2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunate recent events have renewed my interest in getting a car tracker.

I've read that Dimplyred and Gray52 have the Snooper GPS tracker installed but I was wondering what the battery draining impact was of having this 'hard wired' to your vehicles. Is it negligible or will it kill the battery very quickly? The last thing I want to do is install this to find that my car doesn't start in the morning.

Obviously the snooper is still the most attractive solution given its £150 price tag and no monthly fee, with only SIM costs to cover. There are other solutions but I don't think I'm ready to be paying the prices they are asking for.

PS - if anyone is thinking of getting this, here is the link:

http://www.snooperuk.com/products/snooper_tracker/index.html

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers DR, did you get the Snooper Tracker Installation Kit (£50) as well? how do you wire up the snooper to connect to the vehicle power supply?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Dimpleyred, which model do you have? the spt200? i've also renewed my interest due to the unfortunate incident that happended today.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
After recent events - not just "TypeRiter" - I'm definitely going to fit some kind of Tracker - who has a recommendation ? ...

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Cheers DR, did you get the Snooper Tracker Installation Kit (£50) as well? how do you wire up the snooper to connect to the vehicle power supply?
Nope I made a lead from the USB cigar lighter that's supplied with the kit. You just need to connect it to a permanent 12v supply and fuse it down to 2A.

Dimpleyred, which model do you have? the spt200? i've also renewed my interest due to the unfortunate incident that happended today.
Yes that's the one. :)

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, thank you for your help and information.

By your answer I gather that it works perfectly well without the extended GPS antenna you get in the £50 kit too....

Great thanks!

·
Administrator
24,216 Posts
Interesting, thank you for your help and information.

By your answer I gather that it works perfectly well without the extended GPS antenna you get in the £50 kit too....

Great thanks!
No problem Kimo. That's right I don't have the optional antenna and it seems to work very well indeed. :)

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,643 Posts
group buy gogo ;)

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
When I first started looking at 'trackers' (back in November) - I saw that there were types that had their own internal rechargeable battery ...

They use alternator power when the engine is running - car battery power when engine is off (tiny consumption - mobile phone sized) - internal battery if any "smart bar steward" disconnects the battery, in case you have tracking installed ...

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,643 Posts
snoopy sounds good to me. lets set this up, where would be possible to set us up with a group purchase?

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
129.95 here: http://www.activegps.co.uk/snooper-spt200-tracker.htm
127.79 here: http://www.uplandscarradios.com/by-...oper-my-trak-spt200-gps-tracker/prod_606.html
124.99 here (incl Del & VAT) http://shop.snooperdirect.com/product1170186.html

I've not checked delivery, or even validity and reliability of these sites - these were thrown up by a quick search.

How simple is it to hardwire this into a hidden location within the vehicle? Seem to remember someone using a Tesco SIM card as it was only 4p a text as well...

·
CS1.6 Pro
1,643 Posts
i want one nowwwwwwwwwww

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
i want one nowwwwwwwwwww
I need to wait until payday and until permission from the boss - since our finances are particularly tight at the moment.

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tracker ordered :)

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Let us know how you get on fitting it and setting it up. I still think this is a good idea but it didn't reduce my premium by any so I decided to put it on the back burner for the time being.

·
ON A STEEL WOK I FRY
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fair enough - I knew I wouldnt get any concession for having it, but it does increase my chances of recovery should the worst case scenario occurs

·
i-VTEC - DO YOU?
3,111 Posts
Fair enough - I knew I wouldnt get any concession for having it, but it does increase my chances of recovery should the worst case scenario occurs
I'd be covered by new car insurance if it was lifted - but it was only my insurance company that didn't lower the cost: yours might. Certainly worth telling them just in case!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts