2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’ve had a problem with the smell of the spray from my washer jets for a few months now.

It seems if I use anything other than plain water in the washer reservoir every time I use the washer jets there is a strong smell like gas.

Its only ever the first about 5 seconds of holding the jets on then after that the smell is the normal screenwash smell. But in normal use I only give it about 1 second of spray which is more than enough, but it stinks!

Its like this no matter what brand of screenwash I buy, I’ve tried about 4 different kinds now, even a lemon scented one! All were the same for the first few seconds of spray.

I always keep the cap on the washer reservoir and the jests have never blocked with debris either.

Does anyone have any suggestion what could be causing this?

Has anyone had a similar problem with the smell of the washers?

Thanks for any help,

Allan

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
ok you got me on this 1 - i havent got a clue lol sry

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yeah, I had a similar thing. I just put it down to the fact that I don't use the car that much, and so the washers don't get used and the car windscreen stays pretty clean as I wash it regularly.

So, I just assumed that it was due to stagnant water or something. Probably wrong, but I don't know any better.

Since then, I've just kept the water resevoir about 1/4 full rather than full up so that I have to replace it a bit more regularly. Seems a bit better now.

I would be interested to know of anyone has a more definite explanation!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Maybe a bacteria in the washer bottle? Try filling the bottle with a mild water/bleach mix and running it through the jets(probably best to remove tube and point at the floor) do not have jets pointing at the car and rinse off and spillage asap with plenty of water.

·
Administrator
20,951 Posts
Every car I've had does this.

That blue stuff you put in is quite potent and it comes through the lower windscreen air vents.

Quite a pleasant smell though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was starting to think that it was something in the screenwash reacting with the tubes to the washer jets. Since when I run them for a good few seconds the smell goes away. Then after returning to the vehicle after a full day at work they stink again, strange!

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
I was starting to think that it was something in the screenwash reacting with the tubes to the washer jets. Since when I run them for a good few seconds the smell goes away. Then after returning to the vehicle after a full day at work they stink again, strange !
Have you been in the habit of using only plain water a lot (obviously not in Winter) ? ...

Plain (tap) water can have 'cooked' in the pipes from the reservoir to the washer jets, leaving a bacterial or fungal residue \ lining ...

Which will be what you are smelling for the first few seconds (water that has been in contact with the 'gunge' for a while) - the smell would disappear when water that hadn't been in contact started coming through ...

I never use only plain water ! ... in Summer, water + washing-up liquid ... in Winter, a reasonably good non-freezing screenwash ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts