it drains your power, ergo - FUEL.

no wonder they get no aircon for those skinny F1 drivers :cool:

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Indeed, I turned on my AC today, my normal usage is about 6.5l / 100km, now it's 6.8l.
So it does affect it, but not very, very much

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
It's very small, and you certainly can't compare yesterdays usage with todays. Other factors have a much bigger influence - outside air temperature, water on the road, headwind or tailwind.

Of course a/c uses some fuel - it's just such a small amount that I have never been able to measure it.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Indeed, I turned on my AC today, my normal usage is about 6.5l / 100km, now it's 6.8l. So it does affect it, but not very, very much.
That difference can't all be due to the AC ! ... can it ? ...

That's a circa. 5% drop on an engine that runs at circa. 100KW ... i.e. it would mean that the AC was using circa 5KW ... doesn't seem right to me, at all (way too high a value) ...

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
JDR,

To cruise at 100 kmh uses less than 25 KW.

The way to measure this is to use an OBD2 to show fuel flow. When stationary hold the engine at 2000 rpm and measure fuel flow with the AC on and off. Then do a study to watch the on/off duty cycle times when on the road, and you have all the data you need. Anyone??

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That difference can't all be due to the AC ! ... can it ? ...

That's a circa. 5% drop on an engine that runs at circa. 100KW ... i.e. it would mean that the AC was using circa 5KW ... doesn't seem right to me, at all (way too high a value) ...
I'm not sure, but it's the road I take everyday to my work, didn't have busy traffic, no extra stops and I drove the same way as I always drive, a little sporty, but trying to be economical :) ).

I know it's not a very accurate way of measuring, but i'm going to set the climate control on auto for the next 2-3 fuel stops and make a roundup after that.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I'm not sure, but it's the road I take everyday to my work, didn't have busy traffic, no extra stops and I drove the same way as I always drive, a little sporty, but trying to be economical :) ). I know it's not a very accurate way of measuring, but I'm going to set the climate control on auto for the next 2-3 fuel stops and make a roundup after that.
I guess that it could \ will use more power when first switched on ...

I hardly ever turn it off (only if \ when the weather suits having the windows down) but haven't noticed any difference in MPG when I do ...

Anyway, re the bad smell ... have you tried removing the wet dog from the engine compartment :p ? ...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts