2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you who know me may have gathered I like my gadgets !! I am hhinking of buying Snooper Sapphire Camera Detector , has anyone got one and are they any good ??

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have one.

Its OK but;

Good points;
  • Excellent clear display
  • Easy controls
  • Laptop software works easily and quickly for updates (Windows XP)
  • Neat and well made
  • Additional cables and brackets easily available
Bad points;
  • Slow to acquire GPS (several minutes)
  • Not always up to date on motorway restrictions
  • Doesn't warn on well known (locally) areas for mobile detector vans
  • Easy to forget to turn off - so flattening its internal battery
  • In some areas - warns on pretty much every motorway bridge - which may be right, but is very annoying!
Would I buy again - probably not, but not so much due to a problem with the unit as I just find it too tedious to keep taking the unit out whenever the car is parked - and to leave it in place is an invitation to a thief.
therefore it doesn't get used much on local journeys (where I know where the 'risk areas' are) and its all too easy to forget it when going further afield.

If I didn't frequently move it between 2 cars and could permanently install it out of site with a remote antenna - then the answer would be different, but it all gets a bit hard to do that - and to buy two sets of hardware gets expensive with remote antennas etc. (Pretty sure there's a remote antenna kit)

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great well thanks . I do have a Tom Tom with speed cameras but dont use it unless going far a field. All I want is something to remind me when travelling with a passenger as you tend not to have 100% concentration.
Thanks again..........................still making my mind up

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I recently bought a Novus Alpha - and it really is very good.

Good Points:

• Small.
  • Excellent clear display, with speeds clearly shown.
  • Very clear and smooth voice.
  • Bad bend alert.
  • 20 seconds to acquire.
  • USB updating (no silly serial ports).
Bad points:

• 2 modes only - one mode doesn't continue to warn you if you're too fast, the other mode beeps every hour.
  • Silver strips can catch the sun and reflect in your windscreen (see photo).
  • No auto-brightness, you have to use the remote control. Idiots.
20080806_1655.jpg

20080806_1657.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Or you could go TalexLite/Novus Delta that have free lifetime updates (same unit, different name, both accept the free Novus updates).

I have the Lite and it does take some time for them to update the database. In my experience some new cameras can take 3 or 4 weeks to appear.

Nowhere near as accurate as the PGPSW database but it is directional which is a plus.

I looked at the Sapphire but the subs put me off.

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Pottsy...............that looks quite a nifty bit of kit , can you recharge from the mains ? Also thanks Kremmen

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
I wonder how the Novus Alpha subscription will work. The update process is just the same as the others - download a file (no logging in, no registration, nothing) and zap it in locally with the uploader software.

Since they don't know I have bought the unit, it will be hard to try and start charging in 12 months.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
Cheers Pottsy...............that looks quite a nifty bit of kit , can you recharge from the mains ? Also thanks Kremmen
There's no battery - you either use the fag lighter lead, or hard wire it like I did (5 minute job using the fuse box trick).

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has to be plugged in the Pottsy ? I was after something that would not rely on plugging as as i am getting overloaded with gadget cig plugs lol

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fuse box trick ??.............Wiki I suppose ?

·
TYPE R GT (R-15016)
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Maestro !!

·
BJJ IS NOT JUST FOR XMAS
4,720 Posts
Get a radar defussor no more worries

·
Foglight Covers FORSALE
3,178 Posts
i have the sapphire and i like it. it does take a while to get started but once its going it is good. i went for it mainly because of the built in battery and its small size, and you can change the screen colours as well. updates are very easy and simple, and i got the lifetime sub for £99. i swaped a road angel for it which was ugly on the dash, this is alot better, and they are now down to £99. you can have a red display so would look good in yours.

·
Naughty but nice
4,134 Posts
Get a radar defussor no more worries
I have a Snooper S5-R which is for camera vans and radar/lasers and the fixed cameras. I think if your going to be done its more likely by the vans on the M6 for me. That way I don't have to have Beep Beep when there is nothing there (because its a hot spot for the traps to be set up).

As for the Radar defussor, some guy in Walse was prosecuted for using one of these devices, some are already illegal and if your caught with one working then you get slapped with peverting the course of justice I believe!

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
I wonder how the Novus Alpha subscription will work. The update process is just the same as the others - download a file (no logging in, no registration, nothing) and zap it in locally with the uploader software.

Since they don't know I have bought the unit, it will be hard to try and start charging in 12 months.
My TalexLite updater has a unit serial and a subs serial that have to be entered on first download. From then on it remembers the details and performs the download after checking the numbers.

I bought my Lite in April 2007 and subsequently the one years subscription kit in May 2007.
I am still downloading my updates from Talex every weekend so I have not yet had to resort to the free Novus equivalent - yet!

Hopefully Novus are just as vigilant :D

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The Novus updater does none of that. You just tell it where the local file you downloaded is and it loads it in.

Now it may be doing some stuff in the background - I shall try downloading the file, unplugging from the network, and then uploading to the Alpha.

·
Super Moderator
21,041 Posts
Sounds different then - that's how the Novus Delta updater works. Download the file and run it as an exe.

The Talex updater fires off from a shortcut, identifies which COM port it's attached to, checks the credentials, if OK it then downloads the file and updates the Lite behind the scenes, you get no opportunity to save/examine the file.

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
The Alpha needs no internet connection, and passes no serial numbers back and forth (just tested!).

You get the database file manually from here:
NovusGPS

And the the uploader does it's bit without an internet connection:

novusalpha.gif

1 - 20 of 21 Posts