2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the glitzy, exciting and above all fast metal (and carbon fibre) on display at this year's Frankfurt motor show, you'll probably forgive us for having not thus far covered the launch of a new Honda Civic.
But while news of a new Civic doesn't really earn a place on a website largely dedicated to the discussion of performance cars, it does mean that a new Civic Type R is on the way.

Honda won't confirm, however, that the hot hatch Civic, which is due to be with us in early 2013, will carry the Type R badge (though it would be a brave chap indeed to bet against it).

But a hot Civic - whatever it ends up being called - is definitely on its way and, according to our chums at What Car?, it could even end up with a turbocharged engine.
Civic development leader Mitsuru Kariya told WC? at the Frankfurt show that the new 'Type R' will get 'at least' 250bhp - pretty much the hot hatch pre-requisite these days, especially if you want to take on the likes of the Renault Megane 250 Cup and the new Ford Focus ST.

But worry not (yet), fans of natural aspiration - Honda is going to think very hard before it plumbs a turbocharger into one of its performance cars and, although this seems the likely outcome, Honda is keen to point out that it may yet plump for a non-turbo motor.

From Pistonheads http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24343

·
Premium Member
15,644 Posts
That goes against everything I have read
Oh well ....Some of the CTR drivers will have something to hold onto
A positive move with a turbo charger..Giving the car the torque it lacks may make it less tiring to drive

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
k24a with IMA, that would be a great solution. And it seems to be a logical step, as the US Civic Si received that engine, although without battery power.

·
Registered
311 Posts
If that is true - whatever kind of engine is that, I may consider getting an R (since it is 5d).

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
It will never happen and if it does will be miles behind the competition. The prerequisite now is around 250bhp by the time Honda release a CTR the focus RS will have moved the game on again with around 400bhp. Oh Honda will you ever get it right:(

·
Premium Member
6,314 Posts
hmmm wait to see if honda do release a new type r,auto car say they wont as no word on 3door model.....:confused:wait to see what Honda do

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
It will never happen and if it does will be miles behind the competition. The prerequisite now is around 250bhp by the time Honda release a CTR the focus RS will have moved the game on again with around 400bhp. Oh Honda will you ever get it right:(
Honda wants to compete with the focus st not the rs. Big difference.
Now we just have to wait and see what they'll do. Release a ctr or not and N/A or not. If they do I'd like to see a N/A ctr with 300 bhp. :cool:

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I cant believe that anyone thought that they would bring out a new nsx but no civic type r it was always going to happen i hope they do a three door it looked nice photoshopped on the other thread!

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
Honda wants to compete with the focus st not the rs. Big difference.
Now we just have to wait and see what they'll do. Release a ctr or not and N/A or not. If they do I'd like to see a N/A ctr with 300 bhp. :cool:
That's just speculation I'm afraid, there is no proof Honda is even thinking about a new Type R vehicle, let alone one that will compete with Fords next gen ST - Why cant Honda aim a little higher to combat fords strangle hold on the power/hot hatch market?:confused:

You will never see a N/A 300 bhp Type R as the building of the engine alone would put the costs up to near M20 levels. Not to mention if BMW couldn't get a reliable 300+ N/A in the vanos powered 3.2 evo them I'm dead sure Honda can't, not without shoehorning a V8 into the front end. Turbo inclusion is the only way forward. Keep dreaming tho:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't know whether this news is true or not but I've only heard the opposite too, that a 9G Civic Type R is not on the way. In the latest copy of Auto Express there was a statement from an "insider" that there are no plans for a 3 door model and they have no plans to turbocharge small engines. So IF there is a Type R on the way then I would expect it to either be another NA engine with similar power to the 8G, or unless they go down the route of adding an electric motor to boost power like with the CR-Z.

·
TIMMEH!!!!!!
580 Posts
Great a type r.

Pitty it will be on such a ugly car.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts