2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Instagram : Danny_Clegg
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Got a standard Type R which has absolutely nothing done to it. I took the standard plate off it to put my private reg on and discovered that the state of what was used to stick it on must mean the previous owner let their 3 year old child PVA it. I did also discover two really untidy drill holes that aren't even straight so naturally its bugging me. Was thinking of getting the bumper smoothed and getting a bike plate offset.

Has anyone done what im thinking of doing, and if so has anyone come across any problems or got any tips for me?
Im also toying with the idea of painting the wheels to match the GP bumpers if I ever find any. is £270 a lot to have your rims done?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
£270 is a lot to get them refurbished and painted! I'm local (Peterborough) and could do them for you for a cheaper price than that and a small Civinfo discount

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I am also interested to see how people got on with this?

Im getting new splitter and grill soon so was thinking of having it smoothed whilst in the shop and putting new plates on

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ordered my square plates, they should be arriving today actually. (Just got a bit excited then when I realised today was car parts day!!!) I'm thinking of just buying a spare tow hook off eBay and making a bracket myself. I want to make it face forwards though rather than facing off to one side like it would do if it sat flush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Just to let you know the police can and will prosecute you for using these plates, i got stung with £30 for each plate when i had bike plates on and because i contested it the copper was an absolute prick and searched my car also finding nothing and leaving me to clean it all and put everything back into the car myself. In my opinion its not worth giving them an excuse to pull you over, nothing worse when 65% of police are pricks

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to let you know the police can and will prosecute you for using these plates, i got stung with £30 for each plate when i had bike plates on and because i contested it the copper was an absolute prick and searched my car also finding nothing and leaving me to clean it all and put everything back into the car myself. In my opinion its not worth giving them an excuse to pull you over, nothing worse when 65% of police are pricks

Did you have yours mounted where the original plates were ?

·
No Smoke no poke
3,589 Posts
I have had a quick look into this and dont see why you got a fine

In neither of these documents does it stipulate that you can not use a square plate and where to display it

So long as the spacing is correct and characters are the right size, your front plate is white and your rear is yellow
The only other thing it mentions is no textures or patterns.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/2687/pdfs/uksi_20022687_en.pdf

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consu...n/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_067666.pdf

Think you just had a copper that just wanted to pull you on the off chance he might find something else, hence searching your car using your plates as an excuse but i see no reason for the fine myself :police:

·
Tarmacadam Terror
5,666 Posts
My Alfa had an offset square front plate from factory, most imports have square plates too. I recently had a look into this and they are allowed, not sure how the plod managed to do you for that rotten sod :(.

"Go Green"

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some people have said its fine. Some have said you have to have a jap import. Some have said well if you buy an Alfa they have them so it must be fine. I'm just going to put them on and if I get collected for them ill post it on here

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Make sure you post some photos please once they are on the car :)

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
yeah i had jap replica plates on and when the police measured the letters and spacing they were apparently 3mm or so too small and only legal on a motorbike in this country unless imported already them :( copper was an arse hole to be honest as he failed to find anything in a stop and search so said he was doing me for something before he went... ended in a complaint to the IPCC which is still unanswered :/ £30 for each plate same fine as using motorcycle plates on a car

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i had jap replica plates on and when the police measured the letters and spacing they were apparently 3mm or so too small and only legal on a motorbike in this country unless imported already them :( copper was an arse hole to be honest as he failed to find anything in a stop and search so said he was doing me for something before he went... ended in a complaint to the IPCC which is still unanswered :/ £30 for each plate same fine as using motorcycle plates on a car

It's times like those, that you wish you just had a big pair of breasts.... Get away with murder with them things!

·
Marty says BWAAAHHH!!!
820 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a 3/4 size front plate on mine which sits perfectly in between the bumper panel - it doesn't over hang into the lower grille if that makes sense? Sorry no pic!

Got the holes filled and smoothed while getting a front end respray last year.

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the square plate is on, no police issues as of yet. Annoying that I can see the screw holes now the standard plate is off. Will look at smoothing in the near future

·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

1 - 18 of 18 Posts