2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a Diesel get any smoke from the back on start up?

On mine, if the car has been left cold for a while I get a small cloud of smokey fumes! I get nothing whilst driving. I've taken it back to the dealer and they had a look and found nothing - they just updated the engine management.

Anyone get anything similar?

J :)

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
During the first week of ownership, in February, it puffed out smoke on start-up.

Seems o.k now, not a sign of smoke.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello again!

I'm still having problems with this. The dealer can't find anything wrong - yet it looks like a 25 year old banger when I start it up!! It went in of an 'overnight' test - yet when they put it on the MOT emmissions test they found nothing - I also suspect they started it up first to take it into the garage and then tested it ****ing dopes - as he asked me to bring it in for an 'overnight' test when he found nothin!!!

I'm getting fairly big clouds of white smoke that smells of burning! Any ideas?? The longer I leave it, the bigger the cloud.

J :(

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Could you video it - to show the dealer? Really is not right, still nothing on mine. Smoke on start up on a turbo car is normally a weak oil seal in the turbo - in itself it's not a problem (apart from the embarrasing smoke) but again normally it indicates that the oil seal is faulty and that it hasn't got long to live. When the seal fails, the turbo will continue for about half a second....

·
Explosive Mind Unleashed
549 Posts
Can't say I have noticed any, but then again I can't reach the start button with my head in the exhaust :lol: :lol:

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Nothing from mine either (except on cold frosty mornings last winter).
Best have it looked at, and check your engine oil just in case.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I've split the bassworks stuff out :)

Jme: I filmed the smoke on my phone when I started it up to leave the garage - didn't get to the back in time to catch it though to get good enough film on my camera!

I'm going back on Friday when they are changing my rear right side shock absorber - so I'll film it every morning and forcibly tell him to check the f'in turbo.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
I have no way of recreating part of the OPs post, so I added it above.

I think that's a lot better now - thread creep is okay to a point, but that was literally two threads in one :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a quick video of it starting this morning. It gets worse the longer you leave it - so I'll do it again on Monday when its been sat on the drive for a few days.

J

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
That actually doesn't look too bad (not perfect, of course). When I started my Audi, the whole car vanished.

Dare I mention this..... I wonder how well the car was treated by its previous users (it was a demo car, wasn't it?) Snag is, that while it all still works fine, there's little reason for the dealer to go about fixing it.

Look forward to the next vid - and I'll have a look at mine from the rear next cold start.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I had a Golf that smoked during a downchange with the dsg. But I would'nt be happy with my Civic if it smoked like that, especially in this weather, even with a cold start. I don't think any of the other Civic diesels on the Forum smoke either. I think you have a problem.

·
Kids use a lot of space
806 Posts
Definately something wrong there, get the dealer to sort it; that's what the warranty's for isn't it?
It might be ok at the moment but probably go wrong later in life; or when you sell it (it's always done that) would cause buyers to walk away.

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I had a 306 had similar coloured smoke, but far more of it on start up, I think the 306 had an issue with either the intercooler or turbo and oil was dripping into one of the cylinders over night and then puffed like mad in the morning. Is it rough when starting cold, or relatively smooth.

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Richie, what is the dealer? doing about the smokey start-up ?.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update!!

Haven't been able to get a decent video of the start up for a while but today the oil light came on only 2 months after it was filled up! Goin in on Thursday for an overnight stay - fingers crossed they will sort it out.

J :(

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
I think yours is the only diesel of all the Forum members, that smokes on start-up. So its pretty safe to say yours has a problem, and I think they will put it right under warranty.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts