2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a quick question but my vtec changeover feels very smooth latley, is this a fault with it or is this just normal?
thanks...

oh i have a mugen intake and flashpro with group n map..

·
Type R GT Milano GP Kit
2,262 Posts
Also smoother if you can perfect the gear change trough the high rev's. ;-)

·
GC
4,438 Posts
Well I find it quite hard to get the gears in sometimes but this is only noticeable in VTEC, other than that I guess I change to early and then it's a bit violent when I start accelerating again. I'll tell you something else, when in VTEC, I can literally get out of third by looking at the gear knob, it has never popped out but takes little effort for it to move out when changing.
If you're going for it should the changes happen when near the 8-9k mark?

·
Batmobiles Rule ✌
6,587 Posts
Well I find it quite hard to get the gears in sometimes but this is only noticeable in VTEC, other than that I guess I change to early and then it's a bit violent when I start accelerating again. I'll tell you something else, when in VTEC, I can literally get out of third by looking at the gear knob, it has never popped out but takes little effort for it to move out when changing.
Sounds like your gearbox may have issues if you find it hard to get it into gear, should fall straight in (I have missed 3rd on an odd occasion). The violent bit when you start accelerating could be down to something I have seen mentioned on here called 'rev hanging' and is a feature of the standard car; once mapped it will be no more and your gear changes will be a lot smoother.

If you are going for it then change when the last rev light comes on.;)

·
Premium Member
10,524 Posts
Rev hang is when say your full open throttle to the redline going for the next gear, on a cable operated car as soon as you lift the throttle the revs would drop, on drive by wire cars like ours there is a slight delay that keeps the revs "hanging" when the throttle is closed to smooth out gear changes.

I have my rev hang pretty much eliminated with tweeks to the throttle plate map and the overrun fuel cut delay.

Some people prefer no hang or some hang.

Just depends how you hang really :)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
How many miles have you done on the clutch? I'm sure I've read somewhere, one sign on needing new clutch is struggling to change gear in vtec.

Also isn't smooth vtec changeover a good sign, i.e. engines been well looked after?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga_89
My Vtec doesn't work anymore :sad: .....Ive worn the Hi-lift cams to the same size as the low-lift ones :rolleyes:

Is that possible?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this was from another thread is this possible??
this is what i was worried about tbh..

·
Love Mi-VTEC!
563 Posts
I'm glad I seen this thread this morning as I was going to start a similar one.
I have a similar "problem" when trying to change gear when in VTEC, but I kind of think in my case the problem is just my lack of practice.
I havne't noticed getting the gears difficult in VTEC, but I definately have NOT mastered going from 2nd to 3rd.
Over the past 6 weeks of owning the car I've only really engaged VTEC in a single gear and hadn't bothered about maintaining it into another.
But on Sunday I decided to give it a go in as many gears as possible pullng away from the toll booths on the M6 and can only describe my 2nd to 3rd as feeling violent like a previous poster mentioned.

I'm hoping it just needs some mastering rather than the car having gearbox or clutch issues. It's done 65.5k (had done 63k when I got it). It feels great in all respects.
I do have about two weeks left on the warrenty from the garage so will do some more practicing, just in case I need to query the gearbox/clutch with them.

I'd also quite like to find out if it is indeed possible the wear out the hi-lift cams as per my other post that Tom found. :)

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
I'd also quite like to find out if it is indeed possible the wear out the hi-lift cams as per my other post that Tom found. :)
although i've near zero technical knowledge I would say that is impossible. vtec is there to be used (once warmed up) and can't be 'worn out'

·
UKDM
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenga_89
My Vtec doesn't work anymore :sad: .....Ive worn the Hi-lift cams to the same size as the low-lift ones :rolleyes:

Is that possible?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this was from another thread is this possible??
this is what i was worried about tbh..
It was a joke no its not possible lol

Noxia might wanna try a different gearbox oil and see if there is any adjustment in your clutch. I had my synchros replaced but the later 2 made more difference tbh

·
GC
4,438 Posts
It was a joke no its not possible lol

Noxia might wanna try a different gearbox oil and see if there is any adjustment in your clutch. I had my synchros replaced but the later 2 made more difference tbh
Ok will do. Would it not be worth getting clutch replaced at the same time whilst they're in there? Any idea on how much the synchros are.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts