2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First post and was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

i’ve just bought a 1.6 I-Dtec on a 63 plate with 82000 miles and picked it up on Wednesday. Full Honda history and seemingly in great condition.

This morning after getting home from work I decided to look under the bonnet. With the engine running, I removed the oil filler cap and there was a wispy, light stream of white smoke rising. Is this blow by, and if so is this small amount acceptable for a car of this age/mileage? It wasn’t excessive and it wasn’t chugging like a steam engine. Engine seems to sound fine, I didn’t note any oil splatter and there was no smoke coming from the dipstick.

Am I being paranoid? Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you,

Ben

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for the delay, I managed to film below:

This one is straight from start up. No smoke.
Honda Civic 1.6 D-TEC Running Cold

This is after idling for about 10 minutes. There is a fine mist this time - don’t know how well you can see it as it’s light. It’s being pumped out, which is a bit strange as what I originally noticed was almost like the smoke that rises from the end of a cigarette.

Honda Civic 1.6 D-TEC running warm

Putting my hand over the oil filler there is pulsating pressure which I’ve read could be indications of a poor engine. So to test this theory I decided to see how my wife’s current courtesy car’s engine behaved (71 plate X2 2.0 diesel, 5k miles) for comparison. Same pulsating pressure over the oil filler and that one had oil splattering everywhere. No smoke however, but my engine is nearly 10 year old and an extra 80k miles, surely I should expect some ware? To an amateur like me it just seems to be how Diesel engines run?

The Honda seems to drive well, pulls well, idles and accelerates smooth with no misfires. My plan of action at the minute is to change the oil and monitor how much is getting burnt, mark up the coolant level to see if that is burning too (though no tell tale signs of that really) and use the car at every available opportunity. I have a 3 month warranty so hopefully any major issues would appear sooner rather than later.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks again for any advice.
Ben

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry for the delay, I managed to film below:

This one is straight from start up. No smoke.
Honda Civic 1.6 D-TEC Running Cold

This is after idling for about 10 minutes. There is a fine mist this time - don’t know how well you can see it as it’s light. It’s being pumped out, which is a bit strange as what I originally noticed was almost like the smoke that rises from the end of a cigarette.

Honda Civic 1.6 D-TEC running warm

Putting my hand over the oil filler there is pulsating pressure which I’ve read could be indications of a poor engine. So to test this theory I decided to see how my wife’s current courtesy car’s engine behaved (71 plate X2 2.0 diesel, 5k miles) for comparison. Same pulsating pressure over the oil filler and that one had oil splattering everywhere. No smoke however, but my engine is nearly 10 year old and an extra 80k miles, surely I should expect some ware? To an amateur like me it just seems to be how Diesel engines run?

The Honda seems to drive well, pulls well, idles and accelerates smooth with no misfires. My plan of action at the minute is to change the oil and monitor how much is getting burnt, mark up the coolant level to see if that is burning too (though no tell tale signs of that really) and use the car at every available opportunity. I have a 3 month warranty so hopefully any major issues would appear sooner rather than later.

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks again for any advice.
Ben
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that at all, completely normal. Monitor the oil level by all means but the pressures and heat in the engine will cause smoke etc when the oil cap is off when it's running. Monitor the oil level by all means but I wouldn't worry about that. If you are still worried take it to a local honda or indie and get there opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts