2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
First of all hello everyone. I'm new here, and new to the forum 'scene' so apologies if I have already broken forum rules!

I really need some answers! I bought a Sep 2007 Civic Type-R (FN2) with 28000 miles on the clock. i'm the 3rd owner. Since then i've noticed that it seems like i'm driving with the brakes on or driving through mud, particularly any a speed below 70mph. There is also a lot of jerking especially at lower speeds. Frequently I can pin the throttle to the floor and there is a 1 sec delay before the engine responds and even then it doesn't seem to accelerate particularly fast (although I have not timed the in-gear acceleration). I drove my brother's RX8 192 recently (which has similar power and weight) and it feels significantly faster, although this is a subjective measurement. Also if I try to accelerate fast at higher revs because of the delay in throttle response there is a thump in the back as the engine finally responds after the delay. On occasion the engine feels free and you can tell the difference in terms of acceleration and general driveability.
I hope I can get some answers!:)
Many thanks
T

·
COTM Feb 2012
3,995 Posts
Are you waiting for it to warm up before you go for it? are these problems present when VTEC is available?

·
Hon-da-da-da-da!
181 Posts
Id get your rear brakes and handbrake checked. Mine is a 57 plate with 13k on it and the back brakes were binding big time. To the point where it would hold on a slope that it should normally roll down.

Rear callipers need stripping and greasing.

Its a different car to drive now.

·
R.I.P - (User sadly passed away)
9,228 Posts
Yeeppp - sounds like the rear brake calipers are 'binding' - removal \ overhaul \ refurb \ reinstallation ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. I thought it might be the brakes but then how do you explain the delay in throttle response? Another new chapter emerged today when going around a small-ish roundabout the front passenger side wheel locked for a split second. This happened not once but twice at two different times at different roundabouts on the same day. Needless to say my heart was in my mouth for that moment, especially the second time when I was going around 30. Hmmm, maybe it is the brakes...

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Definitely sounds like brakes to me. Amongst the service history on my car is a relatively recent bill paid by the previous owner for a rear brake overhaul so it may be a fault that is well known.

On throttle response, the old vtec thing does take some getting used to. Torque tending to kick in at higher revs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.