2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Living the dream!
8,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Parked the car on Friday at Swindon outlet centre and went shopping, when I parked there was no cars either side of me. When I returned approx 45 minutes later there is a car either side and a big mark in the dirt on the passenger door
, on closer inspection once I have cleaned the door I have a 50p size dent at the top and bottom of the door and a crease line in-between the dents and another crease line as well. I was well ****ed and felt like kicking the likely suspects car at the side, but went to security who checked the cctv footage and they found at 10:30am a car parked at the side and when opening the door banged mine (which must have been very hard to leave all the damage) and then got back in their car and moved to another parking space. Now the problem is due to the data protection act security will not give me any info so I have reported the hit and run accident to the police, which is an offence and then used the legal services on my insurance to obtain all the details required to make a claim for the damage to my car. I suppose the best part is because the driver who did this must know what they have done due to then parking there car in another spot and this can be seen by all on the cctv so will be good in court if it goes that far, so I suppose I am quite happy about it has I have the cctv evidence and the legal services to make the claim very easy.

The police have the CCTV footage and have confirmed a letter is in the post to the owner of the car to find out who was driving at the time etc, I have been told they have 28 days to reply. Once they know who the driver is then I will get the details for the insurance company

·
Lord of JAE.....
5,395 Posts
I'm glad the police did their job, as under the police and criminal evidence act they can seize anything that is classed as evidence of a crime (technically you can too, that privacy bit is total bulls**t, they have a legal obligation to pass it on as a crime has been committed, as far as my legal knowledge goes...my friend did the same when a car clouted his in a carpark, he's on motability, so doesn't mind too much, but did it on principle....), technically the car that hit you is guilty of criminal damage. I hope they fine the guy big time.

Unfortunately though if the cars owner gives 25-55 names then the police will likely give up as it is "Not economically viable to continue the investigation"..................... Fingers crossed though it's just some dozy git who has only one person on their policy.......... :) Hit and Run, fleeing the scene of an accident, criminal damage, would love to see their face as they open the letter :)

ATB,
Tom

·
You're or your..........
2,782 Posts
:( Hope damage is fixed soon.

This is why I never park in a busy car park, always look for end spaces tight upto a wall or *************************. Because there is always some scum out there in a 50 year old banger who don't care about other peoples property.

**EDIT TTDegs
The stared out remark above has been removed, as whilst it in no way broke any forum rules, it did create a host of replies that had little or nothing to do with the original post.
They have all (inc an un-edited copy of this post) been moved to -> http://www.civinfo.com/forum/any-non-civic-chat-here-please/22382-parking.html which is (currently) in the OT section.

Many thanks
TTDegs

·
Registered
49 Posts
mate u got LUCKY...when my Astra got stolen, the CCTV cameras were all dummies!!!!!

·
Administrator
19,165 Posts
Well at least you found the person who hit your car and hopefully you can get it all sorted. It's all very frustrating I agree.

People just don't care about other people's belongings anymore :(

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I always park away from other cars for this reason, but it is surprising how many times I return to my car to find someone right next to me and the spots around us are all empty!

:confused:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
will do, bit of look the damage will be sorted friday then I just have to claim the costs back
Hi mate

I have a much much smaller dent from a similar incident a little while ago. I'm only in Nottingham, so if the guys who looks at your car is any good please can you led me have his details?

Cheers buddy

Rich

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Good to hear that the Police are doing something and good on you for pursuing it. It drives me mad when people do this. I was sitting in my car whilst parked once talking on my phone and some dozy bint in a Chelsea tractor threw her door open and banged mine. I gave her a glare and she copped an instant attitude as though she was outraged that I should care "it's alright - carry on with your phone call" she says in an arsey way.

Hit and run (or failing to report an accident as it's correctly known) may be a little tenuous, although criminal damage (recklessness as to property damage) is a possible. Unless there has been a change in the law that I don't know about then it isn't technically an accident, as it didn't happen on a public road in the legal sense of the word. Good luck.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good to hear that the Police are doing something and good on you for pursuing it. It drives me mad when people do this. I was sitting in my car whilst parked once talking on my phone and some dozy bint in a Chelsea tractor threw her door open and banged mine. I gave her a glare and she copped an instant attitude as though she was outraged that I should care "it's alright - carry on with your phone call" she says in an arsey way.

Hit and run (or failing to report an accident as it's correctly known) may be a little tenuous, although criminal damage (recklessness as to property damage) is a possible. Unless there has been a change in the law that I don't know about then it isn't technically an accident, as it didn't happen on a public road in the legal sense of the word. Good luck.
As it?!?! what was the outcome then?

1 - 20 of 132 Posts