2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

As I'm new to the Type R after some advice please, just done the smoothed air box mod on my FN2 and then fitted a cold air intake. Running this with a K&N panel filter.

What I have noticed by doing this is the throttle response is definetely sharper and the car feels more responsive.

But then I have noticed when I hit VTEC it seems quieter, and a smoother transition ? Where as before there was a definite whhhaaaaaaaa when I hit it ?

The car seems more responsive and still a quick car, but just worried I've affected the VTEC in some way by the mod ?

I have obviously removed the resinator that sits under the wing I'm wondering if that is designed to amplify the sound ? I'm unsure.

I appreciate any thoughts you have in advance.

Cheers :smile3:

·
Enjoying life
8,531 Posts
Hopefully you didn't remove the 2 fins just before the maf :smile3:
Where does your caf route? Did you recharge the filter? Not too much oil?

·
A wizard is never late...
793 Posts
a resonator is made to actually make the induction noise quieter, im my honest opinion the smoothed airbox is a waste of time as if it did make the car feel better honda would have made it like that from factory. but its your car to as what you wish.

i doubt its anything to do with the maf as the car would be lumpy and possibly even throw a eml, check all hoses are connected tight and maybe its just in your head that is changed. i know sometimes i notice something about my car after changing something small and think was it always like that or is it in my head.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I found the same. The resonator on the fn2 actually amplifiers the high cam intake sound. Honda must have tuned it to do that. I put mine back in and kept the smoothed box on my old fn2

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting an FN2 R very soon and considering this mod too - but maybe worth having a look for a used box on eBay to do the mod to and then reversible if useless?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
If people have removed resonator and say it quietens VTEC then that is something to be aware of.

I cant imagine removing the fins in the airbox would do much as so minor.

The main difference in performance is probably the knn panel filter and changed intake funnel to box. Even then must be minor and hard to notice.

Nothing to lose by trying. IMO leave fins in airbox, saves you buying another.

·
Enjoying life
8,531 Posts
^ This. Just get the filter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts