2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the VSA control make any difference when on soft, muddy ground, snow etc?
Not sure how it works but I know a place to find out!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi,

Vehicle Stability Assist, I think is Honda's version of ESP. If you go onto the Bosch website, you will find video clips and excellent information on the ESP and how it will help a driver, or not as the case may be. You can actually request a free DVD. It really is excellent and could well save your life. Ideally like ABS though, you should never feel it working but it is reassuring to know it is there should the need arise. It would be good to actually get the chance to get it demo'd in the Honda with and without VSA, the same way you can try out your ABS stopping in a straight line and then 'brake and avoid' so you know what it feels like. This demo ideally would need to be off-road.

Brian

·
Registered
226 Posts
The VSA combines abs, traction control and it also stops lateral sliding (over and under steer).

Bosch ran a course on the civic first drive that honda sent a few sales people on. The system is absolutely amazing. We played with it on an airfield, making an avoiding manouver at fifty mph. VSA on, not a jot of trouble. Off, and you span, in a large manner. Had seven goes with VSA of.

Bosch normally demo it at forty mph, but the Civic handles so well it had to be done at fifty.

If you push the car nice and hard, or dump the clutch, you will see the VSA light flash.

It can also be swithced of entirely, but I wouldn't do that

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
onboardtraining said:
Hi,

Vehicle Stability Assist, I think is Honda's version of ESP. If you go onto the Bosch website, you will find video clips and excellent information on the ESP and how it will help a driver, or not as the case may be. You can actually request a free DVD. It really is excellent and could well save your life. Ideally like ABS though, you should never feel it working but it is reassuring to know it is there should the need arise. It would be good to actually get the chance to get it demo'd in the Honda with and without VSA, the same way you can try out your ABS stopping in a straight line and then 'brake and avoid' so you know what it feels like. This demo ideally would need to be off-road.

Brian
Thanks for the info: Have sent off for the DVD. When I attempted to climb a short incline off road the VSA did not seem to make any difference. Lots of wheel spin and very little forward progress. The ground was slightly muddy/grass. Am I missing the point of it ? (I know it is good on normal road conditions)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Is the system on or off (not being sarcastic) If the wheels were spinning the yellow light should have been flashing like fury. The VSA light should be off when the system is on, it only illuminates as a warning that it is off

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Martin said:
Is the system on or off (not being sarcastic) If the wheels were spinning the yellow light should have been flashing like fury. The VSA light should be off when the system is on, it only illuminates as a warning that it is off
Tried with both the system on (no light) and off (light on)
Yes lots of flashing yellow lights but also lots of wheel spin.
Does VSA not include electronic diff lock type of function which might have helped.

·
Registered
226 Posts
there is no diff lock that I know about. If you are a bit easier on the gas it might be able to deal with.

Have only driven on wet grass, and going fairly gently, light accelerator in second gear gave me flashing lights, but with the bonus of traction

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Had mine on some wet grass over the weekend, didn't notice anything driving off which probably means the VSA is working as designed. Got an I-Shift which probably helps with a smooth take off and no clutch dramas

·
Registered
226 Posts
The I shift probably slips the clutch in a more steady manner as its not a human. VSA had to have helped some to

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
SUPERTEACH said:
Martin said:
Tried with both the system on (no light) and off (light on)
Yes lots of flashing yellow lights but also lots of wheel spin.
Does VSA not include electronic diff lock type of function which might have helped.
Having just watched the free Bosch DVD (which was delivered very quickly) the example of the car on the snow packed incline is just what I mean. However does the VSA Honda system include this feature?
Someone will know I bet.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thiswilldo said:
Superteach, someone seems to think the Bosch sensor is used but as yet have not actually seen it 'on board'.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/post3886.html#3886
Yes I have seen the message about the yaw sensor but I think that is to do with the ESP control.
On snow, ice, mud etc is there an anti-slip device as on the Bosch DVD? The Bosch TCS system
Can members from Finland help out here perhaps?

·
Registered
226 Posts
The system on the honda's is the bosch system.

Checked it out in my car two nights ago. Gentle accelerator was ok, but heavy accelerator made the wheels spin. seems that the more gentle you, the more likely you are to move in the direction you desire

1 - 13 of 13 Posts