2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started noticing the smell, it doesn't smell like brakes or clutch it's just that smell of a hot engine. I can smell it after short drives without any spirited driving. Coolant temp is also fine and oil is just under max on stick.

Does anyone have any thoughts. It could just be my paranoia

·
Enjoying life
8,529 Posts
Carefully check the wheel temps and see if one is much hotter. Sticking piston is a fairly common issue.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I also get this hot smell you describe. I've search for oil leaks and other stuff that might cause the smell, but nothing to find. Just the smell.

I think it might just be the exhaust manifold. It's in a very tight place and has heat shields around it, so it could just be a build up of heat around that. But like I say, I've found nothing un-toward, that would cause the smell.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had a search about in the engine bay and I have a damp oil patch around the rocker cover so this could be what I'm smelling burning when it's hot. The annoying thing is I had my valve clearances done by Honda less than a year ago, looks like they used some sort of red sealant and it's leaking. il phone them today, surely they should sort this if they are the last people to work on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts