2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the big day is counting down, only a few more weeks before my new civic is being delivered to me.....and im worried.

Your all going to have to just bear with me on this post, im a worrier by nature and loads of things are going through my mind at the moment.

The one thing I want is for everything to go smoothly with no problems, but me being a pessimist, i'm doubting that this is going to happen. With my car coming from Southampton all the way to me in Chester, as it was bought online through a broker, a lot of things can go wrong.

The main thing I am worrying about is having the car delivered to me and finding out that there is scratches/dents, you know just general cosmetic damage on it, that if you were picking it up from a local dealer, you could tell them about and they would fix it before you drive away with the car, obviously this is going to be difficult for me, with the car coming such a long distance away - I don't know what would happen, I don't want to accept a car that isn't in pristine condition, since I am paying for a new car, but I don't like the idea of them loading the car back up on the transporter and sending it all the way back down south for them to fix, meaning I am without my car for a good while without even taking it for a drive!!

Plus there are other little things, like - what if the car doesn't have a full tank of petrol when it gets delivered or it has too many miles on it? (thats a point, how many miles on the clock pre-delivery is acceptable on a brand new car do you reckon?). Again, these things you can sort of with a local dealer before you drive away, but with the dealer im with being hundreds of miles away, and the transporter driver having nothing to do with this type of thing - he's just paid to drive the cars to their destinations, not get involved with dealer issues - then all this is made more difficult.

Before I went ahead and ordered my Civic online, I sat down with my local dealer and thrashed out a deal with him for the car, I said that I would just check the internet to see if I could find a better deal and let him know what I was going to do. Turns out that an online broker could do me a much better deal so I let the local dealer know that I was going with them, and thanked him for his time. Now I know that would have annoyed the dealer because he had spent a good deal of time with me trying to get me to buy the car from him - so now if I ever need to take my car to the dealership to get anything repaired/servicing stuff etc - im thinking that I won't be very welcome there and get messed about a bit since I didn't buy the car from them. I know the warranty has to be honoured and all that, but I still worry that things will be difficult when going to my local dealer to sort things out.

Despite all this I can't wait to get my new car, but every time I read about one of the issues that you guys have with the Civic, i.e boot soaking you when you open it after rain, radio not being very reliable, noisy on the motorway, not brilliant build quality etc - it does make me worry that I have made the wrong decision. But then I think that no car is perfect, and I am pretty sure that it is a bit step up from my simple C2 that I have now, that has manual windows for gods sake!! So what I am getting with the Civic will be much better in comparison! So I hope that the niggles that some of you have been having with the car, won't play on my mind too much when I take delivery!

Plus stupidly, at the time I didn't think to ask for the car mats when I placed my order - I just assumed that they are included with the car! Do you think I would get away with phoning the dealer and feigning innocence, saying about the mats needing to be included with the car on delivery? If I don't - how much are these honda car mats? I had a look in Halfords the other day, and all the mats in there look pretty shoddy and probably won't fit properly anyway.

So there you go, I know plenty of you will be thinking that I shouldn't worry so much - but I can't help it and all these things are playing on my mind. Its a lot of money for me this, and I just want things to go through OK without any problems! Am I being worried over nothing?

Cheers everyone!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Don't worry so much!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Sorry, I couldn't leave it at that!

I can see why you're worried, it is like any problems that you may have could be even more complicated.

I'd say, if the car comes with cosmetiec damage, except it only if the delivery guy will sign a comment pointing out the damage was done prior to delivery.

If you do suffer from any problems that need to be sorted under warranty, just take it to the dealers. It is no skin off their nose, they get the money back from Honda UK. A lot of us are probably well known by the dealers for having problems with the car, and may feel the same way. To a certain extent, they won't be too rude to you, because they still ave business from you in the future with servicing and stuff.

Good luck, try not to worry, and remember, you have us lot to help if things don't go perfectly.

·
estranged
391 Posts
My Civic was delivered by a transporter to my office and, to be honest, I'd much prefer that than having some delivery driver revving the wotsits off it along the motorway! it had been well strapped down and was in perfect condition when it arrived. I had to inspect it and note any defects, but I don't know if that was just for my company (it's a company car) or if it's a normal thing.

If there are any scratches, or other transit damage, you should notify the dealer right away to get it resolved. It might indeed mean sending it back down south, but I guess that all depends if it's a 'real' dealer rather than a supplier. I'm afraid that's the chance one takes when buying in that way.

Any other defects which might, or might not, become apparent can be fixed by your local Honda dealer. I'm sure you're not their absolute favourite person right now, but hopefully they'll strive to keep your custom for servicing and parts if nothing else!

There are some issues with the Civic, of that there's no doubt, but pretty much everyone on here has no regrets about plumping for the Civic (If Honda UK keep committed to rectifying any faults in a prompt and efficient manner).

You really need the mats, and not just any old tat. You'll need ones that fit and don't foul the pedals, so I'd recommend the official Honda ones. It might also be an opportunity to break the ice with your local dealer if you arrive with £47 in hand to buy something of them :)

Anyway, I'm sure that everything will be fine and that the Civic will provide you with many years of happy motoring.

Let us all know how it goes ;)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Personally i would collect it.....this would give you a lot more control over the situation and settle some of your concerns....

They are going to deliver it on a transporter and not drive it aren`t they ???

I would also say that if you are collecting its saving him money so chuck in the car mats and space saver spare wheel...:)

But then i`m cheeky like that.....

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Problems with car upon delivery... Call dealer before signing and they will advise.

If there's no full tank of petrol then call the dealer and get them to send cheque for a tank.

Assuming a PDI was done, I'd expect less than 20 miles on the clock. Even if it were 50, it's not a big deal (bit odd tho).

·
Smell My Cheese!
1,888 Posts
I had a long list of issues when I collected the car, mostly cosmetic. I collected the car so could agree at handover that at some time in the following week they would collect my car, drop off a loaner and correct the problems. Silly things that to be fair I could have lived with, but its a new car. The dealer who has carried out my warranty work was not the dealer I got the car from, and over the weeks from deciding to get the Civic to ordering it I popped in there on a few occasions, even told them they would not get a sale out of me, but they were fine, they want your long term after sales business, the margins are a lot better I bet.

If there are issues then as has already been said if it is a warranty job you can just ring up a dealer and get it done, if they can't help then contact Honda CS, their telephone number is on their website somewhere.

Don't let a few little insignificant niggles spoil what should be a period of excitement, you've got a new car coming, and its going to be so much more fun than the C2.

Things like the boot, I guess we will all learn to find our own way to open it in the rain, I can see no fix, and to be fair I have not bothered to lodge a complaint over it. To be honest its a better design than my Laguna with the spoiler on the boot, lift the lid and all the water runs round the spoiler and into the boot, maybe you prefer that to over your head, but I prefer to get wet rather than the contents of my boot (paperwork, brocuhures etc).

You'll be fine, just take a chill pill, relax and get ready. I would take up the advice of Cad and go and order your mats from the dealer you didn't get the car from, if they remember you so well then they will surely see that you probably felt uneasy giong back in, go and bury the hatchet.[smilie=kiss.gif]

Less of this, [smilie=shake.gif] and more of this, [smilie=happydance.:

·
Banned
1,712 Posts
Spartan, if your worried now, wait 'till you get it !!!! ;)

Only joking --- Only joking. When you get your Civic, you'll be like a dog

with two tails. :cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks lads - feel a bit better after reading your replies! I'll talk to the dealer in Southampton before it comes down and sort things out with them, like the procedure if I find some damage on the car when its delivered etc.

Are the mats easy to fit yourself? Seems like i'll be getting them seperately from my local dealer.

I know I should relax and all that, but I just want everything to be right when I get it, im still excited though!

I'll let you all know how I get on :D

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Honda Mats just clip over posts down by seats... no problem even within my limited technical ability....:D:D:D

you will enjoy once you get it....the stress will all melt away

I imported my previous car from Spain via a transport company and had similar worries, but it was OK and the issues i had were fixed under warranty [smilie=cheeky-grin:

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Thanks lads - feel a bit better after reading your replies! I'll talk to the dealer in Southampton before it comes down and sort things out with them, like the procedure if I find some damage on the car when its delivered etc.

Are the mats easy to fit yourself? Seems like i'll be getting them seperately from my local dealer.

I know I should relax and all that, but I just want everything to be right when I get it, im still excited though!

JOhn Pease Honda will do you the mats at a discount. Might work out slightly cheaper even with the postage.

·
Registered
382 Posts

Spartan, I ordered my car through a discount scheme at work and it was delivered to me. Because the distance was less than 150 miles it was driven rather transported (dealer policy). I was concerned so I called the dealer and the reassured me of the quality and experience of the driver. I had no problems at all, and my local dealer has been great in sorting out the niggles. I was lucky enough to have no cosmetic damage at all though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sit down, relax and take deep breaths...

We've all been there, the key on the day of delivery is to use the checklist thats on this site somewhere, then take all the time you need once it's delivered to check your new arrival over. Don't be tempted to jump in a start driving it the minute it arrives. Have a digital camera and or a video camera available so that if you find anything wrong you have a record.

Regarding the local dealer - despite you not having bought the car off him, he will still provide a good service as he will want to get the business from servicing it, any warrenty issues etc. Your still a customer even if you did not buy the car off him.

Have Fun

Smifffy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Spartan

I had a previous car bought through a broker like yourself. It was driven by the dealer in Leicester to my home Crawley in Sussex and so had a couple of hundred miles on the clock.

Bit of a let down I suppose (being a new car it's kinda nice to see the first few miles tick over), but the single biggest piece of advice I can give you would be to get your car reistered with your local dealer as soon as possible. If there is a problem (and I'm sure there won't be ;) ) they'll sort it out much quicker if you are already a 'customer'.

Also, good advice from Smiffy - use the checklist and take your time.

And then enjoy it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Spartan

I had a previous car bought through a broker like yourself. It was driven by the dealer in Leicester to my home Crawley in Sussex and so had a couple of hundred miles on the clock.

Bit of a let down I suppose (being a new car it's kinda nice to see the first few miles tick over), but the single biggest piece of advice I can give you would be to get your car reistered with your local dealer as soon as possible. If there is a problem (and I'm sure there won't be ;) ) they'll sort it out much quicker if you are already a 'customer'.

Also, good advice from Smiffy - use the checklist and take your time.

And then enjoy it!
Thanks mate, not too long to go now!!

If the car was driven to your house, what did the guy who was driving it do when he dropped it off - where did he go? Was there someone following him who could give him a lift back??

I've been told my car will be coming on a transporter, so it shouldn't have that many miles on the clock *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
27 Posts

If the car was driven to your house, what did the guy who was driving it do when he dropped it off - where did he go? Was there someone following him who could give him a lift back??

No - he got me to drive him to the train station! Good salesman eh?

Actually, he knew his game - I wanted to drive the car, he wanted a lift - a marraige of convienience if ever there was one.

·
Registered
27 Posts

No - he got me to drive him to the train station! Good salesman eh?

Actually, he knew his game - I wanted to drive the car, he wanted a lift - a marraige of convienience if ever there was one.
Still can't get the hang of this 'quote' thingy :confused: :confused: :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts