2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked up in Lister Hospital's (Stevenage) car park last night. Firstly considering its a new state of the art car park that cost them 9 million pounds, the ramps are a joke! The ramps are so narrow, that you have to have your wits about you, there are lots of scrape marks along the walls, and bits of concrete taken out along the ramp high curbs. At least its was well lit.

Secondly, after finding the car park empty and parking beside a wall to avoid door knocks, I returned to find that some muppet in a 4x4 had parked right up beside my car. I happen to meet that muppet as I was leaving, and he commented 'its a bit tight'. I replied 'you could say that, and theres all those other spaces out there?' He just didn't bother replying. Some people deserve a good kicking!

Why do these ass holes do this, when the car park was empty?
:facepalm:

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
It happens everywhere I go too.

I like to think that people do this because they see we look after our cars so are unlikely to open our doors onto them.

I bet if I drove around in a £100 banger and parked it on its own nobody would park next to it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They obviously didn't look into a cars turning circle when they designed the ramps, and adding the high curbs on them is down right silly! The curbs are so high that they would damage your body work if you clipped them let alone your alloys.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
I went to Bath for a bit of shopping just before Christmas and as we were leaving I mentioned to the lady that the kerbs are stupidly high, on my way out I was following a Fiesta 08 plate IIRC and thought they are getting a little close.... Then bang crunched the bottom of the car on the kerb. Its crazy how high some are.

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
It's not all the Architects fault though, as their brief is to squeeze as many spaces into a given floor area.
This results in narrow drive areas and sharp turns to reduce the radius.
SO - don't blame me for a certain one in central London.;):)

·
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
941 Posts
Fitting an extra two money-making spaces on each level at the cost of the ramp size.

The multistory for the rail station here is the same, the barriers are dented to hell and have rainbow paint streaks on!

There are massive metal pipes above some spaces with no mention of limited headroom, so if you've got a 4x4 of roof bars you are likely to do some damage to yourself if you park in one.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I parked in the same car park and the same spot last night, the same thing happened. Some git parked so close to my car that I could hardly get back into the car, my passenger side was close to a wall too. I don't know how he got out of his car?

I did check my car for door knocks before leaving the car park, any dents I would hate to think what I would of done to his car! :scream1:

I think I'll park on the next level up tonight.

·
Premium Member
20,381 Posts
i always head for the roof one or the floor furthest away from the main shopping centre entrance i find women are drawn to the entrance and dont want to be exposed to the elements so less risk. my preference of course is that i dont go at all and that someone else takes our lass....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can understand that architects get given a brief that they have to meet, but I really think that there should be some sort of national standard that says how big the minimum car park space is. In my home town now our council have sold off their car parks to private companies who are ticketing anybody who is not completely in a bay, even if the bay is physically smaller than your vehicle. My colleague got done for the end of his van slightly protruding! I could understand if he'd parked badly, but he could literally not have been more central, or any further forward!

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
How strange. I was just discussing this very point at work. Apparently people park next to you on purpose to annoy the careful owner or in a busy car park, they reckon the guy with the shiny car is not going to knock theirs when leaving.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
This thread is quite typical of multi story car parks, and remember most architects are dreamers with big ideas etc.. so imagine getting the brief multi story carpark concrete structure clients requirements x amount of car parking spaces. not very testing...

Now having been a concierge at a hotel in Leeds during my studies, parking any car in a multistory is 1 a skill and 2 down to experience. I could drive a range rover sport round that particular one like a small hatch.. 2 years doing it and only ever bumped 1 car ... new bmw m5 ... auto gearbox and 500bhp made it jerky to reverse bang straight into a wall!

Now I'm currently based on a development were we have 110 car parking spaces located in some arches under a railway station.. each space is double what a normal one was as the design brief was each space must allow a range rover to be parked by a woman... we have commercial units too that require parking. So now I get the fun task of re sizing it and re applying for planning at the LA etc

·
Banned
1,929 Posts
Same story at Ikea in Southampton, going up and down the car park it feels fairly tight, although it isn't. There's just so many scrapes where people have hit their car, I don't know how they do it. I'm so vigilant with my car when driving through tight gaps, I don't understand how people can scrape their car. They might be slightly awkward, but they're obviously designed to fit my car and bigger.

·
Hon-da-da-da-da!
181 Posts
People think im an oddball when i get back to my car, i get down low and look down the wing and check for dorr dings.

Then theres the muppets (usually BMW'S) who take up two spaces. I had a suzuki sj offroader which are about 4 ft wide, and used to park at the side of them on purpose about 4" off. Feel free to bash your door against my rock sliders! He he.

·
Supporter
3,159 Posts
Octagon multi storey in Bolton is the worst I have ever been in, some people take 2 cuts at the ramp, at Christmas a bright yellow Renault left half their bumper paint on the huge barrier ( these things are the size of motorway crash barriers), the angle at the bottom will rip your spoiler off, even at crawling speed it can still scrape. One to be taken with extreme care:(

·
Registered
425 Posts
It is a PITA. My thinking for the reason why people do it is because if they park next to a nice car, they won't come back to dings in their doors, whereas if it's a banger, what have they got to lose by tw*tting your door?

As for the empty car park and having to park next to you, I have no theory for that :confused:

·
Oook
161 Posts
Ccc, I thinks it's a hospital thing.
The staff car park at the hospital I work at is a fluffing joke, very small spaces, narrow ramps, high kerbs and multincoloured walls from all the crashes... Also the supporting columns aren't given any space, and are on the lines... There's one every three spaces, making them smaller!
Had a woman in front of me a while ago coming out in a brand new people carrier, she drive into the column, reversed, drove into it again, did this about 6 times, until she lost it, slammed into reverse, and reversed... Into my car.
Ah well.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.