2006+ Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about 80 miles into my 110 mile journey home, and was playing my MP3 CD in my standard HU on my FN2

Suddenly a loud pop and no sound was coming out from the speakers, I took the CD out and it was burning hot, I switched to radio again I heard a pop and no sound at all, not even static....

I waited a while and put the CD back in and it started playing again, but I took the CD out after half a song and it was burning hot again, went back to the radio and it wouldn't search a station, it just kept on scrolling the frequencies and wouldn't lock onto any station!

I switched the car off when I got to a car park, turned it on and everything was fine again...

Although, half way through the journey I noticed my MFD was playing up

You can see the unlit areas were more visible, so I went into supermarket, did a 5 min shop, came back and switched the car on and the MFD was back to normal

Has anyone got any ideas? is there something wrong with the CD, getting hot and then causing the radio to cut out? Can you guys test an MP3 CD for 30 seconds and see if it gets red hot too?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not good with electronics, so is the only way to fix this fitting a new head unit?

and will this issue cause any other problems with other electrical parts of the car?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol, i'm no electrician and I've no soldering iron and i'm not that delicate either haha

whats a second hand radio cost these days? assume you need the key code for it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lol, I have solderphobia too! Surely it's a sign to switch to a double din but you can always get codes for virtually nothing online if you stick with a stock unit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
soldering the lcd display board does not fix this, my display has been soldered as i changed the leds to green, still get a fully lit display from time to time and still have the radio/cd popping.
if people have changed the HU and eliminated the issue then surely the stock HU is at fault and soldering the display will do nowt??

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how do you get codes only? surely you'd need to decode the unit first?

how difficult is it to remove the HU? I can see online videos just stripping the trim, the difficult part is always getting it put back together isn't it

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
how do you get codes only? surely you'd need to decode the unit first?

how difficult is it to remove the HU? I can see online videos just stripping the trim, the difficult part is always getting it put back together isn't it
its easy to get it out, see here. the thread goes deeper into the HU than you need and explains troublesome spots.

http://www.civinfo.com/forum/how/170801-how-change-stock-headunit-illumination.html

its easy to put back too:D

and i dont think its coded, mines been out a couple of times and never needed to enter a code on refitting.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Guys

I have a strange query, when i'm using the radio, the display doesn't seem to power up the unlit pixels, it's only when I started playing an MP3 CD for about 1.5 hrs it started to go weird.

Is this a symptom of the optical laser showing it's age?

I'm going to try it out with just a standard CD to see if it's the same.

I've noticed that sometimes the CD can get burning hot, almost too hot to hold, whilst other times it's hot, but not untouchable, what are the factors causing this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
Has anyone had any more lights on this as I have just had the amse hot CD and track skipping symptoms or shutdown of the CD player on a journey back from Southampton to Sheffield. Could it simply be the CD player mechanism getting hot and shutting down due to a lack of lubrication?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts