2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

I recently bought a rather sad 06, Diesel EX for not much money.

My plan is to just bring it back to presentable, use it to get to work, and the odd dirty weekend...

I've given it a 100k service and spent a few happy weekends replacing trim, fog lights and loads of those little plastic plugs, etc..........

Inevitably the mirrors wont move, so i purchased the poly-fuses with the intention of doing the repair myself, but i had a thought.

All the repairs i've seen have been just replacing the poly-fuse, and re-burying it in hot glue.

How about using a small gauge wire to connect to the legs of the old poly-fuse, burying that in hot glue, and mounting the new poly-fuse on those wires?

It means the poly-fuse can be replaced without having to dig out all that cr4p again and also means i can experiment with the positioning of the poly-fuse, covering, not covering it, maybe even different poly-fuses.

So i had a go.

It's a fiddly job for 50+ year old eyes, but i managed to solder the new wires in place and glued them in.

So i now have 2 SOD units with 2 extra wire poking out of them. I don't have any shrink-wrap, so ordered some in, but i couldn't resist a dry run with my prototype SOD. I pulled off the mirror covers and re-connected one of my SOD's, i just poked the new poly-fuses into the ends of the new wires.

And guess what..... it only F*&^king folded........

So 2 conclusions, the poly-fuse fix is spot on, and it doesn't mind being remotely mounted, at least in the short-term.

So. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Are there any old threads that have similar experiments?

I would love to hear your experiences.

Ko-nichi-wa.

Ian.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ian,

You're sounding very pleased with yourself, steady on mate lol. I've repaired two so far, one successfully, the other not quite so
I don't suppose the Polyfuse knows or cares where it is mounted, but mounting it outside the housing really is preparing for the next time, not if just when. The only concern you might have is the location of the black housing, it's in quite a confined space to begin with, if you tuck the new 'external' polyfuse in as well then thats all good.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
considering these poly-fuses are are working for years before the the weather breaks them is it worth going to so much trouble, the chances are it's a one time fix for most of them and will last the rest of the life of the car

your going to have to weather proof the poly-fuse anyway it might as will be done in it's correct place

personally i would just fix n forget

nothing wrong with experimenting but they use that particular spec poly-fuse for a reason, if you try one with a higher current cut off rating it could damage the motor and if you try one with a lower cut off rating it probably won't fold the mirror properly
there will be some tolerance leeway but is it worth finding out ?

bit of a negative reply but it's just my thoughts on the subject :)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.
@cosmicma I understand exactly what you're saying, but i like to fiddle and i like to look at problems, and think, how can i improve that?

And i have time on my hands.:smile3:

I'm not necessarily thinking of a different rated poly-fuse, but maybe a different design, more robust?
Honda will have contracted these devices out on a budget to last the life of the warranty, but it could be done better. Kaizen......
@keithriley I think there's plenty of space behind that cover for my little poly-fuse, but I think it might benefit from being more robust, from my experience, these poly-fuses are really designed to be soldered to a circuit board, exposed, but in a well controlled temperature so I think a more robust poly-fuse is the way to go.

I think i'm going to have to spend some time doing some googling.

Ko-nichi-wa.

Ian.

·
more torque than the mrs
6,750 Posts
I've repaired around 15 of these in total and have repaired my cars sods twice in 7 years of ownership , I have a spare repaired sod ready and waiting for when it goes again..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

Update. :smile3:

Both SOD units repaired and replaced, but the passenger mirror still refuses to move.

Tested the SODs by swapping them over, both of them work.

OK, passenger door panel off. Rigging up a 12v supply across the motor wires at the mirror connector proves the mirror works fine. It folds in... and out. Did it a couple of times, "just for ***** and giggles......" :smile3:

So i have a break in the wiring between the door panel and whatever lies beyond.......

So i removed the door........ only kidding. :smile3:

Any suggestions?

Ko-Nichi-Wa.

Ian.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts